The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2024, 08:53 AM   #176
Dleslie212

Re: 1973-1991 Dual fuel tank systems theory of operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniD View Post
It is not possible to wire it so the returns go to the "wrong" tank. The tank switch switches both the supply and return with the same signal. It is possible to wire it so that the wrong tank is selected but the supply should be coupled to the return.

Of course, there are ways to screw that up but they involve re-plumbing your fuel lines. Just re-wiring can't do that.
That's what I was thinking. I can easily just cross the return lines, but it bugs me not knowing why that's happening
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:42 PM   #177
Dleslie212

I went ahead and replaced the six port valve today, just to make sure it wasn't a problem with the valve itself. As I was connecting the six lines, I double checked the paperwork/diagram and the routing of the lines to make sure everything was in the correct spot.

Right now, both my tanks are fairly full. I filled them a few weeks ago, drove maybe 20 miles, and since then has been just idling in the driveway a total of maybe 20 minutes - so both the tanks are still pretty full. I don't have a fuel gauge hooked up just yet.

When running on one tank, if given long enough, the opposite tank starts spewing gas, as if the returns were backwards but they're not. If I switch tanks when the spewing begins, it will stop spewing after a second, and after awhile start spewing from the opposite tank

The strange part is that, before I swapped the valve today, the old valve and lines had been in place for almost three years with no problems, even with both tanks completely full. Nothing ha changed between now and then except for a complete rewire of the truck, selector switch included. Tanks, senders, straps, fuel lines and regulator were all replaced at the same time about three years ago.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-01-2024, 10:35 PM   #178
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleslie212 View Post
I went ahead and replaced the six port valve today, just to make sure it wasn't a problem with the valve itself. As I was connecting the six lines, I double checked the paperwork/diagram and the routing of the lines to make sure everything was in the correct spot.

Right now, both my tanks are fairly full. I filled them a few weeks ago, drove maybe 20 miles, and since then has been just idling in the driveway a total of maybe 20 minutes - so both the tanks are still pretty full. I don't have a fuel gauge hooked up just yet.

When running on one tank, if given long enough, the opposite tank starts spewing gas, as if the returns were backwards but they're not. If I switch tanks when the spewing begins, it will stop spewing after a second, and after awhile start spewing from the opposite tank

The strange part is that, before I swapped the valve today, the old valve and lines had been in place for almost three years with no problems, even with both tanks completely full. Nothing ha changed between now and then except for a complete rewire of the truck, selector switch included. Tanks, senders, straps, fuel lines and regulator were all replaced at the same time about three years ago.

Anyone have any ideas?
Do have a charcoal canister and is it connected to the vent line?
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:40 PM   #179
Dleslie212

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Do have a charcoal canister and is it connected to the vent line?
No charcoal canister. The vents on the two tanks are teed together by the selector valve, with a single line running up to a breather under the hood. But no canister