The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
kglowacky

volt/ amp gauge

I am trying to figure a way that I can make my factory amp/volt gauge read anything other then dead far left. I did a ls1 swap and concluded making it work as a factory gauge is not easy. I don't car if it does anything other then look like it is working. Trying to figure a way to hook up some wires and make it read anything other then pegged to the left to make it look like it is working. Any shade tree mechanics out there.

Last edited by kglowacky; 07-18-2020 at 10:32 AM.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: volt/ amp gauge

There are 2 things you can do, you decide.
1. Put a volt meter in that position.
2. Connect the 2 wires going to the amp gauge to the same wire. The way the amp gauge works is it measures the voltage difference at 2 different places on the same wire. In the factory setup, it is measuring the voltage difference between the battery and the alternator, along a 12 gauge wire that is about 5.5 feet long. If current is flowing toward the battery, such as when the battery is charging after starting the engine, then the meter moves a little bit toward C (charge). If the current is flowing away from the battery, such as when running things like headlights and blower motors when the engine is off, the meter moves a little bit toward D (drain). The normal position when battery is already charged and engine is running, is in the middle. About 5.5 of 12 gauge wire has a little bit of natural resistance, and that resistance causes the amp gauge to deflect when large amounts of current are flowing along the wire in one direction or the other.

In the factory wiring, no accessories are connected at the battery. All accessories are powered by the wire that goes to the cab from the junction near the driver side headlight where the alternator connects.

Here is a thread with diagram of parts of the wiring diagram that concern the ammeter (amp gauge). http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...12#post8341212
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
kglowacky

if I choose #2 then I can run one wire from a ignition hot to both sides of the amp meter? correct
Old 07-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
dmjlambert

Yes. But if you want to see movement of the needle, the idea is to use it to measure voltage difference between 2 separate places on the same wire, so you get an idea of which direction along the wire that current is flowing.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
kglowacky

thanks. I will run a 12 gauge wire from a ignition hot to one side of gauge then I will splice into that wire up around the dash cluster and hook it to the other side of the gauge. Leaving a couple feet of wire in between