The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #1
dave`12

Alternator question

I know this has been covered, and I've done searches, but I've found conflicting information, and different ways of doing it.

So I have to ask, as I'm afraid I will mess it up.

1967 c10. Factory setup - external regulator - factory ammeter (and I want to keep it working).

I want to go to the one wire setup. After looking over some threads, I have some questions.

What year and vehicle alternator should I buy? I've seen different answers. I want to reuse my original brackets. I don't want an alternator with a serpentine pulley or one mounted on the rear. And I saw something about fin direction.

Do I need to add a resistor? If so, where and which? Do I need to change any fuses (amperage).

Is there a thread with pics? I do much better with pics than diagrams. I found one, and was all set to go, but then Vette said something like it's not the best way.

I was hoping to find one in the FAQ, but did not see it.

I've also seen terms like 10SI, 12 SI, CS series, etc. I don't know what this means? Also seen info that 3 wire is better?

I just want a simple set up, does not have to be the latest and greatest.

I would be happy with a good link, not asking for the whole thing to be restated.

thanx

Last edited by dave`12; 05-03-2018 at 06:38 PM.
dave`12 is offline   Reply With Quote