The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2023, 02:45 PM   #176
daveshilling

Re: 55 in NH build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_C View Post
Ya I'm hoping the brakes are good. I just rebuilt the rears and I have a Wilwood adjuster off the the hydroboost. The PO installed the hydro and complained about the brakes but I believe he may have had his lines crossed.

I still haven't messed with my ebrake yet. I picked up a Camaro electric setup that I'm going to try to wire into the Camaro center console.
I haven't either.. I like that the later vette rears are setup for it so easily, but I'm wrestling with:
  • A push-button "Parking brake" that would be essentially useless in an emergency, or
  • A foot pedal "Emergency Brake" that I can control the amount of pressure with manually if something were to happen with my brakes somehow.

The foot pedal brake will attach right to the hood hinge bolts like it was made to fit there, but adds some clutter and additional installation complexity.

The E-Stopp style makes the remote mount easy, the button is cool, but if my brakes go out it just locks the rears completely...after seeing that video of the red Impala (I think it was) lose brakes and just smash into parked cars at a red light, the old school pedal brake feels like a lil insurance policy.

I guess have no reason to assume I'd lose all braking power front and rear, but with basically zero safety features in these trucks, maybe ONE feature is good?
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:34 PM   #177
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
I haven't either.. I like that the later vette rears are setup for it so easily, but I'm wrestling with:
  • A push-button "Parking brake" that would be essentially useless in an emergency, or
  • A foot pedal "Emergency Brake" that I can control the amount of pressure with manually if something were to happen with my brakes somehow.

The foot pedal brake will attach right to the hood hinge bolts like it was made to fit there, but adds some clutter and additional installation complexity.

The E-Stopp style makes the remote mount easy, the button is cool, but if my brakes go out it just locks the rears completely...after seeing that video of the red Impala (I think it was) lose brakes and just smash into parked cars at a red light, the old school pedal brake feels like a lil insurance policy.

I guess have no reason to assume I'd lose all braking power front and rear, but with basically zero safety features in these trucks, maybe ONE feature is good?
Hmmm....

Everyone loves electrical things these days. I wonder how adaptable a trailer brake controller is to an OE electric park brake. Or maybe a transmission mounted drum brake made from trailer brake would provide enough braking for an emergency?

Just thinking...
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:02 PM   #178
dsraven

If doing a driveline brake and you're fabbing stuff just use a disc brake. It will mount easier to the yoke maybe.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:50 PM   #179
Kevin_C

Well lets just say progress has been minimal and my motivation has been dropping with the temperature. I've started installing my Vintage Air setup. Condenser and Evap is installed. I haven't decided if I'm going use their hard lines and relocate where I was planning to installing my overflow and washer tank or get creative. Do to the fact that my AC compressor is down low on the driver side I picked up some rectangular tube to make a cross bar that I can support the lines with. While looking at the mount that we made to adapt a SD7 compressor to a Gen V engine I realized that the ac manifold will interfere with the mount. I was able to redesign the mount moving it forward eliminating all the spacers and had a friend draw it up in cad. We 3d printed it just so I could test before having the parts laser cut. Parts are do to ship on friday. I think I may take some CAD courses in the future along with maybe a buying a 3d printer. ;-) it was pretty cool being able to print a mockup
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2023, 01:20 AM   #180
greystoke

Very cool!!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=305629
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:07 AM   #181
6DoF

3D to reality is super satisfying!
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:41 AM   #182
57FleetsideC4

Very nice fab work!! Steve
Old 02-17-2024, 04:24 PM   #183
Kevin_C

Finally had a chance to get the bracket welded. I ended up making a front cross bar so the ac line will have something to mount to and not hang.
Attached Images