The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Kevin McPherson

Curious about upgrades

IF I were to aquire later model running gear,with PS,PB,(disc front)and install them on my 67 K10,would that ruin the value of it or help it? I have also found a factory AC box and unit,and was considering installing that.Any help here would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Kevin McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
rockc

Re: Curious about upgrades

My 2 cents, I like keeping them as close to original as possible.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
IAFF2407

for value keep it stock. the big question is what are you going to use it for? mine is for towing a large travel trailer long distance. the stock seats are not comfortable and for safety there is no headrest. so in goes '07 Escalade seats, caddy 500 motor and air bags. I will definitly not get my money back, but my kids have moved out and now I have my toys. newer running gear means cheaper repairs in the future.

Al.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
BADSAM
J'ville Junkman

IMHO, I think it would add value. Would any of us turn away a truck that had been upgraded, or if given the choice between two at the same price or a little higher take the one without the upgrades.

By no means think it will be a 1:1 pay back, but I think it will be in your favor. IMHO of course.

And if you plan on driving it daily, the upgrades will be well worth the price.
57 Chevy 210 Wagon - 9 Passenger (Wife's project-working on floorpans)
73 Corvette (17 yr old daughter's: Another project - what's wrong with me?)
53 Willys M38
BADSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
ERASER5

If the truck/burb was a highly optioned unit and in very good shape, I might consider keeping it original. But if it is a plain vanilla version, upgrade away!
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
Frizzle Fry

I would normally say upgrade, but considering the rarity of your 67 K10 Burb I think I'd be hesitant.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
mosesburb
I had a V-8

If you are going to drive it, power disc brakes are worth their weight in gold. If you are concerned about originality, keep the original parts to pass on if you sell it. No cutting/welding is required to convert--just wrench turning.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Kevin McPherson

Thank you all for the opinions.MAN YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! You have successfully mirrored every dilemma racing thru my mind. I want to drive it everyday,Iwant it to steer and stop better,I would like to be able to get parts thru the parts store w/o having to worry if they can still get them. But I am very hesitant about messing with such a rare beast. why couldn't they have just put on to begin with....lol....it would save me alot of sleep. dont worry it will take me a LOT more debating before and IF I ever turn a wrench on her in that manner
Old 04-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
If you are going to drive it, power disc brakes are worth their weight in gold. If you are concerned about originality, keep the original parts to pass on if you sell it. No cutting/welding is required to convert--just wrench turning.
I totally agree, but I have learned that it is all in the mind-set for me. Once I start upgrading I just do more and more. Pretty soon I'm saying screw originality all together ...
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
71swb4x4

I think there is a huge difference between upgrading with fairly new parts, vs upgrading with 67-72 parts. A 67 with power steering added on isn't going to hurt value. A 67 with power disc brakes from a 71 or 72 wouldn't really hurt the value much IMO. Whenever I look at a 67-72 I really don't care if other 67-72 parts were used. When we get above that I start to wonder how well the "splicing" of the parts was performed.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Kevin McPherson

That is what I am afraid of Frizzle Fry
But it is the 67-72 parts that are the hardest to find...and afford when one does.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
jimbug

personally I really dig the body style and pure vintage looks, but i DD my burb and modern convienences are very nice!
I still remember my first car it had nothing power about it... I have added 4-wheel discs and an overdrive to my suburban and it makes all the difference in the world when it comes to driveability.
I agree with mosesburb keep the original parts and enjoy the upgrades in the mean time... Just my $.02
jimbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
capev86

i like keeping the body stock....no excessively shaved bodies or chopped tops....destroys the styling. but a few modern touches can help, especially if they are bolt in mods or newer factory tech.

my 72 suburban is a 3/4 ton 2wd model with coils on all 4 corners and the only big chassis mod are 1-1/4" front and 1-1/8" rear sway bars from classic performance products. it has a 307 with a 3 on the tree. i am replacing all the ignition parts and doing an elctronic ignition upgrade (petronic ignitor from lmc) but will eventually replace it with a low mile 406sbc and re-gear the diff with a highway friendly gear but keep the rugged 3 speed to keep it somewhat original.

for your truck, i'd graft in the front suspension from a 90's or newer gm 4x4 with independent suspension. 2000+ has big 4 wheel disc and both 2 and 4 wheel drives are 6 lug! you could install the newer rear axle too to make the rear brake swap easy. it would make a really nice hybrid and the parts would be all factory gm, not some adapter kit from an aftermarket supplier......i hate going that route......

Last edited by capev86; 05-25-2009 at 07:41 PM.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #14
Skirkpat

These things are not super valuable stock or modified, but if done nicely, I bet a well built suburban will sell before a stock (uncomfortable) drum/ no power resto will, I restored chevelles and purposely kept my last 90,000 mile convertible stock, the only guys wanting to buy it were going to "rod" it, they won and it is now a resto moded car unfortunately, but that is what most people do now. The days of stock vehicles seems to be fading, watch TV I have yet to see an "Unpimp my ride" show yet. Build it like you want it, remember it's yours.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
garryk

AT some point my '72 Suburban will have 4 wheel disc brakes and upgraded seats. It about the safety and comfort for me. I will never sell mine, so value is what its worth to me. The easier it is to drive the better.

1968 LWB C20
1969 Blazer
1972 Suburban
1989 Suburban (Beast)
garryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
capev86

i like the stock interior in my truck. stock 6 passenger (wide second row). i hope to adapt an 80's third seat and hardware (fold and remove easily) but i will have it upholstered to match the stock seats. the armrests and ash trays are almost identical. just the support for the armrests is more simplistic on the newer seat.

nothing wrong with bench seats in a truck. the threaded holes already exist in the b pillar for a factory shoulder belt upgrade.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #17
olblue60@aol.com

Do the upgrades make the truck more valuable to you? If it does, it probably does to other people as well. In all cases, you just have to find the right buyer.
1941 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1972 Camaro SS 396 #s matching
1971 Harley FX Superglide
olblue60@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote