The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
msg

66 dash lights- Incandescent or LEDs?

I have started with my American Auto Wire kit and the instrument panel needs bulbs and I couldn't find what I did with the old bulbs from the original harness. When I searched I have seen that some tried out LED lights though as well. Has anyone had issues with LEDs? If anyone has had no issues with LED and can share what they used and where they buy them I would appreciate it.

In the meantime I did look up what part number the incandescents were and it looks like an 1895 for most of them. I did convert the ammeter to a voltmeter, but it shows a 53 for that.
Attached Images

Last edited by msg; 01-05-2021 at 07:15 PM.
msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:03 PM   #2
roll_the_dice

Re: 66 dash lights- Incandescent or LEDs?

I used LEDs and I like them a lot. The only drawback IMO is they are not dimmable...not that I need to dim them, but sometimes I want things to work even if I don't intend to use them to the fullest...

I bought them from www.superbrghtleds.com

I bought 6 green and 1 red for the headlight "bright".

On another note...do have in that book what bulb the dash clock uses? Not sure if it is the same as the gauge cluster or smaller. Thanks

Here is my dash at night...
Attached Images

Last edited by roll_the_dice; 01-05-2021 at 08:26 PM.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #3
ACK

Hated how dim the dash was when driving at night, so I replaced the old bulbs with "Serundo Auto BA9S LED Car Bulbs". Got them on Amazon, $10 for 10 bulbs, and I can't be happier with the results. The dash is the perfect brightness, would do it again without any hesitation.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:12 PM   #4
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I used LEDs and I like them a lot. The only drawback IMO is they are not dimmable...not that I need to dim them, but sometimes I want things to work even if I don't intend to use them to the fullest...

I bought them from www.superbrghtleds.com

I bought 6 green and 1 red for the headlight "bright".

On another note...do have in that book what bulb the dash clock uses? Not sure if it is the same as the gauge cluster or smaller. Thanks

Here is my dash at night...
Thanks RTD, I was wondering if the LEDs would be too bright so its good to know they wont dim. Also I did check and didnt see anything on the dash clock bulb, thats such a fancy accessory they didnt list it. Like the compass I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK View Post
Hated how dim the dash was when driving at night, so I replaced the old bulbs with "Serundo Auto BA9S LED Car Bulbs". Got them on Amazon, $10 for 10 bulbs, and I can't be happier with the results. The dash is the perfect brightness, would do it again without any hesitation.
Thanks ACK, good to know what options are working. I thought I had seen that turn signals had issues blinking or something with LEDs, you've had no issues?
Old 01-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #5
theastronaut

New incandescent bulbs in a clean housing with a clean lens are bright enough to clearly see the gauges, and they're dimmable. LED's, especially if not dimmable will be more intense than your headlights so your eyes adjust to the brightness of the gauges instead of down the road where you're trying to focus, which is terrible for seeing where you're going. No need to create a problem by using LED's when normal bulbs are more than adequate.

I imagine that most people saying the stock bulbs are too dim have old bulbs, dirty housings, faded lenses, and they're driving around in a brightly lit city which makes the gauges seem dimmer. If you're out in the middle of nowhere with no other lighting then you'll need dimmable gauges or they'll easily be more intense than your headlights.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
msg

That is what I was concerned about, being too bright. The cluster is all newly refinished and I was not sure if the 100 or so extra lumens from the ones I was comparing to the 1895 would be too bright. I assumed it would unless someone had found a warm white low lumen LED bulb.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
That is what I was concerned about, being too bright. The cluster is all newly refinished and I was not sure if the 100 or so extra lumens from the ones I was comparing to the 1895 would be too bright. I assumed it would unless someone had found a warm white low lumen LED bulb.
After you posted this yesterday, I googled BA9 Dimmable LEDs and a few from the website above did show up. They are a lot less lumens....so might be the best of both worlds. I may try them. I do like the fact they are dimmable. However, I don't think my current LEDs are too bright. I have not done a ton of night driving in the truck yet (only been back on the road for a month... 150 miles total). So I have not noticed them messing with my focus of the road ahead when I look down at the speedometer and then back to the road. If I were going to buy them now, I would get the dimmable LEDs...Here are 2 options:

25 lumens

5 Lumens

The 25 lumen may be close to the original 1.7watt #53 bulb.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:27 PM   #8
Nappers

I ordered these for my '64. After installing, I had turn signal problems. The wiring was shaky at best so I rewired the front blinkers and still had the same problem. I also had the one of the idiot lights stay on after starting. I put the LED's in only the dash lights, no blinkers, idiot lights. It worked in the high beam light. They are dimmable it appears. they look good and close to stock, just brighter and clearer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Serundo Auto BA9S Led Car Bulb BA9 1895 1891 53 57 Led Car Bulb, 2SMD 3030Chips 6000K White 47830 64111 3893 LED Car Bulb for Car Interior Dome Map License Plate Glove Box Light etc, Pack of 10pcs
Nappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:35 PM   #9
ACK

Quote:
Thanks RTD, I was wondering if the LEDs would be too bright so its good to know they wont dim. Also I did check and didnt see anything on the dash clock bulb, thats such a fancy accessory they didnt list it. Like the compass I guess.

Thanks ACK, good to know what options are working. I thought I had seen that turn signals had issues blinking or something with LEDs, you've had no issues?
FYI ... the dash has dummy lights, not gauges. Last year I completely rebuilt the cluster and finished it off with new incandescents, but it was still extremely dim. Also disassembled and cleaned the light switch, to cover all bases. To sum up, I didn't switch out all the incandescents, just the ones that light up the speedometer and its perimeter, probably 4 or 5 in total. The turn signals, brights, and other dummy lights have never been a problem. I don't find the LEDs to be too bright, which was a real fear from reading other posts; the dash is now way better, but still less bright than the other 3 cars in the family. Swapping out just a few incandescents with LEDs instead of all might be a good option.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #10
msg

Thanks guys, I like the LED in only a few spots approach. Ive already ordered the sylvania 1895 bulbs which say 25 lumens, and Ill try the LED Warm 3200k bulbs. Thanks for the link on that RTD, if I ever get this thing working again Ill post pics of led vs incandescent. Pics sometimes help, no promises my phone doesnt take great low light pics.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #11
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Thanks guys, I like the LED in only a few spots approach. Ive already ordered the sylvania 1895 bulbs which say 25 lumens, and Ill try the LED Warm 3200k bulbs. Thanks for the link on that RTD, if I ever get this thing working again Ill post pics of led vs incandescent. Pics sometimes help, no promises my phone doesnt take great low light pics.
Definitely let me know how you like the dimmable LEDs and if they are indeed dimmable along with the brightness of them. I am curious for sure.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:49 AM   #12
Brim

Quote:
Definitely let me know how you like the dimmable LEDs and if they are indeed dimmable along with the brightness of them. I am curious for sure.
Hey RTD,
Here is a shot of the dimmable lights you told me about. Got them in this afternoon and put them on a few hours ago. Seems like my fuel and oil press gauges seem not to be as bright as the others. I will check to see if I plugged the wire back in the right hole. I should have taken a pic of it outside in the night but you can see the difference.

Also I took out the white bulb of my temp gauge and changed it out to green. Next to move on to the tach and maybe the column shift light...

-Mark

Last edited by Brim; 01-17-2021 at 01:57 AM.
Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:56 AM   #13
Brim

Forgot to add the pic...
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #14
msg

Looks nice Brim, thanks for the pic. Im still wiring up my truck, I put the incandescents in for now and as soon as I can get the wiring done Ill post pics of befores and afters switching the LEDs out, and try different dimmed levels I guess.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:38 AM   #15
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brim View Post
Forgot to add the pic...
Thanks Brim looks good! I am sure you will figure out the oil pressure and gas gauge light. Are they actually dimmable on the cluster?
Old 01-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #16
dream66

I populated my 66 Chevelle panel with "dimmable" LED bulbs from SuperBright Lights.com.

They will not dim by use of the OEM light switch dimmer but would if I patched in a an LED dimmer. Fortunately, the bulbs I selected are low enough lumens that they are not distracting for night driving. They look like the 5 lumen bulbs that RTD linked above.

I decided to use incandescents on the 64 C10
dream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #17
Brim

Quote:
Thanks Brim looks good! I am sure you will figure out the oil pressure and gas gauge light. Are they actually dimmable on the cluster?
Yes sir they are dimmable.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:14 PM   #18
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brim View Post
Yes sir they are dimmable.
Awesome...thanks, I think I will order some of the dimmable ones then...just to try them.