The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
Northwest Outlaw

Final Check List Advice

After a year and half i'm within a week of getting the '61 "Boomstick" back to running and driving status. Check out my build thread for the long version, but the short story is I've swapped in a SBC 350 and TH400, disc brake conversion on the front with power brakes booster, lowered 2.5"/3" (spindle and springs), new radiator, engine bay wiring, and new driveline.
This is my first project so i'm looking for a list of all the things i should check before trying to put her in gear and drive off into the sunset. Thanks in advance.
Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:49 AM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Final Check List Advice

Did you grease the new ball joints and u joints? New ones always need to be hit with a grease gun after installation.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
notsolo

Beautiful clean work under the hood. Make a check list, antifreeze, oil, trans fluid everything you have replaced. E brake work? Brakes bleed... Spend some time doing an inspection and fluid check.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Northwest Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Did you grease the new ball joints and u joints? New ones always need to be hit with a grease gun after installation.
Yes, ball joints were greased on install and the drive shaft u-joints are brand new "maintenance free" which the guy said are good for 100K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Beautiful clean work under the hood. Make a check list, antifreeze, oil, trans fluid everything you have replaced. E brake work? Brakes bleed... Spend some time doing an inspection and fluid check.
Thanks, i figured whatever areas i work on should look good even if the whole truck doesn't! Brakes were bled after install and i'm not able to push the truck when some one is on the brake pedal. I'll be doing a bunch of slow rolling brake tests though to be sure. the E-brake needs a new cable...
Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote