The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
69GMCCustomLWB

Newbie 1969 C1500 Custom LWB

I am glad I found this site. I bought a 69 GMC C1500 LWB 350 from the original owner's son locally. Has new tires and the original engine was rebuilt two years ago with less than 400 miles on it. It is a solid truck overall and I have been driving it a couple of weeks now. I am about to get it painted. He almost backed out on the sale since it was his dad's truck bought new. I have never been a big fan of LWB but getting used to it and with the truck being local and solid I am pretty glad I found it. I really got a deal in it!
Attached Images

69GMCCustomLWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Newbie 1969 C1500 Custom LWB

Welcome!!!!!

Nice truck, and it sounds like you got a great deal.

Might I suggest taking a really close look at the rocker panels, front fender cups, lower rear cab and the inner kick panel areas for rust, before you take it down and have it painted.

It looks solid from the one picture, but there's a lot of little areas to develop rust. You'll probably want to know about them before your new paint starts to bubble up if any rust is present!

Look forward to more pictures
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
69GMCCustomLWB

Thanks. I had a couple of friends check it out. It is a solid truck rockers and corners are all solid as is the floor. I can't afford a complete frame off. We are going to paint it and inside the bed. I plan to do some interior work as well.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
halfstep

DO NOT PAINT it! (my opinion fwiw)
It is only original once. Unless it is a great job (lots of prep and skilled paint work) the re-paint will de-value your truck.

From the photo, your paint looks pretty good. I say a real good buffing would make that truck look great and more like what is actually is...a well maintained 1 owner/second owner 45 yr old truck. No over-spray and tape lines either.

One "secret" to paint is taking off the old worn out layer - light polishing compound will take off that faded blue/white are reveal a whole "new" look.

Put the money you save into mechanicals or gas to drive it.
halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #5
69GMCCustomLWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfstep View Post
DO NOT PAINT it! (my opinion fwiw)
It is only original once. Unless it is a great job (lots of prep and skilled paint work) the re-paint will de-value your truck.

From the photo, your paint looks pretty good. I say a real good buffing would make that truck look great and more like what is actually is...a well maintained 1 owner/second owner 45 yr old truck. No over-spray and tape lines either.

One "secret" to paint is taking off the old worn out layer - light polishing compound will take off that faded blue/white are reveal a whole "new" look.

Put the money you save into mechanicals or gas to drive it.
Thanks. Paint is not original prior owner said it has had a paint job done once already. If it was the original paint I would not paint it at least for a while
Old 09-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
flashed

Welcome ,nice truck you have there ,how bout some more pics including engine and interior ?
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote