The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
ZZ4Blazer

Those that are low..I mean LOW!!!

I picked up a 70 short bed stepside. I've always wanted this style of truck, and I got this one for a decent price. But, being in the rustbelt, she's gonna need some work.

Anyhow, I bought this truck specifically to bag, and to tuck 20's.

I've been browsing the forum for a while now, and have checkout out tons of the different threads. Went through all like 20 some pages of the crossmember drop thread, etc.

I noticed all the pics of everyones truck, is a fleetside. I know Im gonna have to step notch the rear to get really low, but Im worried about the tires hitting the top of the fenders. Fleetside guys can notch the fenders without looking bad cause you could cover the bed, or even raise the fenders inside the bed without it looking bad.

I was taking some rough measurements, I think with a 27-28" tire that'll just give me enough when I eventually get the rocker on the ground.

For those guys that are railing it, what size tire are you running in the rear, and are you hitting/cut the top of the fender?
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I have a 28 inch tire on the back of my stepside. There's miles of room up in the fenderwell for tire clearance. The fleetside bed uses the wheelwells which are much tighter. There is no wheelwell in a stepside truck. You can tuck the tire all the way up till it hits the inside top of the fender.

Mine is dropped 6 inches in the rear, and there's plenty of room, that the frame could touch the ground before the tire rubbed the fender.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:19 PM   #3
ZZ4Blazer

Thanks again man. Got any pics of your truck?
Old 09-03-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
PrimeredThunder
Back from the Dead

Heres a few pics of a bagged stepside thats running pretty low...looks like he's running 17" cragars in the first pic and 18's in the second one...seems to me that you should have enough room...but with a bodydrop I'm not sure. Hope these help!
Kenny
Attached Images

Salem, Oregon
PrimeredThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:41 AM   #5
Sublvr72
Account Suspended

see the link in my sig for pics of my burb
Sublvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer
Anyhow, I bought this truck specifically to bag, and to tuck 20's.

I was taking some rough measurements, I think with a 27-28" tire that'll just give me enough when I eventually get the rocker on the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
I have a 28 inch tire on the back of my stepside. There's miles of room up in the fenderwell for tire clearance.

Mine is dropped 6 inches in the rear, and there's plenty of room, that the frame could touch the ground before the tire rubbed the fender.
I've got to disagree with that assessment. Aside from the height, you have to deal with the fact that the fender gets narrower at the top. I've got not-so-wide 255/50/17's on the rear of my truck (27.1" tall) and they are almost touching the top and outside of the fender when dropped. My rocker is a LONG way from the ground and it's not going to get much closer in the rear.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 05:54 PM   #7
PrimeredThunder
Back from the Dead

What about tubbing the bed with inner fenders as well so you could mount a wheels with more positive offset....or narrow the rearend? Just a thought...

Kenny

Salem, Oregon
PrimeredThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 06:10 PM   #8
ZZ4Blazer

I did notice that the fenders taper down as the go out. I was trying to measure from right at the edge where it was the lowest. I guess I'll pretty much just have to wait and see.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeredThunder
What about tubbing the bed with inner fenders as well so you could mount a wheels with more positive offset....or narrow the rearend? Just a thought...
Actually, I was thinking the same thing. After I get my cab swapped out, I'm going to pull the bed for some major rework. I was thinking I could mini-tub the bed (maybe 3" or so) and then move the step fenders out (long story on this part... other mods I'm planning in this area as well) about 2". That would give me LOTS more room for playing with offsets and the ability to run something wider than an 8" wheel. Unless you want to run reallllly wide meats I don't think you'd need to narrow the rearend as there's plenty of room before you hit the frame rails for lots of wheel and tire (if the fender and bed wall wasn't there, of course).
Old 09-07-2004, 06:50 PM   #10
loweredd
www.loweredd.com

I had a 305/50/20 on all 4 corners, with the rocker on the ground, and no rubbing in the front. The rear did a VERY little. That was from dragging the backend though, which was with the front ALL the way up and the back down, which would put the back lower then if it was sitting with all corners down. (if you know what I mean) On the front, the top of the tires would tip in before they hit the fender. I had to go with a shorter tire in the front becuase it would have hit on the lip where the hood closes at the top of the fender.
loweredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:35 PM   #11
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweredd
I had a 305/50/20 on all 4 corners, with the rocker on the ground, and no rubbing in the front.
The OP was looking at 67-72 stepsides... so a little different situation in the rear than you've got. How about some pics of your truck in another thread
Old 09-08-2004, 10:00 AM   #12
loweredd
www.loweredd.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
The OP was looking at 67-72 stepsides... so a little different situation in the rear than you've got. How about some pics of your truck in another thread
He did kinda say stepside, huh? LOL, I just took some pics in the driveway this morning. I'll post them in a few minutes.
loweredd is offline   Reply With Quote