The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
GeorgeLeonard

Question Cab height

I took the truck for a little cruise up and down the driveway today. The engine runs very well and the brakes stop the truck when called upon. This was my first opportunity to use the clutch and brake pedals and while they seemed to work as intended, I was a little disappointed at the scraping sounds they made as I pushed them in and out. The tops of the pedal rods are touching the tops of the holes that are in the floor- the ones made for this purpose. The screeching sounds as if I am torturing the poor truck.

Now my first inclination was to make the holes a little larger and thereby fix the problem. But after some thought, it occurred to me that there was no good reason that both holes should need enlarging unless there was some other problem that needed correcting. Im guessing that the body mounts may be deteriorated and consequently the the cab is riding a little too close to the frame- hence the pedal rods are no longer centered in their holes. Has anyone ever run into this? Does my theory make sense? Will replacement of the body mounts increase the space between the cab and the frame? Alternatively, is shimming an alternative? What would you do?
Attached Images

GeorgeLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
68panelman

Re: Cab height

My '42 does the same, its more side to side play on the pedals than body mounts.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
mr48chev

There are bolts where the pedals fasten to rest of the pedal assembly just below the floor board that you can loosen and adjust the pedals in side and then re tighten. That might fix the problem as I have had to do it a few times over the years on mine. There is a good chance that the cab mounts are worn too. A new set of cab mounts with bolts usually runs under 20.00 for a set from your choice of vendors.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLeonard View Post
Im guessing that the body mounts may be deteriorated and consequently the the cab is riding a little too close to the frame- hence the pedal rods are no longer centered in their holes.
Yes. You should replace your cab mounts
Posted via Mobile Device

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
GeorgeLeonard

Mr48Chevy's advice worked great. Im still going to replace the cab mounts but was able to re align the pedals with the holes using his helpful suggestion.
GeorgeLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
_Ogre

you should still replace the cab mount rubbers, i know on the 55-59 trucks it makes lining up the fenders a lot easier.
the front cab mounts get more oil on them from the motor and have a tendency to pancake
this causes the front of the cab to drop and the result is pinching the fender with the door

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote