The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Has your truck been a learning experience?

I have learned so much since beginning work on my truck. I've learned a ton of new things and new skills. I now have all sorts of new tools: 1/2 inch drives, wrenches, double flare kit, etc.

Has it been the same for anyone else?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
tommys72

Re: Has your trunk been a learning experience?

My truck doesn't have a trunk....so I'd say no

In all seriousness, yea I've learned a lot, and will continue to I'm sure

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
HeavyD

I learned if you dont have a full resto planned out and funds to do it, dont pull it apart. Just fix stuff to keep it running and driveable and do one thing at a time. Makes the fun continue vs getting burnt out in every way possible
Old 09-20-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
I learned if you dont have a full resto planned out and funds to do it, dont pull it apart. Just fix stuff to keep it running and driveable and do one thing at a time. Makes the fun continue vs getting burnt out in every way possible
Couldn't agree more.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #5
Xeen

Quote:
x2

I've learned tons but I want to learn a lot more, this is just the beginning for me.
I still need to learn to fabricate and weld, auto body, paint, advanced electrical and lots more.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:21 AM   #6
BigMike

Oh ya! In hindsight, there are so many things I wish I would have done differently but I didn't know that before I did them. I guess since it's still not painted I could go back and do some of them but don't want to mess up my interior...shave drip rails, weld in the roof seam, shave the factory steering column hole and get the billet swivel mount/hole, shave the dash speaker hole...but I digress.

Only thing I can do is to look forward instead of backwards... I knew a lot of the things like body & paint, rebuilding engines and wiring but I still learned new ways of doing some of them. Plus the great wealth of knowledge I gained from being a part of the best C10 brotherhood website on the planet!!! I am now going to be learning air management, airbags and how to run the lines when I place an order next week
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
cooperhw

Re: Has your truck been a learning experience?

I have done a bunch of cars and a few trucks over the past 4 decades of doing this stuff but still learn new stuff.
This board is really good place to grab some knowledge and put it in motion.
Part of the creative process.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Having bought my first truck in 2001 and never doing much mechanically to vehicles previously, owning, driving and working on the truck has been very rewarding. Tackling a big or small project and accomplishing it has given me the confidence to go ahead with the next project and yes my tool box is much bigger than it used to be before I had the truck.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
n33k0

I like how simple it is to work on my truck, a few hand tools can fix any problem. Compared to my newer car, which needs a computer to scan trouble codes, has sensors in every nook and cranny, and its all squeezed into a cramped engine bay... modern comforts are a pain in the butt! Like AlreadyGone said, fixing one thing gives you the confidence to tackle the next project, and it makes you feel good when you get her back on the road. I have learned a lot from working on my truck. I went from only doing regular oil changes to tuning carburetors, adjusting valve rockers, learning how to adjust engine timing, fixing a leaking transmission, rebuilding the suspension. This truck has also taught me patience, especially when dealing with electrical gremlins
n33k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
slowcpe

Quote:
Very, very true. I'd like to blame the above statement and this board for the severe derailment of my original plan to do a basic drop and V8 motor in my truck

In all seriousness, I've tooled around with cars/trucks for over 20 years but never got into a full-blown restoration until I bought my truck. Now I'm learning new stuff/skills everyday and love it. I'm also learning patience.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #11
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I've learned a lot since I first bought the truck when I was 15... 18 years ago... now I'm getting to "learn" that I learned a lot of stuff wrong!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Today I learned the front bumper brackets I bought weren't rusted at all, they were just poorly painted. That and how easily paint is removed where primer isn't used. Really nice pieces.

But seriously, yes, nearly every time I do something I learn something. This is probably one reason the experienced folk restore so many vehicles. Comes easy and they've learned by their mistakes.

On a side note, I don't have the luxury of doing it wrong the first time, because this project has to be right. That's one reason I ask so many ((*)%*&% questions, and often don't take the first answer. From my experience, there are only a handful of real experts who are VERY GOOD sources for info........but it's a slow process.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-21-2015 at 05:37 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:22 PM   #13
raggedjim

I learned some new cuss words, and I'm an old sailor!

Actually, I do learn a lot, and the more you do, the more you will learn. I think it's easier now that the www is here, I used to work on cars and trucks back in the late 70's and early 80's, that's when previous owners did most of the crap work you see now. My excuse is we didn't have the same resources...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
Redline novdog

I've learned I've got a cool truck and don't throw any parts away,somebody might need them! I haven't learned the trials and tribulations of cut and weld in new panels. I did it in the old novdog,but am hesitant to put another vehicle under the saw welder.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #15
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
I've learned I've got a cool truck and don't throw any parts away,somebody might need them! I haven't learned the trials and tribulations of cut and weld in new panels. I did it in the old novdog,but am hesitant to put another vehicle under the saw welder.
Granted I've owned this 26 years, but I've thrown away or lost:

1. Threw out my in-bed tire carrier long ago. Now I'm trying to locate another with all the parts.

2. Lost the heat stove during the engine rebuild (1993). The builder didn't return it and I didn't push it.

3. Lost the original valve covers for the 71 402, again during the rebuild. The covers I have came with the 396 heads slapped on. Though they're original, they are different (twist on Vs push on oil cap). Scored the correct covers a few weeks ago for a reasonable price.

4. Over two decades ago I threw out the Chevy emblem for the grille insert (ha!). I thought it was part of the crappy grille.

5. And just today I realized I threw out my hub caps. They were in sad shape, the type that tend to tear along the seams, and and wouldn't be worth more than say $60-80 for all, but now wish I hand't.

So over all, not much. Sure happy I boxed up the AM radio. Pulled it out the other day and it looks brand new. Going to "downgrade" from the cassette player now located at dump, for the AM.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-21-2015 at 08:55 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #16
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I've learned a lot since I first bought the truck when I was 15... 18 years ago... now I'm getting to "learn" that I learned a lot of stuff wrong!
Hey I'm 33 too and also have a blue '67 C10!
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #17
hugger6933

As a lot of you know I build late model trucks for a living and have done so since 1987. Having many many many trucks car and SUV's and now this herd of trucks [2 68's 2 70's and a 71]. I try to learn something new everyday. Being a converted bodyman [from a auto and diesel tech] I have trained the gambit of areas and now being a body tech I'd say learning something all the time is one of the most rewarding parts of what I get to do. If your not going forward your either stagnating or going backwards. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote