The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #26
C10 - C90 Bill

Re: Somebody needs this

Although I've heard it both ways, most of us say Im-pal-a around here. I've owned Impala cars just about my whole life since teen age years. Although my first car at 15 was a Nomad. Including parts cars, the only 2 I've never owned was a '58 and a '59. Have all the others up to '73.

Beautiful '72 by the way in post #17.

Last edited by C10 - C90 Bill; 06-06-2018 at 11:33 PM.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Re: Somebody needs this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
... but my litmus test for these types of queries is;

do I know what the speaker is saying, however they pronounce it?
That's what I say. In the end, what comes out of our mouths is communication. If it serves that purpose then nothing else is important. It might 'matter" to some, but that doesn't make it important for everyone.

I worked for a woman born in the '20s and brought up very proper (propa). When I would mention the town in Maryland the way I have heard it 'in Maryland' my whole life, she would correct me the way her father would her. The town is Havre De Grace. So that's French, right? Well I'm not and this ain't France. I feel we pronounce it the way it reads... Haver-de-grace. She would correct me and saw it's, "Hava De Grah", and I'd tell her that's how to say it in French, this is America. Then I'd ask her how her dad pronounced 'Paris'. Good one, ey? I am absolutely positive her dad did not pronounce it as 'Pay-REE', the way the French would say it. And I'm sure his cars weren't made in Daytroy, MI either

Here's how Eddie said it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLas7sRnmX8

Like I said, these cars never appealed much to me. That's because when they came out I didn't like them as much as what came before. But looking at them now it is different. I like their style way more than things newer, but the big thing is that these are what America did best, the last of the large turnpike cruisers that came in the late-50s. The big boats. Cars started downsizing and the big hood and deck lid cars became a thing no longer done. The other thing is convertible tops stopped being offered. So no more big honkin' drop tops like this one were offered for years. I remember the big deal being the Labaron conv. in the '80s. It was like the only one, which came out a while after any had been available. New businesses opened just to do convertible top conversions through those years. A '70s fullsize convertible today is a cool segment of classic car. You can hop in them and go. Funny nobody missed O/D in these cars either!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-07-2018 at 09:00 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote