The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
jmlcolorado

68 2WD C10, want power steering w/ hydroboost

Okay, so this sounds easy enough by the title, but let me complicate it a bit.
Have a 68 C10 with manual steering box. I would like to gain power steering and power brakes.
Catch is I have a cummins 4bt in the engine bay.
Cummins power steering pumps are gear driven (older generations at least). The pump on the engine has 3 ports.
1 large that appears to be just for remote reservoir, and two other pressure lines. I'm not sure if this is a hydroboost pump or not.
I'm not afraid to chase down a hydroboost power steering pump.
The I would need the hydroboost/master cylindar setup.
I don't know if the dodge master cylindar would work with the brakes I currently have.
Drums on rear, 73+ disk brake conversion up front.
Next, the gear box for the power steering. I have no clue what gear box will work that has the same pitman arm splines and size. I'm not concerned about mounting it. I'll build whatever bracket I might need.

Only other question, is with hydroboost, do all components need to match (pressure regulating wise) to properly work?
In other words, if I convert to Chevy power gear box designed for hydroboost, will a dodge pump provide enough/too much pressure for the box? Likewise if I use dodge pump, pressures for the master cylinder be too much?

I suppose the easiest route is going to be converting to power steering with one of the Chevys that came with hydroboost power steering to make the master cylinder and gear box match. Just to get the pump to match.

Am I over thinking this whole thing?
jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:03 AM   #2
boynton

Re: 68 2WD C10, want power steering w/ hydroboost

I think you are over thinking it. If I remember correctly you should have one pressure line and two returns. I know most newer '03+ Chevrolet 3/4 tons have a hydraboost system. I would go to a parts yard and look at one all hooked up and then take it all off. I am using a '70 power steering box with a 3/4 power steering pump (6.0 swap). I just blocked off the second return line on the pump. I have about 1000 miles like this with no issues. I think originally the pressure went to the steering box then to the brake booster. There was just a "t" in the line. Someone smarter feel free to correct me.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
67 chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynton View Post
I think you are over thinking it. If I remember correctly you should have one pressure line and two returns. I know most newer '03+ Chevrolet 3/4 tons have a hydraboost system. I would go to a parts yard and look at one all hooked up and then take it all off. I am using a '70 power steering box with a 3/4 power steering pump (6.0 swap). I just blocked off the second return line on the pump. I have about 1000 miles like this with no issues. I think originally the pressure went to the steering box then to the brake booster. There was just a "t" in the line. Someone smarter feel free to correct me.
Agree , sounds like you need a stock c10 power steering box , i used a 78 on my 68 for the quicker ratio , a hydroboost , and alot of hoses , you may need a pitman arm also if yous does not fit
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
jmlcolorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
Agree , sounds like you need a stock c10 power steering box , i used a 78 on my 68 for the quicker ratio , a hydroboost , and alot of hoses , you may need a pitman arm also if yous does not fit
This helps immensely!
My next question was what steering box to use, but you already covered that.
I've heard that hydroboost' are all nearly the same, so I think I'll go dodge hydroboost, with dodge pump (since its gear driven) and 78 gear box. This should get me all setup.
I appreciate the input!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
jmlcolorado

So am I correct in assuming that any power steering gear box will work with a hydroboost system, even if the gear box was initially installed with a dedicated power steering pump system previously?

Ironically enough, I just inherited a totaled 03 Avalanche that I was told has hydroboost on it. Perfect candidate for parts.
5.3 engine will be going into my gen 3 camaro.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
68c10airstream

I sourced a 1985 c10 gear box for my 68 c10 ls conversion. About 77 and newer should be o'ring style lines and i prefer the variable ratio 3 1/2 turns lock to lock unless you want to autocross. The variable ratio came about from twitchy over reacting quicker fixed ratios in corvettes going very fast. Gm trucks usually have the variable ratio stated on the glove box lid on the inside. It's about 17/1 ratio straight ahead and then quickens up to about 13/1 once you steer past about 1/4 turn out from straight ahead.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
jmlcolorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
I sourced a 1985 c10 gear box for my 68 c10 ls conversion. About 77 and newer should be o'ring style lines and i prefer the variable ratio 3 1/2 turns lock to lock unless you want to autocross. The variable ratio came about from twitchy over reacting quicker fixed ratios in corvettes going very fast. Gm trucks usually have the variable ratio stated on the glove box lid on the inside. It's about 17/1 ratio straight ahead and then quickens up to about 13/1 once you steer past about 1/4 turn out from straight ahead.
Thanks for that info! I almost pulled the trigger on ordering a '72 box.
Are you hooked to hydroboost or vac booster?