The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
THI

Intro and question on Doors

New to this section since I sold my 1970 Suburban.

I currently have three square bodies - 1978 Chevy C20 Camper Special, 1979 GMC C3500 Dual Wheel Camper Special (both have original 454's) and a 1981 Chevy K5 Blazer (we will call it a jig saw puzzle because it is in pieces right now).

The two pickups are both original Michigan trucks and in surprisingly good though they are both low mileage vehicles. However, Michigan still has its issues and I am in need of doors for the 1978 - there is just enough rust on the bottom and you cannot put a door skin on it.

I would like to know what type of experience others here have had with aftermarket doors, I am mostly interested in quality and willing to pay to get it. I know LMC is most likely not the place to look! How about some of the other suppliers? Thank you.
THI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Intro and question on Doors

I have a set of doors that were obtained from LMC, but not sure of the brand. Pretty much all the doors are/were made from the the same place and just distributed through different outlets. Mine seem to fit and work just fine.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 06-16-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 PM   #3
Airdirect

I bought a pair of new doors from a local vendor in Dallas. They were AMD (Auto Metal Direct). The quality is poor, had to reshape, drill, and bend to get them to fit. In the end the drivers door turned out good. I still have problems with the passenger door not fitting correctly. It also has lots of wind noise going down the road. I kept the original doors and plan to re-skin them when time permits. I would look for good rust free used doors in dry parts of the country like Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico.

Here is a link to my build:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=721374

Page 4 shows the door installation.
Airdirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
Big Chip

You can try a local body shop for body panels. You usually save some in shipping and you can find out which ones they would want to use. There's a body shop in Roscommon where I got mine. There was also a guy on Craigslist that had parts for sale. I want to say he was in Petoskey or Harbor Springs. If you have some patience there are original doors out there.
Big Chip is offline   Reply With Quote