The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #2801
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
Cut the foam for the headliner flames...
Wow!

Started straightening and painting my inside windshield trim. The left side may be beyond redemption however.

Decided to just go with original vacuum wipers - I mean, how much will I drive this in the rain anyway? Then I looked all over my shop and can't find my original vacuum wiper motor; oh my gosh I must have tossed it out in one of my cleaning frenzies!

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 03-02-2019 at 10:01 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #2802
idbeast

Quote:
Cut the foam for the headliner flames...
That's coming along nicely!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:39 AM   #2803
Kevin Mac

Flames look good!
I got my brakes together and bleed. I did add another port on my PS pump so I can run 2 returns lines couple days ago. Installed rebuilt pump while I had everything apart.
I slapped the wheels on and was going to take a quick spin before the 6" of snow falls tonight. Slid under truck to check for leaks and found fitting going to residual valve dripping. Went to tighten and the fitting broke. Glad I found it before I headed out. Anyway went to parts store and bought a change of oil while I was there. Will have to wait on test ride at least another week, going to be very cold.
Almost forgot I replaced both flex lines to calipers too. They looked to be 1978 original! While I had the wheels off I noticed axle seal was leaking so that may be next week's project. I enjoy reading about everyone's projects.
Mac
Attached Images

Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:42 AM   #2804
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Wow!

Started straightening and painting my inside windshield trim. The left side may be beyond redemption however.

Decided to just go with original vacuum wipers - I mean, how much will I drive this in the rain anyway? Then I looked all over my shop and can't find my original vacuum wiper motor; oh my gosh I must have tossed it out in one of my cleaning frenzies!
I drive every single day with vacuum wipers I get a kick out of them, they do the job, and with style.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:56 AM   #2805
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Mac View Post
Flames look good!
I got my brakes together and bleed. I did add another port on my PS pump so I can run 2 returns lines couple days ago. Installed rebuilt pump while I had everything apart.
I slapped the wheels on and was going to take a quick spin before the 6" of snow falls tonight. Slid under truck to check for leaks and found fitting going to residual valve dripping. Went to tighten and the fitting broke. Glad I found it before I headed out. Anyway went to parts store and bought a change of oil while I was there. Will have to wait on test ride at least another week, going to be very cold.
Almost forgot I replaced both flex lines to calipers too. They looked to be 1978 original! While I had the wheels off I noticed axle seal was leaking so that may be next week's project. I enjoy reading about everyone's projects.
Mac
Thanks idbeast and Kevin! That encouragement should get me going today.

Ahh, the maintenance! You just reminded me that I had finished my '55 Chevy sedan in 1981. It has flex lines... It has axle seal... It has...
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #2806
Kevin Mac

Quote:
Thanks idbeast and Kevin! That encouragement should get me going today.

Ahh, the maintenance! You just reminded me that I had finished my '55 Chevy sedan in 1981. It has flex lines... It has axle seal... It has...
Your flames have the "right" shape in my opinion. We raced small hydroplanes for over 40 years and my brother did most of the painting. When I wanted to paint some flames he was so excited to do it. He has a Hot Rod mag that showed how they did it with pin stripe edged being painted on as your first color. It turned out pretty nice for a shade tree backyard paint job.
Hope you all don't mind a couple not truck pics. I sold out 2 years ago and bought my 48.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #2807
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongray View Post
Hey way to go! My sids front end looks pretty sweet with the drop and There were no issues with dealing with Sid or assembling.
Yep I asked on a few forums and that is what I heard a lot. Their connection with you is awesome, I must have sent 15-20 emails so far with stupid questions and they are spot on polite every time back. I have done this stuff like spindle installation and I decided to let them do it because I have heard such good stuff about them. I will get an axle back, I will get all the steering linkage back modified too, ready to go, sounds good!

Brian

Old 03-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #2808
MARTINSR

Quote:
Your flames have the "right" shape in my opinion. We raced small hydroplanes for over 40 years and my brother did most of the painting. When I wanted to paint some flames he was so excited to do it. He has a Hot Rod mag that showed how they did it with pin stripe edged being painted on as your first color. It turned out pretty nice for a shade tree backyard paint job.
Hope you all don't mind a couple not truck pics. I sold out 2 years ago and bought my 48.
Those are perfection! Funny story, I was known in school as "The Flame" as I would draw them on every binder and desk. Now I did it in pencil on the desks so I wasn't vandalizing like every kid does today. Just to make that clear.

But I will draw flames like this all over, the funny part is I have only done ONE flame job on a car my whole life, and it was when I was 18, 42 years ago! And I have painted as living MANY of those 42 years! For some reason just never got into custom painting outside of a few candy jobs. But I draw them still everywhere, it's the only thing I can draw so I do it everywhere. This is a coffee cup I did with my daughter years ago at a daddy daughter day at a "Color me mine" pottery studio.
The video is me drawing them.

So, I have never done cool stuff like you did with your boat, that is so damn awesome! But check this out, so my wife recently got into quilting and she practiced drawing flames so she could sew flames into a quilt she made for me! Can you imagine sewing flames into a very large quilt spinning it around back and forth? How in the living hell she could pull this off I don't know, but check that out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbk4t_TDs3c

To anyone painting flames, RIGHT ON, keep it up, I love seeing them at the shows.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2019, 01:13 PM   #2809
DransportGarage

Quote:
Very cool boat and racing hobby! I have a close friend here that flames for Bobby Alloway and others. He and his partner flamed the 2015 AMBR winner ("America's Most Beautiful Roadster"). I steal all of his ideas that he will disclose!
Old 03-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #2810
DransportGarage

Hey Martin, very cool video! I subscribed. I can tell you've drawn a flame or two. ...and it looks like it's addictive, what with your wife STITCHING flames!
Old 03-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #2811
MARTINSR

Quote:
Hey Martin, very cool video! I subscribed. I can tell you've drawn a flame or two. ...and it looks like it's addictive, what with your wife STITCHING flames!
I have done it a LOT that is for sure! The funny thing is my wife learned it just drawing them herself in secret because the quilt was a surprise. When I showed her that video her eyes got as big as saucers it was like CRAP she could have used it.

Brian

Old 03-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #2812
evilokc

this weekend is freezing. the wind chill is -12. its to cold to do anything so what did I do? I drove the death rattle! it was so cold I didn't feel like going to the gym or doing anything that made me leave my house or take off my thick robe. I went out and the truck which I left in the drive way the last 3 days because my firebird needed repair in the garage fired right up without hesitation. I have the "fast" idle set a little higher than it needs to be but it does start and shoot the rpms up to get it running well. hard to tell how freezing cold and gloomy it is in the pic but its rough. last week was icy and luckily that's all gone. just cold now. I REALLY need to hook up the heater
Attached Images

evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:13 PM   #2813
Kevin Mac

Brian the stitching is *****ing. Liked the vid too.
Today was stop leak day. Pulled valve cover to change gasket. The lower 2 bolts have a plastic plug wire support that the bolt goes through. I can't get good clamping force because it crushes the plastic so I made some out of aluminum.
How do I figure out what heads I have? I took pis of some marking while the cover was off.
Mac
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2019, 11:29 PM   #2814
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
this weekend is freezing. the wind chill is -12. its to cold to do anything so what did I do? I drove the death rattle! it was so cold I didn't feel like going to the gym or doing anything that made me leave my house or take off my thick robe. I went out and the truck which I left in the drive way the last 3 days because my firebird needed repair in the garage fired right up without hesitation. I have the "fast" idle set a little higher than it needs to be but it does start and shoot the rpms up to get it running well. hard to tell how freezing cold and gloomy it is in the pic but its rough. last week was icy and luckily that's all gone. just cold now. I REALLY need to hook up the heater
I hardly recognized your truck with the hood on. Looks great!

I understand the cold. Our Governor declared my county a disaster area due to snow. Drove to town today; was shocked at the damage from broken trees. Most areas have their power back now however.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:33 PM   #2815
Kevin Mac

I found out what heads I have. Number 7.
http://www.v8volvo.se/mekartips/iden...tifiering.html
Mac
Old 03-03-2019, 11:35 PM   #2816
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
How do I figure out what heads I have? I took pis of some marking while the cover was off.
Mac
Casting No: 3932441
Engine application: 327/350
Years: 67-79
Intake/Exhaust Valve Size: 1.94/1.50
Combustion Chamber: 76cc

I immediately recognized them cuz they're the same heads that I just replaced on my motor.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:05 AM   #2817
Kevin Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Casting No: 3932441
Engine application: 327/350
Years: 67-79
Intake/Exhaust Valve Size: 1.94/1.50
Combustion Chamber: 76cc

I immediately recognized them cuz they're the same heads that I just replaced on my motor.
Thanks, that was quick work. Glad you got your leak fixed as well.
Mac
Old 03-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #2818
MARTINSR

I got my heater core tested to be sure it is healthy. I thought it looked to be in good shape but I had to pressure test it to be SURE before I committed it to the heater.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 AM   #2819
Dongray

Got all four tires on the ground today! Woohoo! I have little 185 tires on it for right now so it looks crazy low, at least for a straight axle. That is a 4x4 that doesnt quite fit under.
Attached Images

Dongray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:12 AM   #2820
MARTINSR

RIGHT ON Don! RIGHT ON!

I got back out there for my "five minutes" and ended up not stopping until the rear axle housing was stripped of paint. Beat me up, but damn it's nice it got so far!

I am happy that my heater will fit right where I plan without a mod like I thought I was going to have to do. So all it good tonight in the garage.

Brian

Old 03-05-2019, 02:17 AM   #2821
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongray View Post
Got all four tires on the ground today! Woohoo! I have little 185 tires on it for right now so it looks crazy low, at least for a straight axle. That is a 4x4 that doesnt quite fit under.
3-1/2"? Don't worry. You'll be able to get it down to a respectable height by letting air out of the tires!
Old 03-05-2019, 03:56 AM   #2822
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
3-1/2"? Don't worry. You'll be able to get it down to a respectable height by letting air out of the tires!
LOL!

Yikes, when the engine and front end are installed it'll drop another couple of inches too!
Old 03-05-2019, 04:56 AM   #2823
MiraclePieCo

Busy day on Craigslist. I looked at a '50 panel truck near me, a 4x4 conversion. Pretty nice running project on late model chassis with SBC, AT, PS and lots of spare parts, including two extra sets of rear barn doors, for $7000. I offered 5, he countered 6, and I said I'd think about it. Yes, that's a brand new grille; also has all new glass.

I also may have another change of plans on my windshield wipers. I found a NOS wiper motor identical to the New Port Engineering units for only $40. A little fabrication and I should have a setup equivalent to New Port's for about 1/4 the price. I'll keep you posted.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 03-05-2019 at 05:18 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #2824
nvrdone

the biggest concern with a straight dropped straight axle is the scrub line. that's the line between the bottom of the axle and the bottom of the rim. as long as your rim edge is below the axle if you loose a tire, the axle wont drag on the road surface. yours looks ok.
now when driving the truck you will find that you watch out for any bumps, man hole covers, driveways etc so that you don't scrape.
mine is low enough that I cant get a 4x4 under the axle. makes it kind of a pain to use a floor jack
nvrdone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #2825
Kevin Mac

Great seeing all the progress pics. I am still sliding around on cardboard fixing drips. Changes pinion seal on the 9 inch last night. Not much glory in that but I'm glad it's done. Now need to change axle seal on passenger side. Question, can I reuse the bearing retainer ring on that 57' 9 inch? Local suppliers don't carry that part but do have seal and bearing.
Mac