The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
heritage03

Headers or manifolds

Hey guys I am new here and have done some reading. I am restoring a 67 C10 and replacing the tired IL6 with a small block. Its a standard 3OTT with no power steering just a plain jane pickup,and I am would like opinions on what would work best for exhaust? Rams horn manifolds or headers? If anyone could enlighten me that would be great. Would kinda like to go headers but would ask the folks on this forum what make and style work the best.
heritage03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Headers or manifolds

Really, both work well and it's a simple matter of preference. I like headers and never suffered any issues to steer me away from them. I have had trucks I left the rams horns on and same thing. Fact is, both work well and both can have a problem. The one factor to consider for you is clearance of the clutch linkage using headers. Some clear, some don't and I never see a definitive answer to a specific header that clears with no issues. I got by the back tube needs to run straight down or slightly forward. The only other question would be dropping down far enough to pass under. I have had to cut the lower arm and re-weld to one side. I've had others that went right on. These were headers I know are no longer made, so no help on specific brand

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
jradford

They make some pretty good looking Ram Horn style exhausts now days. They are cheaper than a good set of headers. You won't have fitment issues with them and your accessories will all bolt up. Probably work just as well for a bone stock engine. That being said I pick my 72 up today with a new set of ceramic coated Hedman elites that look great installed and other than buying the A/C adapter bracket no issues for fit. I went the header route because my ram horns were cracking, my engine has mild improvements, and I don't know what the future holds for the engine bay. When this 350 gets tired I am thinking a 383 torque motor so I installed the headers. Both will work. Depends on where you are going with the truck and your budget. Good luck.
jradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
harpo231

hooker comp long tube

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...23501382350138
Attached Images

harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Grumpy old man

Manifolds , headers performance wise don't overcome manifolds until your over 5,000 rpm. They leak ,They're expensive and on a regular daily driver/ cruiser no real benefit over regular rams horn manifolds ,Here's a 350 I'm assembling using some chrome rams horn manifolds (this truck will be sold when I'm done ) they look good , they work and your not dealing with header problems down the road .

$127.99 shipped from Jegs regular cast are about the same price
Attached Images

Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
harpo231

For mild street engines, dyno testing has proven that smaller-diameter primary pipes (such as 1-5/8 inch for a mild 350 Chevy) tend to build more torque at more useful low and midrange engine speeds. Larger-diameter headers tend to kill low-end torque in favor of higher-rpm power increases....

It's all what you're shooting for ....
Old 03-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
For mild street engines, dyno testing has proven that smaller-diameter primary pipes (such as 1-5/8 inch for a mild 350 Chevy) tend to build more torque at more useful low and midrange engine speeds. Larger-diameter headers tend to kill low-end torque in favor of higher-rpm power increases....

It's all what you're shooting for ....
Mild 350 ? Wanna race that thing with the GRANNY tranny when your done ? Automatics are for girls !
Old 03-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
jradford

Just drove my truck home after the header and custom exhaust install. May not make a performance difference but man it sounds great. LOL Buy a high end header with thick flanges in stainless or ceramic coated and it alleviates a lot of common header issues. Use a good aftermarket header bolt and you shouldn't have issues with them loosening up either. You get what you pay for. Learned years ago do not buy cheap headers. They don't fit well, rust and look like crap. I do agree the ram horns are perfectly fine for a stock to mild motor.
jradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
harpo231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Mild 350 ? Wanna race that thing with the GRANNY tranny when your done ? Automatics are for girls !
Says you pal !! and one armed guys
Old 03-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
A1971Blazer

I used to pull the manifolds off and put headers on everything I bought.....now it's the opposite.....headers will leak...sooner or later.....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #11
leddzepp

Manifolds, unless you want to spend a lot of money on quality headers.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:22 PM   #12
Mike C

Another vote for manifolds. Especially if you are leaving the 6 cylinder frame stands in place so that the SBC is mounted further back, the Rams Horns work great.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Funny how people say headers leak as if manifold donut gaskets don't, or gaskets at the head for that matter. No one has ever had to replace those before? Sounds like a fairy tale because I know for a fact they do. And I'd rather lay under the truck , bust off three bolts (if they are frozen), remove el cheapo gasket, install quality gasket, new bolts, in 15 minutes, and forget about it than go through replacing a donut gasket down in the abyss and deal with stripped or burned up studs. That's why muffler shops, guys who get paid to deal with it for a living, will just cut the downpipe and weld new exhaust to it if they can get away with it. I did new heads two years ago, so headers and the gaskets I put on when new in '04 (12 years earlier) had to come off. Before they made quality collector gaskets I would double up the cheapos. I hate things that are a pain in the rear. Got enough of that in life. I would not be running headers if they were a P.I.A. My '04 headers I put a wire wheel to and hit with VHT. I have a brand new set I bought 10 years ago for another truck that is gone. After these last their twenty or so years I'll bolt those on for my last pair on that truck I plan to keep till I die.

I didn't want to see yet another pee contest. That is why my first reply was neutral. I love headers but that is for me. If someone wants manifolds I don't try to talk them out of it. I know what works for me and any info I give is objective and general. Notice the first two responses were header guys not dissing manifolds. Almost seems some manifold guys have security issues . I gave my answer as if they were going on the OP's truck, not mine.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #14
harpo231

Yeah ,,,, what he said.....
Old 03-29-2018, 11:20 PM   #15
Grumpy old man

Just my own personal experiences with different exhaust systems over the last 50 + years , No one ever accused me of trying to be politically correct .
Old 03-30-2018, 06:43 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

That makes two of us. I'm the kind of correct that existed all along before all that "politically" crap. I run on common sense mutual respect for individual rights
Oops, just fell off my soap box.

Cheap headers suck. Cheap gaskets suck. Cheap women...

Tim

Old 03-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #17
flashed

I like manifolds most times for my personal stuff but my latest truck with a 6 cylinder is getting headers and a 4 barrel carb and lowered .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #18
A1971Blazer

The way I look at it nowadays......GM (Chevrolet) has produced high horsepower, high performance engines for years......with the exception a a very small few....every single one....came from the factory with manifolds...
Headers look cool...they sound cool....they MIGHT add a little performance...but a lot of that depends on what mods accompany them....

And as -K says... to each his own....I totally respect other's opinions
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer

Last edited by A1971Blazer; 04-02-2018 at 11:37 AM.
A1971Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Headers leak when you overtighten fasteners. Even expensive headers will leak when fasteners are overtightened and warp the flanges. Manifolds leak too and donut gaskets are a PITA to replace.

I will always use headers over manifolds...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #20
heritage03

Thanks everyone for your input, thinking going manifolds now as the motor is a conservative build, mild cam and a bit tighter compression with dome pistons. The truck will be for cruising, for my fun drives I will take out my 69 Camaro with a tremec 5 speed and 454HO.

This is a great site and have learned much already, there is a lot of knowledge here!!
heritage03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:38 PM   #21
RichardJ

>>GM (Chevrolet) has produced high horsepower, high performance engines for years......every single one....came from the factory with manifolds...<<

Close, but not 100%.
The C4 Corvette L98 TPI engine used these tube headers, covered with the heat shields. The following LT1/LT4 engine had nearly identical cast manifolds and curiously covered again with tin shields.
Some believe Chevy decided the tube headers added too much engine noise.

>>Headers leak when you overtighten fasteners.<<

I found this to be especially true on my inline six. With the more even tightening ability with studs the length of the head, new gasket leaks are generally resolved by loosening the nuts.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #22
RustyBucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Here's a 350 I'm assembling using some chrome rams horn manifolds

$127.99 shipped from Jegs regular cast are about the same price
I LIKE those, hadn't seen 'em...... curious what the chrome will do with the heat.

I have rams horns on the GMC & headers(Headman) on the Blazer. No problems w/either. Headers have the ball & socket collectors so no gasket problem there.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #23
HO455
Post Whore

#1 tip for headers is to verify the flange sealing rings are flat and true with each other. Most manufacturers send little or no time on this. I surface mine on a 3 foot belt sander so all of the surfaces contacting the gasket are on the same plane. If there are low spots I build them up with a bead of weld and resurface the flange. On the collector end I am a big fan of cuttng the rings and flanges off and using truck bands in their place. With some exhaust sealing paste under them for a leak free seal.
Just my system, your results may vary.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #24
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That makes two of us. I'm the kind of correct that existed all along before all that "politically" crap. I run on common sense mutual respect for individual rights
Oops, just fell off my soap box.

Cheap headers suck. Cheap gaskets suck. Cheap women...
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #25
Daman

I quit using collector gaskets years ago when they came out with header buddies. No leaks

When I redid my exhaust on my '72 I ordered new manifolds (2.5") and instead of using "donut gaskets I fabbed up my own header buddies for manifolds.
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote