The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2018, 05:10 AM   #1
RidersNation

Capacity of dropped spindles

I have a 68 GMC Burb, that has a 73 Malibu SS-454, 4-Speed Wagon Motor, I was about to trade it for an LS but when I found out via Research it’s a keeper, (one of 60), Has been gone through and is now a 468, My question is since it’s heavier what spindles would be strongest? Was told not to go 2-1/2 or 3”, due to weight, it’s about to go through full redo, as soon as we move to new place. I’ve seen many BBC A and F Body’s with dropped spindles, but they aren’t trucks.. I thank you all for any answers or input,

It will sit on 20s, 2600 bags and HD A arms, maybe go with Lay arms,it will be just close to layin’ out,

Roy
PS it’s already sittin on a Pro Hopper 2 pump 4 dump system and I have got everything to convert to bags, I carry My Hayabusa in the back so I can only bring the floor in rear up 2”.
Posted via Mobile Device
RidersNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Capacity of dropped spindles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidersNation View Post
I have a 68 GMC Burb, that has a 73 Malibu SS-454, 4-Speed Wagon Motor, I was about to trade it for an LS but when I found out via Research it’s a keeper, (one of 60), Has been gone through and is now a 468, My question is since it’s heavier what spindles would be strongest? Was told not to go 2-1/2 or 3”, due to weight, it’s about to go through full redo, as soon as we move to new place. I’ve seen many BBC A and F Body’s with dropped spindles, but they aren’t trucks.. I thank you all for any answers or input,

It will sit on 20s, 2600 bags and HD A arms, maybe go with Lay arms,it will be just close to layin’ out,

Roy
PS it’s already sittin on a Pro Hopper 2 pump 4 dump system and I have got everything to convert to bags, I carry My Hayabusa in the back so I can only bring the floor in rear up 2”.
Posted via Mobile Device

I had to look up Hayabusa..... I had never heard that name before.

I don't know about the 3" but there are a lot of big block trucks running around with 2 1/2 dropped spindles.

If you don't get any replies I will try moving this to the suspension forum.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidersNation View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not sure who told you this, but in my opinion this is not correct.
Any 2", 2.5" or 3" drop spindle will be fine.
I prefer ECE (Early Classic Enterprises), Belltech, McGaughy's or Western Chassis.
Is your truck still drum brake or has someone converted it already?
Buy 63-70 conversion spindles for the easiest install.
If its been converted to disc already,... you will need to know what year stock spindles are on your truck now.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
RidersNation

It’s drum but I will move to Disc CPP kit, The question is because the stress point on the 3” is lateral if it’s cambered but I believe it’s gonna be fine, I know certain brands are thicker. I will probably go with 2-1/2” but I wanted to keep it as close to NOT bottoming out , but being able to get it down, Lock Doc here is a pic of one of my bikes I do Custom airbrushing so I’m gonna do truck like bike.
Posted via Mobile Device
RidersNation is offline   Reply With Quote