The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #26
72blu

Re: Which manual tranny did you choose for your LS swap?

No I didn't move the original crossmemeber at all but its likely that my motor mounts carried the motor forward further then original. The oil pan is stock and I had no fitment issues at all!
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #27
BaroneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I had a sm465 prior to the nv4500..I wanted to keep my 4.10 gears and needed the overdrive..my crossmember is at the rear of the trans..the adapter plates put the ls engine in the same place the smallblock was..love the nv..no problems with aa pressure plate or clutch..I looked into using gm parts to do it but I was having difficulty finding everything needed so I went with the adavance adapter kit. Got a bench seat and shifter clears it fine..headers are a nightmare if you've got a z-bar..I wound up using headers for a hummer and had to do a good bit of modifying to make them work..the problem was finding a set that dropped straight down on the drivers side and then turned back..there are headers out there that claim they'll work with a z-bar but don't be fooled..I think these are the adapter plates I used..http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Conversi...hT29bU&vxp=mtr
I would like to stick with mechanical linkage as well. Would you be willing to provide some more details on the header modifications required to accommodate a Z bar?
BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #28
BaroneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blu View Post
No I didn't move the original crossmember at all but its likely that my motor mounts carried the motor forward further then original. The oil pan is stock and I had no fitment issues at all!
Thanks. Did you have any Z bar interference issues? You run stock exhaust manifolds no headers, right?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #29
72blu

There was some z bar fabrication required but nothing super serious. I had to cut one the bars so that I was getting the propper amount of push on the clutch fork. I used stock LS3 2013 camaro manifolds and they fit nicely. if you go with headers I believe there is less fabrication required in order to make the Z bar work. I will try and get some pictures of how it looks tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #30
mongocanfly

Barone...I'm advising against trying to do it the way I did..if I was doing it over from scratch I would look long and hard at the hooker manifolds or similar factory manis...i think it would be easier to route a pipe around the zbar that trying to make a header that's not designed to fit it anyway to work..like I said before..lots of modifications were necessary...I did beef up my zbar while I had it out but only because it had a crack in the factory welds..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #31
BaroneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Barone...I'm advising against trying to do it the way I did..if I was doing it over from scratch I would look long and hard at the hooker manifolds or similar factory manis...i think it would be easier to route a pipe around the zbar that trying to make a header that's not designed to fit it anyway to work..like I said before..lots of modifications were necessary...I did beef up my zbar while I had it out but only because it had a crack in the factory welds..
Thanks mongocanfly. I do have factory manifolds, but prefer the look and sound of headers. Maybe it is just wiser to do to a hydraulic or cable setup.
Old Today, 01:43 AM   #32
americanmusc1e

Please respond with the details (including manufacturer) on what you used for:
1) Manual Transmission Type and Model NV3500 out of a C/K1500 (they have a different slip yoke in a S10 apparently). Started out with a 89 SM465. recently converted to nv3500

2) LS Engine Type and Motor Mount Adapters Used (did the motor need to be moved forward?) 2000 5.3. bone stock with headers and a CAI. Used ebay motor plates. I'm roughly 1" further back than the old sbc

3) Mechanical or Hydraulic Actuation? If Mechanical, what did you use for Z bar attachment to engine block? Hydraulic. hydraulic master from 89 C2500. SM465 used 89 C2500 hydraulic slave with custom bell housing adapter. NV3500 uses hydraulic throwout bearing from 99 C1500 with a fitting to adapt the clutch line to -3AN

4) Flywheel Type and Size The clutch and flywheel work with both transmissions. Factory 4.8/6.0 flywheel from amazon. dowel pins removed to fit the clutch (Sachs)
5) Clutch and Pressure Plate Type and Size 12" sachs "hd" clutch for 1970 C20 w/396. pressure plate holes slighly enlarged.

6) Bellhousing Type The SM465 used a mid-80s aluminum bell for a sm465. Nv3500 bell is integrated

7) Pilot and Throw-Out Bearing Types Chevrolet Performance Roller Pilot Bearings 12557583

8) Cross Member Type Factory Th350 Crossmember with the top frame mounts removed. factory th350 trans mount.

9) Any type of other critical parts needed (spacers ,etc?)

10) Year of your truck and did you have to modify any sheet metal? low hump cab and SM465 yes! high hump either fits no problem.

11) Level of difficulty from 1-10 (10 being most difficult) SM465 to nv3500 swap is much easier than doing oil pan gasket and rear main seal with the engine in the truck

Also, please include any other additional information you can add that might help another out when doing this. Anything you can think of no matter how small the detail! Pics would be great too.

Also, just your general feeling on how happy (or not) you were with the final outcome and if you would you do it again (or already did). Maybe even some comments on how you use the truck (daily driver or 1/4 mile, etc.). Much appreciated!! I'm never going back to SM465 unless i'm towing a house. I have 3.08 gears right now which makes it even worse.

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 4x4 parts are gone. 5.3/NV3500/12bolt w/3.08s
build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...17#post7368817
facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Skool/199905603376935
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 stakebed--inherited farm truck
THE BEAST----Dad's K20 Suburban project.

2008 WRX narrowbody 5spd w/bolt-ons (current best 13.19@103mph)- New Daily

Country boy doing IT work in a big city
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote