The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
Laid_Out_50

Guys running air suspension

I built my truck with Slam Specialties RE6 bag. The problem I am seeing is at full extension the wheels butterfly in. The RE6 has a min height of 2.6" and a max height of 10". Should I think about swapping them out for the RE5 which have a max height of 8"
Laid_Out_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Guys running air suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid_Out_50 View Post
I built my truck with Slam Specialties RE6 bag. The problem I am seeing is at full extension the wheels butterfly in. The RE6 has a min height of 2.6" and a max height of 10". Should I think about swapping them out for the RE5 which have a max height of 8"

can I ask why are you lifting that much? ride height and best ride is about half stroke on the bag.

also, what pressures are you seeing? an re5 has less stroke, but also has a higher pressure (less volume) at a specific height. I like using re7 on the front of most trucks with bags because even more volume lowers the ride height pressure and gives a good ride

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Laid_Out_50

Yeah ride height is way lower I just go full height to get in driveways I was just wondering if this bowing was normal
Laid_Out_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:10 AM   #4
joedoh

what is your suspension? MII? camaro? s10? something else?

I mean, all of those (except the something else I guess) are unequal length upper and lower control arms so they will all have significant camber change (what you are calling butterfly in) throughout the height range. especially mustang II, the spindle height is very short on a MII and so adjustable suspension has a very narrow range of camber and toe that arent extreme. I have seen most MII have at least 8 degrees of camber laid out and even more than that at 5 inches of lift, the short spindle swings through the short upper arm arc while the lower arm arc stays relatively stable, so it goes extreme pretty quick. S10 have both camber and toe problems at full drop but are pretty stable all the way through full lift, camaro even more so.

so yes, its normal, as long as you dont drive with it "locked up" so what it all comes down to, is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 03-16-2017 at 01:19 AM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
dsraven

i'm with joedoh. the bag isn't what causes the camber change, it is the suspension style that does that as he explained about unequal lengths of contol arms and lengths of control arms in general. the bag just sets the ride height, by inflation or deflation, and the stiffness, by the size-volume of the bag. skinny bag = harsher ride compared to fatter bag at the same height because the skinny bag has to pump up to higher pressure to lift the same mass as a fat bag. the fat bag will take more air volume though. like if you tried to lift a pumpkin with a balloon compared to a waterbed mattress. they both lift to the same height but the waterbed mattress would take less pressure to lift the pumpkin compared to the smaller balloon. make sense?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
mr48chev

Have to agree with them. Normally you set the alignment up for your "ride height" for when you are rolling down the street with a set amount of air in the bags.

I would believe that the majority of the folks running bags will tell you that they have their set air pressure that they run for normal driving and highway driving to keep the alignment where it should be for best handling and tire life.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote