The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Unusual habits, traits

I'm tearing a truck down to frame for the first time. Nearly done, just the suspension, block and transmission to go.
Anyway, I recently noticed that throughout this process, without fail & no matter what it is, I always remove the RH truck side first
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
midniteblues

Re: Unusual habits, traits

Well not really truck related.
I was called out on this last week by a co- worker.

Unless it's a beer or the not so often soda drink, I have a habit of shaking it up before taking a chug, my co-worker watched me from across the shop last week shake up a bottle of water before I opened it.

A bit later he came over and asked me what was in my water bottle. I quickly looked at it thinking a bug or something was in it, nothing in it? I looked back at him with a stink eye and said nothing but pure cold deer Park why don't you recognize water anymore? (He is one of them nothing but mt.dew guys) he calmly said, I never saw anyone shake up a water bottle YOU must be a weirdo.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

What ever I am doing I almost always get the hard part done first.. ,my thinking is it makes it easier to finish what ever by doing it this way.. once in awhile I am not able to do it this way .. I don't like it but that's the way the cookie crumbles some times.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
truckster

Left boot or left shoe goes on first. I've done it that was since I was in basic training. I'm not even sure it was something I did there, but I've been doing it since I can remember.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
What ever I am doing I almost always get the hard part done first.. ,my thinking is it makes it easier to finish what ever by doing it this way.. once in awhile I am not able to do it this way .. I don't like it but that's the way the cookie crumbles some times.
I'm a save the best for last guy, too. Face the bad stuff and it's all a breeze after that.

Kind of the same thing. When I was a kid and my mom made chocolate cake (usually yellow cake) I'd save my piece till the next day (and risk a sibling horking it). The icing was more like fudge and the cake would separate real easily. So I'd eat all the cake and save the icing for last. The trick was to get all the cake with the icing all still standing in place. And that's where the weirdness began!

I do a lot of things backward from most others. When I carry my ladders and scaffolding on my ladder racks I put the longer stuff on the driver side. If I'm only carrying one piece or not enough to use both side I haul it on that side. Bugs me to not move the shorter ladders over once I unload the long stuff. Trust me, I've tried and I end up pulling over to move it over.

I came to notice pretty much everybody else does the opposite. I have my reasons/logic and wonder what there's is or if they don't even think about it yet always do it that way. My reasoning is I have the longest stuff directly over head and in my line of sight, not over there somewhere. When hanging a left I don't have to worry about snagging a sign, tree/limb/light post/anything. My long stuff is always over the road. Also, the ladders are best on the passenger side (curb side) and they get unloaded to the side when the scaffold gets slid straight back. The ladder is not only not unloaded out into the street, but it's on the side closest to the house you are carrying it to. Sliding scaffold off the back really makes no difference. I really wonder why others do the opposite and I'm the odd one. This has been observed for decades. I know I wasn't born to follow
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-17-2017 at 06:47 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Whenever I drink milk I chew it before I swallow. Don't ask me why. I don't know.

I also drink hot sauce out of the bottle. The same with steak sauce and Worcestershire. I just guzzle it.

I know...I'm weird.

My favorite. But it's HOT!

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
cochino12
It followed me home?

I count my steps everywhere I go
avoid turning left while driving if at all possible
four taps before opening a soda or beer can

I'm weird, drives my wife nuts. I could go on for hours hahaha

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
el_fantasma

Take the dogs, on leash, into our city lot back yard to pee before bed. This started when I lived in an apartment and there was no yard. I keep it up because the dogs know it isn't play time and take care of business.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
Indian113

When ever I work on anything that needs to be taken apart I put the pieces in order as I take it apart. I have done this since I was a kid because my Dad taught me to work on things this way. It helps me because sometimes I can't put them back together that same day. I also take pictures of objects BEFORE disassembly so I can compare when done.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
Bomp

ALWAYS mow the yard in a clock wise direction. If back & forth, then left to right.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

[QUOTE=FleetsidePaul;8041792]Whenever I drink milk I chew it before I swallow. Don't ask me why. I don't know.

I also drink hot sauce out of the bottle. The same with steak sauce and Worcestershire. I just guzzle it.

I know...I'm weird.

My favorite. But it's HOT!

I know that Milk is a good drink after eating hot peppers,,,(and in your case drinking )BUT Man,,, your guts must be made of steel,,
Do you also drink hot coffee along with the hot struff.. LOL
Old 09-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #12
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I can relate to some of what's been mentioned so far.... just never thought of it as weird or unusual! Left boot is first to put on & first to remove... same with left contact lens. Always do the hardest parts of the job first and that carries over to food.... eat the stuff I don't much care for first, then enjoy the rest of the meal. Arrange parts in order when taking stuff apart, only seems like common sense to me. I'm sure there's more but I never think about 'em because, well, whatever I do just seems normal & natural to me!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #13
davischevy

I guess you guys realize the longer this thread gets the more "normal" you are becoming.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

I get on a GM truck site everyday while drinking my coffee in the morning, read posts, and type responses. Sometimes I even start my own threads. Weird I know. Please do not judge.

I only chew chocolate milk.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #15
davischevy

Weird habit? I want a lot of the trucks I see, and buy way more than I need.

Hoarder maybe?

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:43 AM   #16
'63GENIII

Coffee cups...If I buy coffee the seam in the cup has to be facing towards the back and away from me. Always. Styrofoam cups (while being bad for the environment) drive me crazy BC they don't have a seam.

Oscillating fans.. If they are running in the house (and my Wife makes sure they always are in every room) I always set them to fixed in every room no matter if Im in the room or not. My son does the same thing. Not sure why. This seems to start a lot of fights with the Wife.... I think she's the one with the problem on this one.

Clear hallways.. The Wife likes to leave things like clothes, shoes and household items for donation in the hallways, in front of doors and other places where one would generally walk. There's been more than one heated discussion when she finally goes to drop off at a donation place and can't find her stuff.... It will keep on happening. I can't help it.

Just found one today. Work boots. When I come home after work, I sit down at the same chair in the kitchen next to the garage door and take my boots off. Boots go against the wall and all four lace ends get gathered up and wrapped around the left boot barrel and then in between both boots so as to not touch the floor. I sometimes notice later in the evening that they are not wrapped so I wrap them. Just learned tonight that the Wife will unwrap them sometimes to mess with me. Guess its been going on for years. I do this at work as well but never find them unwrapped.... Got a laugh out of this one. She's funnier than I thought.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 AM   #17
In The Ten Ring

I am constantly checking my gig line. A "gig line" is the line of your button up shirt, pants, and belt. I always want those three things lined up exactly. Anyone that's been in the military will know what I'm talking about. (If no button up shirt, then I'll just line up pants and belt). Belt must go counterclockwise around your waist. When I see guys wearing the belt the other way I cannot help but notice.

I cannot leave the house without certain things. One of those is a hanky....I'll get nervous if I don't have it and I've even stuffed napkins in that pocket when I cannot get back for my hanky. Dad taught me to always carry one along with a knife.

If I have to take my gun off to go into a gun free zone (post office, sheriff's office, courthouse) I will often forget to put it back into the holster and I can go all day with an empty holster. Could you imagine needing it and laying hands on something that wasn't there??? (Yesterday I only went a dozen miles in the car before realizing it was in the console, I put it back into the holster at the first opportunity).

I keep everything I carry on me in a pile. If I move anything out of the pile (phone, pistol, keys, glasses) I tend to forget that one thing and leave the house without it. Twice I have put on a holster and left the house without the pistol. SMH.

Whenever possible I sit in the corner facing the cash register or door. I do this in case of trouble. My closest friends also go about armed----we used to have a friendly competition as to who could sit down first, claiming the advantageous seat.

I carry a 5 pound CO2 extinguisher in my trunk. Whenever I stop for gas, I first set out the extinguisher and shut the trunk before pumping gas. I no longer use the auto lock feature on the handle and when done I put the extinguisher back into the trunk. Twice people have come up and asked if I was "in a company vehicle." I explained "yes I am, but I own the company," (which is true, it's just a very small company). I then explained why I do this. They both agreed it was a good idea.

When the subject of smoking comes up (WV leads the nation in cigarette smoking) I say "I only smoke crack." This usually causes strange looks and then I explain that I am joking. Once I was talking with an old coworker who is now a police officer. Several of his comrades were standing with us and he offered me a cigarette. By habit I said "no thanks, I only smoke crack." Every officer immediately spun around with wide eyes and jaws dragging. I then added my customary "I'm just kidding" and we all laughed with them shaking their heads.

When the drive through restaurant girl asks "do you want any ketchup or mustard?" I say, "no thanks, I am trying to quit." This usually causes a puzzled look and I pile on "that stuff is addictive and will ruin your life." It brings a few laughs 99.9% of the time.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 09-19-2017 at 02:27 AM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:24 AM   #18
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

I only chew chocolate milk.
Funny thing is I don't chew chocolate milk, just the regular stuff.

Another odd thing is really hot food doesn't seem to affect me.

I can get indigestion from Cottage Cheese, but not from Ghost Peppers.

When I barbecue I try to tone it down. And I still get complaints that it's too hot from sweating people holding their mouth's, as I pour more hot sauce on mine.

The only pepper that get's me is Peperoncini which is about the mildest pepper out there. It tears me up.

Go figure.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #19
davischevy

I had never really even thought about the coffee cup thing until now. When I pick the cup up, the tips of my fingers have to be on the seam lap.

Hot, spicy, foods don't bother me at all. The only food I have a problem with is cucumbers. I love them, but I will burp for hours.

Now for a visual you could do without, but you asked for it. I am right handed, but I can only wipe my butt with my left hand.

Your welcome.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

I rarely buy cffee unless I'm away from home. I am the same way, I like the seam where my fingers bend around it to take up the high spot. Who wants the seam on their bottom lip. I think before I gave it any thought and had my lip on it some coffee would run down the seam. Am I right?

Same with food with flavor, I mean hot food. No problemo. But if I eat too many pickled Japapeno slices my butt burns the next more when I do that left handed thing. Never hurts my gut, though. Iron gut with tender butt

My 6rh grade teacher told me Americans always turn their pie with the point facing them and when he went to Europe most would eat it however it sat. No way! Wouldn't taste right would it? I'm an American and I don't do that. I bought a round table so I could move the chair to where the point was aimed and slide it on over (kidding)

i always squeeze the lemon slice into my iced tea. I want lemon juice in my tea, not a garnish floating in it! If I get a seed in my mouth I put it between my thumb and index finger knuckle, hold my hand down by my leg, pick a direction, squeeze, watch it fly, and see the reaction of people where it goes. Am I a bad person?

Tim

Old 09-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #21
davischevy

You bad s-K, you bad.

That was Déjà vu. Have I said that to you before?

Old 09-19-2017, 09:42 PM   #22
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
My 6rh grade teacher told me Americans always turn their pie with the point facing them and when he went to Europe most would eat it however it sat. No way! Wouldn't taste right would it?
Dunno what to make of that.... I have always been an American, and I turn the crust towards me, not the point. Why? Like I said above, I save the best for last.
The part with the filling wins out over the crust, every time.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 09-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #23
davischevy

I too eat the crust first. With my right hand.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #24
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I too eat the crust first. With my right hand.
Well now that you mention it.... so do I. But sometimes I use a fork instead...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 09-20-2017, 02:51 AM   #25
In The Ten Ring

Hmm....what else?

I pour potato chips into a bowl....I don't like getting the bag oils on my hand and I cannot stand other people's hands in something I want to eat.

Given a "trail mix" I always eat one item at a time until gone and then move on to the next item, least to best flavored. I'll start with pretzels, then cheeze-its, then waffers.

I drive 55 mph on the interstate unless I am in a hurry, then I do 60 mph. If really in a hurry I do the speed limit. I get 25% better gas mileage, have much more reaction time, and have a more pleasant (less stressful) driving experience. I have been doing this since 2006.

If I get behind someone weaving in the roadway, I call in their plate number, vehicle description, location, and direction of travel. If possible I stay with them until they turn off at their destination or until police show up. A couple of times, police have arrived and pulled them over. Win.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote