The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #651
Dustmaker65

Re: My Facetruck thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That is a fantastic way to spend your golden (or is it greasy) years. You did that dealership building great justice. I was trying to get an old shop building for years. Finally got the owner at the right time. We were moving on with it at a price I was very happy about till I discovered the business sold gas in the past but not since the early '70s. That killed it for me. Old tanks left to rot underground was a deal breaker for me.
The dealership had tanks under ground too. I have a buddy that owns a company that installs/removes fuel tanks. So I was set with this one. The tanks were decommissioned in early 70's.

I have been trying to buy this building for 3 years! It has been in the same family from day one. He finally decided to sell and we got the ball rolling.

I have several homes that I rent. They are nothing compared to this shop! Didn't know what I bit into when I first got it. But remodeling a 16,000 sq ft building is very time consuming!
Old 02-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #652
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustmaker65 View Post
The dealership had tanks under ground too. I have a buddy that owns a company that installs/removes fuel tanks. So I was set with this one. The tanks were decommissioned in early 70's.

I have been trying to buy this building for 3 years! It has been in the same family from day one. He finally decided to sell and we got the ball rolling.

I have several homes that I rent. They are nothing compared to this shop! Didn't know what I bit into when I first got it. But remodeling a 16,000 sq ft building is very time consuming!
This state's dept of environment is tough on soil contamination/clean-up. Can get crazy expensive. We have abandoned service stations just sitting. It takes a deep pockets developer or national retail corporation that can absorb the added expense, unfortunately. I gave up on looking at old service stations, which had always been a dream. Just add a building behind for the real shop with the station being a men's collectibles shop/classic truck dealership. My whole life has been a dream, other than times I had to wake up.

I have contracted work on large simple structures like shop buildings. I remember one that was 60' deep and 180' wide. All I did was siding in the gables and soffit/fascia front & back. I did alright at my square ft and lineal ft price (upcharge for just gable siding way up there). But talking to the guy building it, he had just about every contractor (All from residential) come back to him wanting more money (once in progress) or just commenting on underestimating what it would take to get it done. I forget how high the block was, about 2 stories IIRC. 20'?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #653
flashed

Guys ,dont disown me , I crossed over to the darkside yesterday , I bought a 66 Ford shortbed 4x4 truck ,drug it out of a field . The truck appears to be somewhat rare from what Im seein g on the Ford forum. I also bought a Kawasaki 4 wheeler with it .Today Im buying another Truck Hauler Trailer and a 72 Chevy truck .
I dont know how to post pics but if anyone wants to see pics I can text them to you .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #654
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Guys ,dont disown me , I crossed over to the darkside yesterday , I bought a 66 Ford shortbed 4x4 truck ,drug it out of a field . The truck appears to be somewhat rare from what Im seein g on the Ford forum. I also bought a Kawasaki 4 wheeler with it .Today Im buying another Truck Hauler Trailer and a 72 Chevy truck .
I dont know how to post pics but if anyone wants to see pics I can text them to you .
Flashed you have permanently tainted this thread. You will be punished.

Cool truck though.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #655
davischevy

Quote:
We don't dig tanks up. We bury them for future generations to dig up.
Attached Images

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #656
special-K
Special Order

I remember you showing that tank job back whenever.

I just finished putting up a building around a tank, a water tank for fire suppression system at a golf course. The club house burned, torn down, Morton bldg in it's place. They were pulling water from a big pond, but the county wanted him to do a tank for the new system. Not sure why he didn't bury it, but he was stuck on above ground. It's a monolithic slab against the cart house (Morton Bldg). Every stick of wood fire code. Built the wall against the cart house and one end, set tank, closed it in, insulate, drywall, and paint. I hope they never need to replace it
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #657
davischevy

Was the wood fire rated?

That's a coincidence, because last night I was thinking about a house we built in 1993.

WE framed it and the owner had a company come in and spray everything with fire retardant.

The demonstration the retardant people put on was pretty impressive.

The owner is long gone, and I'm sure nobody remembers the retardant.

Speaking of remembering, I didn't remember posting those pictures before.

The last one is actually a sewer tank in a national park.

We buried a bunch of petro tanks last year. They will last long after we are gone. It will be very unlikely any leaking will occur. It's not just stick a tank in the ground now days.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #658
Bomp

Decided to make a change.
Not going to die being remembered as a hoarder.
Loft in the shop packed with all sorts or treasures which are being sorted, categorized or sold.
Sheet rocked, added outlets, 7 4' lights (gotta see) new carpet, big work table, industrial sewing machine w/walking foot, built my own 4' pocket door.
Great work space now. Feels good, looks good and a whole lot more useful.
Attached Images

Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #659
davischevy

Amazing transformation Bomp.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #660
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Was the wood fire rated?

That's a coincidence, because last night I was thinking about a house we built in 1993.

WE framed it and the owner had a company come in and spray everything with fire retardant...
Yes,there was to be nothing but fire treated lumber used. Where we cut into the cart house roof for the reverse gable the plywood was required there, too. We ran it 18" up under the metal roof. The treatment makes the wood brittle. You can see it crystalized on the surface. I think whatever the solution is they use soaks in and displaces the air in the cells of the wood to give no oxygen to the fire. This is just what I surmise. It may be a salt solution. I don't know.

The insulation was to be high density, less air I guess, and then 5/8" fire code drywall. Everyone was saying how ridiculous it was to have to make a building fire resistant for a steel tank full of water. I figure it's more to protect the system from the fire getting to it and causing the system to fail. Nothing to be stored in there but a small compressor that keeps it pressurized. They say the pressure in the tank is enough to empty it w/o the compressor kicking on. It's just a little shop compressor. Will hardly ever run. Probably just when they test it, after the initial pressurizing.

My buddy does everything for the owner, related to building maintenance and improvements, personal and the golf course. He is self-taught and does things his own way...often quite odd and hard to deal with knowing what I know, by learning from the old timers and 45 years experience. He doesn't want my input at first. I keep my mouth shut unless it is just too serious to overlook. After a couple of times me saving the day by not letting him do it his way he started wanting my input. Odd experience for sure. His helper is a mutual friend who is retired from a career in office equipment repair. The buddy contractor hadn't called on me for a couple few years after I had to speak out about some things. But just as I was kind of thinking, this other guy felt the same, that I was brought on because our buddy wasn't confident he could handle it. Such a simple structure, but this guy mostly does pretty it up home improvement. If you think I've gone on about it, I haven't even started. I could write a book on just this job. A true case of "It's not what you know, it's who you know".

I know I have seen pictures just like those from you. Maybe you sent them in an e-mail? I think you hit rock on one job. If I'm wrong, I am worse than forgetful now. I am remembering things that didn't happen, Lenny.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 02-11-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:23 PM   #661
davischevy

Dear Lenny........................

Do you remember when I had a sig that said something about "I was going to say something here, but forgot what it was.

No? I didn't think so.

I like your stories. Keep 'em coming. I can relate to them.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #662
special-K
Special Order

I always like your signatures. I remember that one and I can remember all of them once you say them again. Not joking, it's the same as driving somewhere you went a long time ago and as you see things you remember them from before (am I being too defensive?). Others might not *recognize things. I'm serious about seeing at least one of those tank trenches. What am I fretting over, it's probably you not remembering showing me

Tim

Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 PM   #663
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I know the kind of guy you're talking about special. I was about 20 ad went to work for a framer once. On the second day he pulled the book out of his back pocket and started cutting rafters. I asked how much lower that dormer was than the rest and he told me it was the same height. I told him he was cutting them too short and at the wrong angle. I even told him we could take the two he already cut and check. This was my second day working for him. He told me they were right and he cut the ones for the roof the same way the day before. I stepped back said Ok you're the boss. The section he was cutting was about 10 ft narrower than the other and the rafters he cut by the book came out 18 in short. He was madder at me than himself. I didn't work for him long. I don't have any idea if he made it in the framing business, he was loading 3 skill saws, an air compressor, a table saw and several nail guns in a Mercury Bobcat every day. I'm pretty sure I'm glad he never had the chance to teach me framing.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:24 PM   #664
davischevy

There use to be a father son carpenter team in town.

The old guy was about the same age as my dad.

In the early nineties I hired them to build a spec house for me.

I went by to check on them one day and they were ready for rafters.

Old Raymond asked his son, "Well Don I wonder how long them damn things are" and reached for his framing square to calculate.

I whipped out my Construction Master calculator and in about ten seconds told him the answer.

He never acknowledged me and in about two minutes had the same answer.

I have never been one to micro-manage, so I said "you guys have a good day, see you tomorrow."

Old 02-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #665
Dustmaker65

Quote:
We don't dig tanks up. We bury them for future generations to dig up.
Those are some BIG tanks! Tanks I had were 500 gallon babies...lol

Quote:
I remember you showing that tank job back whenever.

I just finished putting up a building around a tank, a water tank for fire suppression system at a golf course. The club house burned, torn down, Morton bldg in it's place. They were pulling water from a big pond, but the county wanted him to do a tank for the new system. Not sure why he didn't bury it, but he was stuck on above ground. It's a monolithic slab against the cart house (Morton Bldg). Every stick of wood fire code. Built the wall against the cart house and one end, set tank, closed it in, insulate, drywall, and paint. I hope they never need to replace it
Now that is one way to keep a tank? Speaking of Morton Buildings.... I live 10 miles from their main office/factory.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #666
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Quote:
Flashed you have permanently tainted this thread. You will be punished.

Cool truck though.

Testing 1-2-3
This is only a test
Too see if How Bad
Flashed’s Ford, will taint a thread

All other pictures will go in his thread
Just Incase It’s BAD
Attached Images

Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #667
Dustmaker65

Contractor stories.... Had a bunch of cement work that I needed done. Hire a local guy that has been in business for over 20 years. Need a pad for a shed (16x24) and a front porch (8x26). On the front porch there was no door way yet, so I explained to him to make sure it ends up below the inside floor level. And on the shed pad I was putting vinyl privacy fence around the yard. And I needed the pad to have the fence post installed in the edging of the pad....he assures me that there will be no problems, he understands my concerns.

The porch ends up 3/4" above my floor! And the shed pad is fine except every post was staggered a couple of inches! Great guy! Terrible at his job!

So anyone in central IL that needs cement work done, I know who NOT to call ��
Old 02-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #668
davischevy

special-K, I noticed the wall is sheathed next to the existing building.

How did you guys pull that off?

Old 02-11-2018, 11:57 PM   #669
davischevy

Quote:
Contractor stories.... Had a bunch of cement work that I needed done. Hire a local guy that has been in business for over 20 years. Need a pad for a shed (16x24) and a front porch (8x26). On the front porch there was no door way yet, so I explained to him to make sure it ends up below the inside floor level. And on the shed pad I was putting vinyl privacy fence around the yard. And I needed the pad to have the fence post installed in the edging of the pad....he assures me that there will be no problems, he understands my concerns.

The porch ends up 3/4" above my floor! And the shed pad is fine except every post was staggered a couple of inches! Great guy! Terrible at his job!

So anyone in central IL that needs cement work done, I know who NOT to call ��
Thanks, but I have plenty of guys here "NOT TO CALL".

Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 AM   #670
Bomp

Years back I had a 16x24 pad poured.
Helper smarta$$ kid got punched in the face by new helper kid. Boss guy threw a hammer at one of them and finished the job himself.
Second pour, my current shop, helper kid kept asking when "we" meaning get my paycheck, would be done. Boss ignored him but #1 helper guy said if he asked one more time someone wouldn't be able to cash their check.
Didn't realize concrete people are so violent.
Have poured all my own concrete since myself.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #671
davischevy

WE have a concrete guy like that (throws fits).

He's the grandson of ole Raymond I mentioned earlier.

He will just blow up, and go into a mad rage if any little thing goes wrong.

He doesn't manage his money, and it's everybody else's fault.

I ran him out of the office more than once.

My son in law finally blackballed him.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #672
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
special-K, I noticed the wall is sheathed next to the existing building.

How did you guys pull that off?
That was the first idea of mine he liked. Bear in mind, this guy decided to get into this around 1990. He used to work on old cars, how I met him, and I did his carpentry work...some pretty fine finish work. His brother owns Vintage Lumber which he started in the '70s, one of the first of it's kind. So, My buddy's tastes are along the rustic, salvage...let's say creative side.

Ok, so we get the plates down and nailer blocks along the wall between the ribs in the metal one day. We're talking about the walls now, 12' 9" Code required 3' off floor/18" to ceiling/8' tank. He decided we'd do 8' sections. He's real anal and wanted the Tyvek on this wall, too. I'm wondering how all this will work and knew he hadn't even come to visualizing this yet. So I said why don't we roll the Tyvek across, tack that up, nail (we screwed it) the plywood up, then lay the wall up into it? The inspector will never know and we don't need to be concerned with rack strength because it's up against a solid structure. He liked that idea. It worked out well, especially since the anchor bolt location required the wall be held tight to the existing. The bolts barely caught the plate. I wasn't around for that.

He was hesitant to cut the overhang back and had us just cut a spot out for each end wall. So his plan was to "slip" the wall up under the fascia (24" O.H.) and slide it on in. Envisioning that is what got my mind to thinking of a better way. How can we do this without the sheathing? Went smooth as butter.

This whole thing was out of whack from the beginning... 13' x 37'. That other foot wouldn't have cost another dime I bet. And he talked to me about starting in June after I finished a sundeck job. Turns out the owner, big shot lawyer who plays GC, wanted to barge ahead w/o a permit. Huh? I mean this is for the fire suppression in the big building next store, obviously the system is part of that. Did he think the inspector would think the building was already there? I helped a friend build his daughter's house a couple years ago and this crazy rich head up their axx county put him through a 10 1/2 month process. I knew this would take a while anyway. And we started framing the week before Thanksgiving.

He called on a Thursday to tell me they had the permit, ready to start Monday, lumber could be delivered Friday but he couldn't be there, the next day would be later in the week. So I told him I would go receive it (not like I didn't already have a plan for next week). He says they told him 8am. On my way down to be there at 7:30 the driver calls me to tell me it's on the ground. We wanted it placed at the back corner of the cart house. It was in the upper corner of the parking lot hundreds of feet away. Scratched my head, turned tail for home, back with trailer, humped it on around to stack in a convenient location for a productive first day. Well, as productive as could be expected. I could tell a story with about every step of this. Example: Had us put a plate down over the bolts, which meant two base plates. I guess that wasn't a bad idea for getting that set straight and secure, then deal with the wall. But he had the other guy lay it out!
Wut is them marks fer? Ain't we gotta put dem marks on wut plate we bilds da wall wit anywho? This guy is not the projecting, delegating, managing type.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 02-12-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:42 AM   #673
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Now that is one way to keep a tank? Speaking of Morton Buildings.... I live 10 miles from their main office/factory.
I didn't realize those guys drove so far. They were usually there before me! I figured I could go by the name since they are the national Mack Daddy pole building co. Hung out in a Morton on Saturday... making pork butt sausage and tellin' lies!
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 02-12-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:18 AM   #674
Dustmaker65

Quote:
I didn't realize those guys drove so far. They were usually there before me! I figured I could go by the name since they are the national Mack Daddy pole building co. Hung out in a Morton on Saturday... making pork butt sausage and tellin' lies!
Looks like a good time! I ran conduit for 16 hours on Saturday and pulled wire for 16 hours on Sunday! Good thing they were my days off... And I still am not done!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #675
special-K
Special Order

Conduit takes time for sure. I bet it's a nice clean job you did, too.

Tim