The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Chevy_mud_truck

Need some recommendations

I'm getting closer to having all the part need to start building but in need a little help. 1978 crew cab dually with a 99 24 valve cummins nv4500 60 front 80 rear with 4:10 gears 35" tall tires fass lift pump arp head studs. The truck will be used for towing and daily driver I looking for recommendations on turbos and injectors or turbo and programmer or do all three I looking for a strong towing and clean as possible exhaust I absolutely don't want it belching black smoke some black hazing till the turbo lights I can dill with but I don't want to smoke everyone out every time I pull out I've just about ready to start pulling my hair out trying to research it my self on the internet I'm hoping someone with some real hands on experience might help by share some knowledge Thanks
Chevy_mud_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Need some recommendations

My daily driver is a 98.5 24v with a blue chips VP, airdog150, and 7x.010 injectors. It runs awesome, hardly smokes at all. Even at WOT, and tows fine. It really ran great when it had a smarty on it. This truck has 465k on it too. Still gets 20mpg and is dead reliable. I have another truck we just worked on which is a 110k mile 99. We put 7x.010s in it, and a new reman VP44 from area diesel with a stock lift pump. (Customer's choice) It has a comp box on it but doesn't need it. That truck will blow boots off at 42psi when the converter locks. It smokes with the comp on, but nothing that isn't controllable with your foot. Both trucks have HX35w's.

Now, for turbo or turbos. A small S300 is what I'd go with but you can make good power with a HX35. If you plan to make 400 on up, use a S300. On injectors, my brother builds them and if you'd like a price on them I can get you the info and prices. I can also get you a turbo or what ever else you may need. For tow twins you can run your stock HX35, drill the divider through the center and to a larger hole. Put a S471 under it and you will have a nice spooling set of turbos that can make 500hp reliable and clean.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
Chevy_mud_truck

Re: Need some recommendations

Thanks for the information I have a new remain Bosch vp pump and the fass I have is a 150 motor has 175xxx. On the injectors I have read the more hole help Atomizes fuel better which help with smoke and if the spray pattern don't hit the bowl right it can cause higher egt's. And as for turbos I have really done a lot of reading on compounds man there's so many to choose from and so many problems if you don't get them matched up lazy or laggy spooling or if the turbo are to close in size it causes the drive pressure to spike up to high and if one is to small it chokes the other and no clear info on a programmer some say you have to have for adding timing some was saying it was not nesserey one was said timing cause smoke some said it help prevent it. And first chance you get shot me some prices and information on the injectors from your brother thanks
Chevy_mud_truck is offline   Reply With Quote