The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2018, 01:54 AM   #1
Rufas

Another Turn Signal Problem - Solved

I'm trying to troubleshoot my turn signals on my 70 GMC. I have working 4 way flashers. I'm using a test light for my troubleshooting. I have power to the TS flasher just like the 4 way flasher. If I touch my test light to the non powered side of the 4 way flasher it will active. But doing the same to the TS flasher nothing happens. I've swapped the flashers, both work in the 4 way and neither work in the TS.

The right TS dash indicator stays on constantly. I've got diagrams but not sure of the functionality of the circuit. Both brown leads from the bulkhead connector have power. I have power on the brown lead going to the instrument cluster. I get nothing when using the test light on the TS harness at the steering column when activating the TS. I do have flashing on the dark blue and light blue at the steering column when the 4 ways are on. The steering column has been replaced, but the original steering column acted the same way. I think this would eliminate the turn signal switch.

Some more background. I running a single wire alternator and none of the wires for the voltage regulator or the blue and white wires that normally connect to the alternator are connected to the alternator. Neither of the wires with the 4 amp fuses for the amp gauge are connected.

It sound like a grounding issue, but I can't figure out the ground from the diagrams.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Eric
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI

Last edited by Rufas; 02-10-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Problem solved
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:46 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Another Turn Signal Problem

If all six of your lights work with the hazard switch then the wiring and lights are OK. Turn on your headlights and see if they all still work. If they do then it's not a grounding issue.

The purple wire in the column connector is the power wire from the turn signal flasher. It should have power at the connector when the key is on. if you put a 12 volt jumper on it the turn signals should work, but they won't flash. It should make each side light up when you select left or right turn though.

If you have power on the flasher on the input side but not on the output side then the fuse panel connector must be bad as long as the flasher is good. Try connecting the jumper on the output side of the flasher and see if the turn lights come on.

your alternator and the battery gauge have nothing to do with the turn signals.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:39 AM   #3
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
If all six of your lights work with the hazard switch then the wiring and lights are OK. Turn on your headlights and see if they all still work. If they do then it's not a grounding issue.

The purple wire in the column connector is the power wire from the turn signal flasher. It should have power at the connector when the key is on. if you put a 12 volt jumper on it the turn signals should work, but they won't flash. It should make each side light up when you select left or right turn though.

If you have power on the flasher on the input side but not on the output side then the fuse panel connector must be bad as long as the flasher is good. Try connecting the jumper on the output side of the flasher and see if the turn lights come on.

your alternator and the battery gauge have nothing to do with the turn signals.
I did as you suggested and the lights turn on. I think I know what is going on here. I have switched everything to LEDs. With the 4 way circuit there's enough current draw to make my electronic flasher work. But on the TS side there isn't enough current draw to trigger my electronic flasher.

Tomorrow I get another flasher and see if it fixes this problem. I'm pretty sure it will.

Thanks for your help.
Eric
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Old 02-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
Rufas

Re: Another Turn Signal Problem - Solved

Today I replaced my Painless electronic flasher with a Carquest electronic flasher, PN FC536. That almost FIXED the problem. I've replaced all lights with LEDs. I removed the LEDs that were in the front parking/turn signal housings and replaced those with the standard 1157 bulbs. Turn signals now work.

It appears that the Painless flasher worked when the full load of the 4 ways. But when used in the turn signals there is just not enough current draw. With the Carquest flasher still not enough current draw. But using the 1157 bulb was enough for the Carquest flasher to work.

I tried the Painless flasher with the 1157 bulbs and still didn't work.

I'm not going to use load resistors hanging off the TS socks. I'm fine keeping the 1157s installed. A much cleaner install.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Old 02-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
harpo231

try a "no load" flasher
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufas View Post
Today I replaced my Painless electronic flasher with a Carquest electronic flasher, PN FC536. That almost FIXED the problem. I've replaced all lights with LEDs. I removed the LEDs that were in the front parking/turn signal housings and replaced those with the standard 1157 bulbs. Turn signals now work.

It appears that the Painless flasher worked when the full load of the 4 ways. But when used in the turn signals there is just not enough current draw. With the Carquest flasher still not enough current draw. But using the 1157 bulb was enough for the Carquest flasher to work.

I tried the Painless flasher with the 1157 bulbs and still didn't work.

I'm not going to use load resistors hanging off the TS socks. I'm fine keeping the 1157s installed. A much cleaner install.
If I understand your post, you didn't replace the turn signal flasher, which is a different one.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
try a "no load" flasher
Never heard of that.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #8
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
If I understand your post, you didn't replace the turn signal flasher, which is a different one.
I replaced the Painless flasher with a Carquest flasher.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI