The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
culp7
HickTown

New high school project! Need help!

I'm currently buying a 1989 Chevy S-10 Blazer that came stock w/ a
2.8/manual trans. It is a 4x4 and i am wanting to do a v8 swap w/ a old 305 i have laying around.

So my question is: What all is needed to swap in the 305 and then bolt it to the stock manual tranny?
Also, is the tranny/transfer strong enough to handle the power of the v8?

Thanks!!
1976 Dodge Aspen W/ 225
2000 Toyota Tundra w/4.7
1987 Dodge Ram D-100 w/360
255/70-15
Old 04-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
BarryB

Re: New high school project! Need help!

It's probably strong enough to handle the power of a 305 V8. J/k your best bet would be to find a tranny and tranfer case from a 5 spd that had a 4.3 V6. Then it would be almost a direct bolt up. as long as the 305, and 4.3 have the same crank flywheel bolt pattern.
This is what I'm collecting parts for my swap. mine 2wd though. I have a 5spd from a 4.3 s10 along with the flywood and everything else attached.

If your doing the swap for more power, look into the 3.4 v6 swap. then all your tranny stuff will bolt up. theres alot info about that over on the s10forum.com site. But be prepared there not as nice as the guys on this board.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
culp7
HickTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
It's probably strong enough to handle the power of a 305 V8. J/k your best bet would be to find a tranny and tranfer case from a 5 spd that had a 4.3 V6. Then it would be almost a direct bolt up. as long as the 305, and 4.3 have the same crank flywheel bolt pattern.
This is what I'm collecting parts for my swap. mine 2wd though. I have a 5spd from a 4.3 s10 along with the flywood and everything else attached.

If your doing the swap for more power, look into the 3.4 v6 swap. then all your tranny stuff will bolt up. theres alot info about that over on the s10forum.com site. But be prepared there not as nice as the guys on this board.
J/k as in just kidding? lol

and the stock tranny and t-case is probally all i can do right now due to my high school budget, i might just rebuild the stock 2.8 thats sitting in the back of it locked up

and if i did decide to do that 305 swap, besides the 4.3 tranny and t-case would i need anything else? (such as crossmember, driveshaft, ect.)

and would the 4.3 t-case mount up in the stock location of the stock t-case?

Srry ya'll i'm still a beginner at all this lol
1976 Dodge Aspen W/ 225
2000 Toyota Tundra w/4.7
1987 Dodge Ram D-100 w/360
255/70-15

Last edited by culp7; 04-29-2010 at 06:05 PM.
culp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by culp7 View Post
J/k as in just kidding? lol

and the stock tranny and t-case is probally all i can do right now due to my high school budget, i might just rebuild the stock 2.8 thats sitting in the back of it locked up

and if i did decide to do that 305 swap, besides the 4.3 tranny and t-case would i need anything else? (such as crossmember, driveshaft, ect.)

and would the 4.3 t-case mount up in the stock location of the stock t-case?

Srry ya'll i'm still a beginner at all this lol
Yes on the J/K thing. far as I can tell you not moving the trans,or t case. so your crossmembers driveshafts should be the same. I know the 2wd drive is the same. basic bolt in.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

Two rules in life.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Damien

I'm guessing you have a T-5. If so, you can swap the bell housing and clutch parts for V8 parts. You will have to make the hydrolic clutch work with the older bell housing or convert to a mechanical throw out bearing. I think the 305 manifolds are what guys used before there were swap parts.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I'm guessing you have a T-5. If so, you can swap the bell housing and clutch parts for V8 parts. You will have to make the hydrolic clutch work with the older bell housing or convert to a mechanical throw out bearing. I think the 305 manifolds are what guys used before there were swap parts.
I was going to suggest that also, but was thinking it would probably be easier for him to find the 4.3 stuff. Now if can find a wrecked 4.3 truck/blazer he can, granting he has the t-5 .can swap the bellhousings, and workings from from it, then he shouldn't have to worry about the hydralic slave cylinder because it will already be there. the real plus would be to doing that way, is it wouldn't have to be a 4wd.

Two rules in life.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
chevy2racr
So Many Ideas, So Little Money

v8s10.com helped me with a lot of questions on my swap and i did a alot of reasoning to figure it out. 3rd gen camaro manifolds are the ones people use instead of the swap headers. the swap motor mounts would bolt to your stock 2.8 location. biggest thing with a v-8 in there is keeping it cool... my 99 2wd even with a brand new aluminum radiator gave me some fits for a while...
or look for a usable 2.8 to swap in for now. craigslist or car-part.com is a junkyard search, not all yards are on it, but a lot...
09 Malibu

Marshalltown, Iowa
chevy2racr is offline   Reply With Quote