The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
Kevin_C

powered lowered I beam question

So I'm starting to prep for the Flat-out IFS install. The previous owner installed a lowered power I beam with a 5 lug disc brake conversion. Its a nice clean setup but I have no idea what to do with it. Any guess as to how much I should throw it on craigslist for? I know it has a really limited market but I hate to just trash it.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: powered lowered I beam question

id figure out what the cost of parts is & then put it up for about half that cost. should move quick.
Is that a power rack on that I beam? Ive wondered how they are set up and how they drive.How does the steering shaft expand and contract with the axle moving up and down?
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
Kevin_C

the shaft telescopes but I agree its a bit interesting. the engine was leaking oil pretty bad when I bought it so I just drove it around the neighborhood a couple of times. the power steering worked good but I never hit any real road bumps to see how the suspension worked.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #4
mr48chev

That is a tube axle rather than an I beam. Still a guy is looking at some serous coin there with all that setup. I don't know how many guys we have within driving distance of you but I'd think there will be someone look at that and make you an honest offer in a PM. I won't post my opinion on price here but you can pm me if you want to know if you are in the ballpark with what I think.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
1project2many

That's a neice setup. If there's no interest from the truck or hotrod crowd then you may have good luck selling that setup to the vintage racers. There's a big meet in June at NHMS.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That is a tube axle rather than an I beam. Still a guy is looking at some serous coin there with all that setup. I don't know how many guys we have within driving distance of you but I'd think there will be someone look at that and make you an honest offer in a PM. I won't post my opinion on price here but you can pm me if you want to know if you are in the ballpark with what I think.
Yep, that's one of those dropped tube axles with the forged ends that they sell on Speedway and others.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...Axle,5842.html

HONESTLY, Kevin, why change it? That is a great setup, what are your expectations of the truck, autocrossing? Really, that is a great setup! If you find there are some issues, it could simply be alignment or something. I would SERIOUSLY think about spending some time on that front end if there was an issue and running the wheels off that truck with a smile on your face just the say it is!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
Kevin_C

Thanks Martinsr. when I bought the truck I was looking for a project that I could make my own. I never like to start with anything to original that would be a shame to cut up and this truck was already heavily modified. My original plan was for IFS and a 4 bar rear but along the way I switched to full C4 suspension using the Flat-out Engineering. The IRS is already installed and I have already purchased the IFS kit and components. Hopefully this front suspension can find a good home somewhere
Old 09-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
regan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_C View Post
Thanks Martinsr. when I bought the truck I was looking for a project that I could make my own. I never like to start with anything to original that would be a shame to cut up and this truck was already heavily modified. My original plan was for IFS and a 4 bar rear but along the way I switched to full C4 suspension using the Flat-out Engineering. The IRS is already installed and I have already purchased the IFS kit and components. Hopefully this front suspension can find a good home somewhere

what lug pattern you have on there? im looking to get to somethin similar to what you have there but finding difficulties finding a 5x5 pattern for my orig spindles and disc brakes
regan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
Kevin_C

its a 4&3/4 bolt pattern.
Attached Images