The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
72Cheyenne454

Can anyone provide feedback on 350 Chevy retro style hydraulic roller lifters

Curious if anyone has any recent experience with aftermarket retro style (link bar) hydraulic roller lifters for 350 Chevy.

I'm doing a stock rebuild on a 1970 350 and I'm just not up to messing around with flat tappets anymore. The risk associated with possible cam/lifter failure and the hassle of break in is pushing me to bite the bullet and spend the money to upgrade to a retro roller set up.

I'm not interested in converting to a later model vortec roller style block, so I'm curious if anyone has any firsthand experience with retro hyd roller lifters.

I've researched several forums and have spent countless hours trying to determine which brand to use. My machinist says he has had the best luck lately with Gaterman lifters. Others swear by Morel, or Comp, or Crower, or? Like anything you research, I have found negative experiences on-line for each, but if you have any firsthand experience, I'd appreciate your feedback.

From what I've read, it seems as though there are only a few manufactures actually producing hyd retro roller lifters and various companies buy them and call them their own?

I'm currently considering a Howards roller set up. Again this is a stock rebuild, so I'm not looking to spin the little thing past 5k, if ever, so I don't need a high rpm lifter... just need lifters that are quite and dependable.

Thanks!
72Cheyenne454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
61K10

Re: Can anyone provide feedback on 350 Chevy retro style hydraulic roller lifters

Howards has been around a long time. Don't know who makes their lifters. I have only run Eski hyd roller cam and lifters in a big block. See if you can find (google) some info on the net of their cam and lifters.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
Indychus

Re: Can anyone provide feedback on 350 Chevy retro style hydraulic roller lifters

I've had good results with Lunati roller lifters, but Howard's is good stuff too.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
61K10

Just did a little search, some good reviews some not so good. Some had roller lifter problems. also somebody said not the same owners.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
weq92f

I'm running Comp retro roller lifters in my BBC and have not been able to get them to be quiet. They are very noisy. Getting ready to pull them out and replace with Howards...nearly a 500 dollar mistake.

I'm not alone either according to my research!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
72Cheyenne454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
Howards has been around a long time. Don't know who makes their lifters. I have only run Eski hyd roller cam and lifters in a big block. See if you can find (google) some info on the net of their cam and lifters.
Thanks for the feedback on Eski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
I've had good results with Lunati roller lifters, but Howard's is good stuff too.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
Just did a little search, some good reviews some not so good. Some had roller lifter problems. also somebody said not the same owners.
Unfortunately, I've read that too. In fact, every hydraulic lifter has both positive and negative reviews. Seems like a roll of the dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
I'm running Comp retro roller lifters in my BBC and have not been able to get them to be quiet. They are very noisy. Getting ready to pull them out and replace with Howards...nearly a 500 dollar mistake.

I'm not alone either according to my research!

-klb
That sucks. I've read a TON of reviews where guys are having the same issue as you with the Comp rollers - noisy! As big as Comp is, you'd think their product would be top notch, but reviews on their roller lifters definitely indicates there's a pretty widespread issue with the hyd roller lifters they offer.

Thanks for providing your input. I think I'll go with the Howards set up and hope for the best.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
geezer#99

I read a post recently about noisy lifters (some other forum) and the likely problem encountered was not setting the preload correctly. You can’t just use the old standard of 3/4 or 1 turn like most use.
Comp cams had different settings depending on which lifters were used. Some where only 1/8 turn.
Make sure you follow the specs on whichever you choose.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
toolboxchev

Comps standard hyd flat flat tappets were noisy. Yea they took multiple times of adjustment to get them to quiet down, that and the correct oil.

I have heard just recently they have changed their supplier on lifters. Interesting as BBC lifters are very different from SBC lifters.

Ore maybe I am just wrongE! Ha!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
randy.powell

I've got a Howard roller cam and their roller lifters. Came as a set. Don't know the source of their lifters. I do know everything works perfectly. No noise - no issues. I would buy them again on the next build.
Randy
randy.powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
72Cheyenne454

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy.powell View Post
I've got a Howard roller cam and their roller lifters. Came as a set. Don't know the source of their lifters. I do know everything works perfectly. No noise - no issues. I would buy them again on the next build.
Randy
Good to hear you've had success with Howards components. Thanks for the feedback Randy.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I use Lunati stuff pretty much exclusively. However I installed a set of "roller-tip" rockers offered by Summit Racing (I say offered because I have no idear who makes them) when they first hit the market and they are noisy as all get out. Sounds like i'm running a solid flat tappet cam. I am using a hydraulic flat tappet cam now. Will swap to an all Lunati Roller valve train in the future.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #12
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
I read a post recently about noisy lifters (some other forum) and the likely problem encountered was not setting the preload correctly. You can’t just use the old standard of 3/4 or 1 turn like most use.
Comp cams had different settings depending on which lifters were used. Some where only 1/8 turn.
Make sure you follow the specs on whichever you choose.
Yes indeed, I just installed comp race lifters and it simply states ZERO to 3 thou preload, turn no more than 1/8th turn after zero lash is accomplished.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
weq92f

At 1/2 turn past zero lash with comp 854-16, my roller rockers were far too loose to be reliable or quiet. That is after a few hundred miles, the rockers could basically be turned sideways off the valve tip immediately after engine shutdown without loosening the retaining nut.

Better at 3/4.

Much better at 1 turn beyond zero lash.

No change in the noise throughout the changes in adjustment on the preload over time.

1/8 of a turn simply would not fly with this setup.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote