The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #1
Dachshund

Replacing A Dash

Ok, so I have found a pretty good "low Rust" cab for my 1947 5 window. The only trouble is - someone in it's past life has put a homemade dash in it (good job - ugly dash). My question is - how hard would it be to remove the dash from my original "swiss cheese" cab, and put it in the "new" cab? I have seen the dashes for sale, but don't have the cash for one just yet. How feasible is it to remove mine, and put it in the other cab? Am I better off going with an aftermarket or should I attempt it.
I've done a search, and came up with anything from "easy", to "impossible"....
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Replacing A Dash

its been done by several in the project section...got any pics of what your wanting to pull out?...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
its been done by several in the project section...got any pics of what your wanting to pull out?...
I'm on a borrowed computer, so I couldn't do a thorough search (and I can't post photos). I have not seen the dash in person, but BIL has, and sent me a photo via Facebook. It looks like they bent a sheet of metal and installed it where the old dash was. It has a "flat face" the full width on the front (where the gauges would be). No openings for radio/gauges/etc have been cut yet.
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:08 AM   #4
mr48chev

The dash is held in with spot welds every few inches across the top lip an connected to the cab at a couple of spots on the upper kick panels.
You can either sit in the Swiss cheese cab and drill out spot welds or you could cut across the cowl , through the corners of the windshield frame just outside the ends of the dash and take it loose under the dash and take it into the work bench or saw horses and sit comfortably while you cut the spot welds out.

This shot of the inside of one of my cabs that I cut the dash out of for someone to salvage part of shows the bracket with the two bolts that hold the lower part of the dash (orange arrow). I don't think the side of the dash is fastened to the cab down that edge.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote