The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Process for removing fender liner?

I need to finally pull my inner fenders out to save some weight off the frontend, and do the Portebuilt hinge relocation....but I'm not sure where to start with the inner fenders.

Can I removed the fender liners with the front clip still attached? Or do I need to pull the outer fenders and grill shell off to remove them? I'd like to NOT take the whole front end apart if I can avoid it.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Re: Process for removing fender liner?

How much weight will you save with removing the inner fenders?
I have removed inners without taking the fenders off- but it was at a pullapart junkyard and the outside fenders were toast and I didn't have to worry about them. I wouldn't take the chance with your truck however and would pull the outers- or the whole front clip even.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Woogeroo

check markeb01's build thread, I think he had his inner fenders off the truck last year for awhile... he's always changing things around on his ride.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
How much weight will you save with removing the inner fenders?
I'd guess 40ish for the pair. I'm doing some weightloss and its part of the gig. It also make my life easier when/if I decide to mod the crossmember and get a rack n pinion so I can lose the 50lbs from that paper-weight steering gear.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
ChrisDollins

Weigh the inners when you get them out. Wonder if some thin aluminum could be used to replace them. Just would be nice to not throw water and road grime all over your engine when you get caught out in it. I'm a "deletion" kind of guy, always fun to get the weight down and better located. But I agree, I would do anything to not have to pull the front clip.

Chris
ChrisDollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDollins View Post
Weigh the inners when you get them out. Wonder if some thin aluminum could be used to replace them. Just would be nice to not throw water and road grime all over your engine when you get caught out in it. I'm a "deletion" kind of guy, always fun to get the weight down and better located. But I agree, I would do anything to not have to pull the front clip.

Chris
I've thought about that very situation, and my solution is something I learned back in the mini-truckin days....TRAILER FENDERS!

I'm gonna grab a large single aluminum fender for about $50, cut it in half, and make two small fender-ettes for the wheels. Whether I put it on the frame or actually try to float in on the a-arm is another thing entirely. If it works for the guys mini tubbing for bags, I figure it would work for this too.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
ChrisDollins

Cool! I'm sure that could be made to work and still be light. I like trick lightweight stuff.

Chris
ChrisDollins is offline   Reply With Quote