The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #151
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Serious Black

Video in case anyone missed it from my earlier

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=fLykjfKRISc

Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #152
snipescastle2

I was asked to post a picture of what I used to mount my seats to the floor of the cab, thought I'd show a picture of the square steel plates I used. I sandwiched these between the feet of the seats and the floor shyer metal using grade five hardware. Then torqued them down to spread out the clamping area.
I believe these are used with "Uni-Strut" for hanging electrical conduit.called a square strut washer.
Have a good one!
Ben
Attached Images

Last edited by snipescastle2; 03-28-2016 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 03-31-2016, 10:31 AM   #153
snipescastle2

well, I took my truck to the exhaust place last Friday, but the owner said my truck was "Too Low" to fit on his rack, he didn't even try to accommodate me , but he did refer me to another local shop that will, tomorrow I'm gonna try this again!
With regards to my brakes not being up to par, I decided to have a look see if the push rod from the booster to my master cylinder was misadjusted, a whole lot better now. Man, I was thinking, I know these big cams don't make much vacuum, but Dayum! Sure took a lot of foot pressure to stop the beast!!! at least I'm good now.
I have to install my seat belts and install my windows, the kick panel covers for the interior and wire up the radio and I'm headed for my inspection and plates! Yeah!

I already talked to one collector insurance agent, I need to call Hagerty and see what they say before I put it on the road.
well, That's it for now.
Have a good one!
Ben
Old 03-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #154
Low Elco

Re: Serious Black

I have the number of a good appraiser if you want it, any classic insurance is gonna want one. Stoked for you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #155
snipescastle2

Chip,
When I have everything buttoned up, I'll give you a shout. I still have my trim I need to install, that will be a day job in itself!
Thanks for the "kudos"
Ben
Old 04-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #156
snipescastle2

well,
I got the exhaust done Friday, I think I should have picked a different type of muffler....."Shiggadamn" this thing is loud!!!! it's louder than any glass pack exhaust I ever owned....guess I'll be looking for some turbo muffler asap!!!
but, on a better note, The shop installed everything very nicely, and tucked it up under pretty good. here's a pic taken from the back end before I left for work this morning...

I also took a few before pics when I parked it outside, keep in mind, I haven't installed my vent windows or door window glass as well as the side trim pieces. coming along rather nicely though....
Ben
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2016, 01:24 AM   #157
JJ's Sierra Grande

killer job, I love that stance. so many guys are stuck on the bags and laying them on the ground but this looks like it means business. and those rally wheels are cool.
I know you have the side vents to instsall still but looking at these pics i'm thinking when I eventually get to that stage on mine I may have to get that full window glass kit and delete the vents. It justs seems to ad something not having that vent glass line in the opening. although I wonder how much more turbulence you'd get in the cab because of it not being there. anyway, great job there fella.
JJ's Sierra Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #158
snipescastle2

Thanks! I had thought about leaving the "wind wings" out, but I didn't want to change the looks to drastically. Besides,I had rebuilt those way early in the build and didn't want to shell out another $500 on glass and power window equipment. Thanks again on the "props"
Ben
Old 04-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #159
Warrens69GMC

Nice Job!!
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #160
swamp rat

Yea I'm kinda partial to 24" glass packs myself I agree with above posters nice job and the stance is great!~

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #161
sduckworth13

Wow!!! Ben your truck turned out amazing!!
Old 04-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #162
snipescastle2

Scott,
Thanks! But it's not done yet.... I got my inspection done and I got my plates yesterday too! I still have to put on my trim. I also have to install the vent Windows and my power windows,door panels etc....
The guy's at our central machine shop are making me a radio bezel out of billet aluminum for the dash then I can mount the stereo.once I get all that done, I have to take it back to the painter so he can fix the bottoms of the doors (he painted everything wile it was apart,should have insisted that he hang the doors prior to paint. They stick out noticeably at the bottom) other than that, I still have a power brake issue,but that could be due to the lumpy solid lifter cam I'm running too...not much for vacuum, might have to try hydro lost brakes.....
Have a good one!
Ben
Old 04-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #163
snipescastle2

well,
I have plates/safety inspection done, not to get the brakes finished (E Brakes that is) I think the biggest problem with my brakes was the combination valve must have been stuck, any way's, I bought the 4 wheel disc combination valve Wednesday, and installed it last night, I didn't have time to bleed the lines before I got called in for the night.
I installed a new advance kit in my HEI distributor and put in a fresh set of plugs gapped at .040" and readjusted my carb, idles much better and doesn't run nearly as rough as it did.
I did have to trim some metal off the end of my lower control arms to clear my wheels (they were scraping the inside of the back of my Rally's up front. at first I thought it might be the ball joints weren't tight enough(taper in the spindle ends) but they were, so, I elected the easy route. much better now.
I have to route my E brake cables next, then tackle the power windows and exterior trim pieces......
well, I have to get back to work!
Have a good one!
Ben
Old 04-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #164
snipescastle2

well, not much going on right now, working ten hour days, but I did score a Van Tilt from board member Ls1nova71 (Eric) so now I'm painting that, getting it ready for installation, just did the neutral/reverse light switch mod, bought new turn signal stalk/shifter arm and tilt levers. details you know. started installing my beltline trim and lower trim, talk about nervous as hell.....
I did find that using an old "Door Bumper" rubber bumper placing it over the drill bit, kept me from slamming the chuck into my freshly painted sheet metal....I also used 1/4" pin striping tape to lay down the center line for all my hole locations and used the factory shop manual as a guide for locating the approximate locations for each hole. well, I have to get to work, pictures to follow.
Ben
Old 04-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #165
Hart_Rod

The dash bezel came out great! Would you mine share the cad file for it and the glovebox? Thanks,

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #166
snipescastle2

Rob,
The moderators added it to the FAQ section:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=690231

Ben
Old 04-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #167
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
Rob,
The moderators added it to the FAQ section:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=690231

Ben
Thanks!
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:14 AM   #168
snipescastle2

well,
I finished plumbing my Electric Vacuum pump for my brakes, but after hooking up everything, wiring the relay and vacuum switch, I had a pretty bad vacuum leak, started checking each connection and found one of my hoses was bad, replaced that, still had a vacuum leak. I got all the way to the vacuum booster and dang if it wasn't the booster that was bad! So, bought a brand new one, problem solved! lots od vacuum, switch cuts off the pump once it hits 20" vacuum, and the reservoir I built from a used 2 pound "Oxygen" bottle holds enough vacuum for a few applications of the brakes too.

Now, the power window installation, that's another story....I started installing my power window regulators on the driver's side and after I got it all installed along with the door weather stripping, wired the motor up and it only goes half way....WTF........any way's, I'm gonna install a set of manual window regulators for the time being, so I can start driving this beast, the vacuum brakes was the real show stopper, but I wanted to have my window glass in before I started driving the truck, can't wait any longer, I'll pick up on the power windows later in the fall. basically, all I have left besides the windows is to tidy up the wiring under the dash, finish installing my stereo and install the rest of the seat belts.....Yeah!!!
Have a good one!!!
Ben
Old 06-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #169
Low Elco

Git 'er done!
Old 06-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #170
snipescastle2

Chip, workin' as fast as I can!!! Had my "Holiday" weekend this past weekend, got a lot done. I want to get some miles on this engine and start going to some cruise in's and shows.....have a good one!!!
Ben
Old 06-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #171
Vic1947

Quote:
install ... so I can start driving this beast, the vacuum brakes was the real show stopper...
I'm with you on that, Ben! After I boosted the brakes on Maybelline, I felt beaucoup safer on the road. Before that, it was white knuckles.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #172
snipescastle2

Vic,
Yeah, when I first got to drive this, it was exactly "White Knuckles" scared the bejesus out of me.......I thought the lack of power brakes was due to "Lumpy" cam any way's, just have a few minor things left, like finding an alignment shop that will work on a lowered truck....do you know of any there locally? Have a good one!
Ben
Old 06-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #173
Vic1947

Quote:
...finding an alignment shop that will work on a lowered truck....do you know of any there locally?
I take all my stuff to John at NKC Brake Service on Swift Avenue. They have ramp extenders that allowed both my lowered vehicles to fit on the rack. I'd think someone in the 'Burg would be able to handle it, though. I can check with my brother if you'd like. He works at one of the dealer body shops there in town and might know a good place. Good luck, you're almost there!
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #174
snipescastle2

Thanks Vic! Been almost three years (July 5th, 2013) since I started this project!
Yahoo!!!
Ben
Old 06-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #175
Low Elco

Get it mobile and come join us for power tour and Roadkill nights! June 17/18