The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Maxian

Ultra massive oil leak from filter

Just fired up my 454 for the first time.
Was a supposedly a fresh engine and good runner with a bad cam. Engine had very little miles and it showed.
I installed a new cam and went through engine and all looked good.
Here's the issues which may or may not be related.
#1)
While priming engine with cordless drill it was pegging my cheesy oil pressure guage. A very, very slow speed would give me 40-50 pounds and full power on the drill would peg guage, which I'm guessing would equate to 140+ pounds.
#2)
As soon as engine fires it blows oil out the top of oil filter ( between filter and block ). I'm talking losing 4 or 5 quarts of oil in seconds.
Checked filter. It was loose. Thought I found problem. Cranked filter down and fired engine. Ran for 2 seconds and the oil started pouring out again. Not a double gasket.
I don't remember taking adapter off so I have no info on whether it's loose or bad. Going to try and attach a picture.
You guys are awesome.
Thanks for any input.
Brad

P.S.
Cuz my wife wanted it pink
Attached Images

Maxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
mmiddle

Re: Ultra massive oil leak from filter

40-50 PSI is not unusual priming the engine. Cold oil/cold engine/blocked passages from no rotation.
But, blowing out the top of the filter makes me wonder if the pressure relief valve on the pump is stuck. Did you install a new pump? Is it a Melings pump? if not put a Melings in it.
Are you using a A/C PF35 filter or equililant/
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
Maxian

I'm talking 40-50 pounds of oil pressure with the drill turning at a crawl.
As far as pump goes it looked new when I had pan off. If I remember right it had a Mellings tag on it. Took off to clean since engine had been sitting. All looked good.
Using a new NAPA filter. Gold series.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Something is plugged.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
marvgarr68

Probably high volume pump with new engine oil pressure will be through the roof. If you don't want to pull pan and change oil pump to standard run a k&n oil filter. Also if you have a high volume pump and you turn it at high rpm you will suck air in a stock oil pan. K&n has high pressure handling can get it at Napa.
Posted via Mobile Device
marvgarr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Longhorn 70

Are you sure you have the right filter? BPO filters have a different gasket diameter than Chevy...maybe someone mixed up a box???

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
BrianG

I know this may seem too basic, but check to make sure that an old gasket from the previouis oil filter did not get stuck on the block when the old oil filter was removed. I see from your picture that it isn't there now, but perhaps it came off with your new filter. I have had this happen, it was a fresh rebuild, and blew out going down the road. Lost enough so quickly that I had to tear it apart again. This is the reason why its always important to put some oil in the seal when installing a new filter. Prior to this, I wondered if it was really necessary. You can bet I always do now. The old gasket stuck, and I didn't check when putting the new one on. The oil must have squirted out between the two gaskets.

Might not be your issue, but easy enough to check.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I know this may seem too basic, but check to make sure that an old gasket from the previouis oil filter did not get stuck on the block when the old oil filter was removed. I see from your picture that it isn't there now, but perhaps it came off with your new filter. I have had this happen, it was a fresh rebuild, and blew out going down the road. Lost enough so quickly that I had to tear it apart again. This is the reason why its always important to put some oil in the seal when installing a new filter. Prior to this, I wondered if it was really necessary. You can bet I always do now. The old gasket stuck, and I didn't check when putting the new one on. The oil must have squirted out between the two gaskets.

Might not be your issue, but easy enough to check.
Oops... sorry, guess you already said it wasn't a double gasket
Old 08-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Maxian

Took adapter off. No cracks and valve works fine.
Something is causing an extreme amount of pressure.
I tightened it beyond belief with a wrench last night and it lasted less than a second before oil started pouring out. Went to take filter off and it was hand loose.
Could it be just a bad oil filter ??
I can't see how though, seems like a simple device.
Valve train is getting oiled, I know that from priming engine.
Oil is getting into filter, but not getting back into block ( my guess anyway ) so something from the filter and beyond must be plugged ????

Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
cdowns

simple things are hard to outthink
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Longhorn 70

Many years ago Purolator had problems with filters like this. You may want to just try a different filter. Maybe a different brand.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
john
member #16

I had a 454 do the same thing. New oil pump had a stuck pressure relief valve.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
Maxian

That's what I narrowed it down to.
Pulling pan now.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Did you try another filter? I had one leak between the steel rim and the tin canister as bad as you describe.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
PatrickGMC70

I sure would try a new filter before I dropped the oil pan.
Posted via Mobile Device
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
volksworld

the fact that a fresh engine wiped out a cam sounds like lack of oil...when you pull pan to change pump take a look at the bearings
Old 08-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I've been driving vehicle for over 50 years and I have had cross-threaded filters and even a cross-threaded filter adapter, but never had a filter do what this one is doing. I will have to agree with the blocked passageway theory.

Oil goes from pump to the filter and on to the galleries. Seems to me something is blocking or restricting the flow beyond the filter. Path of least resistance is the filter and/or rubber seals at that point.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

I agree it could be a blocked passage or pump relief. But,why wouldn't you try another filter 1st? It probably is a blocked passage and that starved the top-end,which would wipe the cam. I think now we know why this "fresh" engine got sold.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I agree it could be a blocked passage or pump relief. But,why wouldn't you try another filter 1st? It probably is a blocked passage and that starved the top-end,which would wipe the cam. I think now we know why this "fresh" engine got sold.
I think he checked the adapter and put a new filter and it did it again. I wonder if a head gasket was cut wrong blocking the galley passageway or even the wrong head gasket. I'm not even sure that could be done, though.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Why keep trying to use the same filter? Get a different one. Even if it's the same brand.

I would be very leary of running an engine that had a prior cam failure that you have no clue of the condition of the internals, or if it was even cleaned out properly. It takes a complete tear down, and a cleaning like you wouldn't believe to get the massive amounts of metal flakes out of the engine.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
pumpkin

sounds like metal from the cam has caused the preasure releif in the oil pump to stick closed. All the metal from the cam will grind all the bearings and there mating surfaces. I have yet to see an engine with a wiped out cam do more than a few thousand miles before the mains and rod bearings are knocking, or a rod poking out through the oil pan.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #22
Maxian

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.
Couple comments,
The person I got engine from has been my best friend for 25 years so I knew it wasn't any form of deception. I saw this run at the track personally which is why it baffled me so much.
The other friend is an idiot though. Although he is very talented at building an engine, he couldn't break in a cam if his life depended on it. Once I noticed the bad cam I knew instantly who built it.
Lol.
Anyway, before I installed engine I took it apart and went through it because it had been sitting for about 10 years. The engine looked like it was built yesterday, all new parts, bearing were perfect. Money was dumped in this engine by way of heads/rods/pistons etc.
That's why when I primed engine and pegged gauge with cordless drill I didn't think to much about the oil pressure. Figured gauge was bad.
Everything led to the oil pump, which was new also, but the only available option.
Dropped pan, pulled oil pump which looked like it just came out of the box, and opened it up.
Holy cow, the inside looked like it was pulled up from the Titanic. The 2 gears were fine, but the valve area was rusted beyond belief.
So, somewhere along the line the engine had water sitting in it or condensation over the years rusted it up.
Weird because no other signs of water.
So that's what the problem was, the oil pump.
I was gonna change it too as I always do when going through an engine, but the known mileage and inside condition talked me out of it.
Lesson learned.

Thanks for all your thoughts
Old 08-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #23
BrianG

Maybe I missed it, but I went back through the posts and still don't see it???

So was the cam bad in THIS motor? I understand that there must have been water in part of the pump at some time, but the posts about the cam have me confused.

I'm just asking because I was following the thread and wanted to know the outcome (to store it away in that big empty file cabinet above my neck).

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #24
Maxian

I went through engine strictly because it had been sitting. Upon going through it I noticed the cam had a bad lobe. Don't know why I mentioned it since it didn't have anything to do with the issue.
They built it for a dirt track car but didn't like the way the big block felt in the F-body car ( nose heavy ) and pulled it after a couple weekends. They didn't even know it went bad.
Sometime between them pulling it out and me buying it water must have gotten into engine deep enough to cover the bottom of oil pump.
Other theory is just plain condensation. Having a day with a 50 degree variance in a 24 hour period is not uncommon so I'm going with condensation.
This engine looked exactly like it should inside after only a few hours run time.
Spotless.
Now we all know a stuck oil pump will create 2 billion pounds of oil pressure instantly.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #25
BrianG

Got it! Thanks For Posting Back.