The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
ubtripn

LMC Black mirrors rusted

I bought a pair of rectangular mirrors and single arms from LMC and they withstood being outside for about two years. Maybe I am just being too picky but my original mirrors on my 66 are fine after decades of exposure.

Does anybody know of a better supplier?

What other LMC parts are known to be sub-par?

Thank you in advance.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: LMC Black mirrors rusted

Where did they rust, the backside of the mounting area or at the base of the arm where it meets the mounting area?. Were they painted behind the mounting area? I see the rust on 45-50 year old OEM mirrors in those areas. 2 years? That sure sucks.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
ubtripn

The back of the mirrors which appeared anodized and the swivel hardware which was chrome. Live and learn I guess.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

That's really sad to see. So the heads didn't rust out but they surface rusted? Sounds like the plating was so poor it did no better than leaving them bare raw steel. What other LMC offerings are sub-standard? Seems to be quite a bit of things by just the more recent posts. I have had no experience with LMC since '04 when I realized they rip you off on shipping by going with purchase price and not size and weight, which is how those who deliver the items charge.... which for LMC is a mere fraction of what you or I would pay. I think the last part I bought was small and expensive. Left me wondering what they made more off of, the part or shipping. The steering wheel I bought in '01 got a big split at 12 o'clock about 4 years after installing it. And, the seat cover I bought at the same time was of such cheap material and fit so poorly my upholstery guy (since the '70s) had to modify it, spend extra time, and still ended up with such a poor job he wouldn't charge me. He said get a quality cover and come back.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Getter-Done

I bought a set of black mirrors part # 38-5828 & 38-5829 about 15 years ago.
The outside black paint rusted within a year.
I also bought trim rings to go around the headlights part # 36-4324 & 36-4325
They did not match. They were not even close to matching.
From 30 feet away you could tell the difference.
I called CS and the Response was we get The left from (this) vendor and the right side from (another) vendor. If you return them and get another set they will look the same.
So I bought some paint and Painted Them to match.
So after all these years at-least there Quality is the Same
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
plastercracker

everything now days is horrible. replaced both trucks , filler neck gourmets. not even a year old and so dry rotted. cab mount kit with hardware, the bolts where only grade 3 and for a hex head at end of bolt was only a knurled end with nut pressed on it. lucky my stock bolts where real good shape. soft seal door gasket kit is holding up good. new sending unit in a week float filled with gas. i believe 6x9 chrome mirrors from summit are still holding up good. so disappointing the money i have spend from known dealers is garbage.
plastercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:05 AM   #7
toolboxchev

Sorry to hear about this to say the least. I have learned also the hard way on some items.

Marketing, Learn about it before you buy. I personally go by a company's reputation more than anything else. One in particular speaks to the parts availability more than anything, if it does not pass his muster, he just will not sell it.

Check out GMC Paul or Classic Industries.

Some are in it for the money, others have a genuine passion and are a fellow enthusiast.

A lot of old OEM stuff is worth refurbishing, rather than replacing.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote