The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
Droff

700R4 Rebuild Costs?

I'm looking into a 700R4 to replace the 350 in my '68 GMC, finding used ones here and there for around $400-500, condition is usually 'operating fine when pulled' kind of thing. I see a lot of recommendations here for a few online sellers and also a few recommendations to use a local shop.

I called a local shop that I've dealt with many years ago and thought the owner was a good guy. An older (than me) gentleman that sounded like a muscle car type. Anyway, I got some prices from him and they sound on the high side to me, just looking for some comparisons if anyone has any.
$100 core charge (don't have a 700 but he'll knock $50 off for my 350)
$1100-1400 for the rebuild and me install (includes TV cable, dipstick tube, TQ, turbo(?) converter) From the way he sounded, all components to connect the 700 in place of the 350. He also stated he wanted to see and drive the truck after I installed the transmission to make sure the TV cable was correct. He did go through all the steps I've seen for installing this into my '68, crossmember, yoke, driveshaft etc., so sounds like he's done it many times before.
$500 for his installation (includes everything but cutting down the driveshaft).

So somewhere in the $2000-2200 range with me dropping it off - which is on the high end, per his words. I've never swapped out a transmission so there's a definite learning curve on my part regardless of it being 'easy', 'bolts right in', 'just drill two holes'...

Another local shop rebuild quoted a $150 core charge plus my 350 and then $800 for the rebuild (new shift kit and stock TQ)

Anyone pay a shop for his kind of work lately?
Thanks for your inputs.
Droff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
swb4me

Re: 700R4 Rebuild Costs?

You're getting close to the cost of a 700r from gearstar. They have a $250 core charge, but you'll have to buy a core or pay a core charge either way, since you don't own a 700r already. A local rebuild could very easily cost you more once they tear into your used transmission.

https://gearstar.com/transmissions/g...evel-1/59/c11/
swb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
TheRocket

I bought a rebuilt 700r4 from a company in Amarillo, Texas. It cost me between $1,000.00 and $1,200.00. I purchased several from him and can't remember the actual cost. That was with us pulling the old 3-speed, delivering it to him and pickup up the 700r4. He threw in a cable or two and some advice. My sons installed the new 350 motor and the 700r4. I had to buy a transmission crossmember and have the driveshaft cut down. Depending on your skills, the available tools and shop you have available and the down time you can expect, his price doesn't sound too bad.
TheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
FRCvette

Just had this done to my 70. Reputable local trans shop remove my 350 teans found a 700r4 core then rebuilt it with new TC and installed. Also shortened drive shaft for $2300.00

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
Droff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRCvette View Post
Just had this done to my 70. Reputable local trans shop remove my 350 teans found a 700r4 core then rebuilt it with new TC and installed. Also shortened drive shaft for $2300.00
Good to know.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

The 2300 cost is about right.it cost 1200 to rebuild one and 6 hours to dial it in to the shift patterns witch cost you another 1200.I've talked to trans guys that say they rather build the trans an have you go some where else to set it up.Its a time issue it takes so much time to set the trans up to shift at the MPH speed.it all depe3nds on what the customer wants.One wants a hard shift cus He wants to Blow ever one off the road some want it for towing.Some want it for fuel savings.Plus you guys that want them Need to take a Class on What not to do with a overdrive trans.

Some trans shops say never leave then in the overdrive unless your over 55 MPH when your coming up to a big hill take it out of overdrive Never let it lug going up a hill And never go up a big Hill or mountain towing anything always put it back in drive get it out of the O.If you don't like that Go spend the money for the 4L80E with the computer and do everything that i told you not to But One never LUG the motor going up the hill or mountain towing any thing or with a heavy load it tears up the trans and clutches
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
LEEVON

I have done a bunch of these, your trusted shop's prices are dead on. $500 installation is very fair if he is going to mess with R&R and set-up. There are a few tricks like cross member relocation, massaging cooling lines, shift linkage, dipstick location, etc. I'd let him do all that so he's on the hook for TV cable settings. This is not hard if you have the correct governor, and mild gearing, engine, torque converter etc but you can burn it up if you do it wrong. If you want to save the money and do it yourself then tow it over there for him to set up, or learn how to do it with a pressure gauge and don't expect a warranty.

The only things you missed on your parts list are TV cable bracket (does not have to be fancy or expensive), fluids, and speedometer gears, inspection cover and transmission cooler. Also lock-up wiring, depending on how he has the valve body and internal wiring done this can require some parts. Or it could be a single wire to switched 12v. If your radiator has a transmission cooler and lines present for the TH350 you can use those no problem, I like to plumb an additional cooler in-line on the return side also but it's not 100% necessary. If your radiator has no cooler plan for a new unit plus lines. So plan for another $100 or so plus the driveshaft which is usually shorten, new yoke, u-joints and balance approx $250. So your total installed budget should be around $2,450 to $2,650. Yeah, it adds up! And I'm considering no cost for fluid if he installs, if not add another $50.

Last edited by LEEVON; 01-31-2018 at 07:51 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Droff

At times it sounds like a doable swap at the house but then thinking about everything that needs done as well as down time and how quickly I don't work when it comes to the unknown....
$2K is more than I was expecting but at least it'll be done right.