The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
skyphix

Speaker Choice Balance Question/Advice

Hey everyone,
I know this is largely subjective, but I wanted to run what I plan on ordering by some people that might have a better clue about speaker selection.

I don't care about having sound in my truck, but passengers do and I may have to bring customers with me on occasion, so I figure I should do something.

My plan is to build a small "audio wall" that fits snugly behind the bench in my 1980 C10 and comes about half way up the back. I have the dimensions all figured out and the setup I plan on using will physically fit, but I want to make sure I am not making any dumb decisions.

I want a fully hidden system - no radio/head unit in the dash, fully controlled by a bluetooth device (I'll have a tablet as my gauge cluster, and I want my passengers to be able to connect and play their music.)

Amp: JBL GTR-104 Bluetooth Amp
Speakers: Polk Audio 6.5" 2 way speakers
Sub: JBL or Sound Ordinance 8"

Plan is to bridge 2 channels for the sub and run each mid/high speaker independently on a channel.

I don't want big thumping bass or anything like that, just decent quality audio at a budget price. I'm going to seal the sub in a box, that goes INSIDE the "sound wall" so that it will be flush mounted effectively, and I'll put the controller for the amp on the side of the box nearest the side of the bench seat so I can adjust it but then use the EQ and volume control on either the tablet or a mobile device primarily.

My question is:

Will two 6.5's at 100w RMS and a single 8" sub at 240w RMS be decently balanced without having to go completely crazy with the EQ settings? Should I look at bumping up to a 10" sub instead?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:51 AM   #2
BIGglaSS

Re: Speaker Choice Balance Question/Advice

Sounds like a solid plan. An 8" sub will fit your needs just fine.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
skyphix

Re: Speaker Choice Balance Question/Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
Sounds like a solid plan. An 8" sub will fit your needs just fine.

Thanks! I've done some fairly intense car audio installs but never really did much with speaker selection - typically it was tying new head units into factory vehicles that had "upgraded" audio (i.e. a new in-dash screen to a Toyota that was originally equipped with JBL stuff, and has steering wheel controls... everything needed to stay functioning and wasn't replacing the factory amp/sub/speakers.) Glad to have a second set of more experienced eyes on it.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote