The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #1
RestoreAmerica

Lifter Noise Do additives work?

Just purchased a 2000 Yukon 5.3 Vortec with 157000 miles on it. Have not even picked it up yet. Previous owner bought for son but never drove it. Says it has lifter noise. Has anyone ever successfully used an additive to quiet lifter noise? If so what did you use.
Thanks!
RestoreAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:59 AM   #2
izzy_Britton

Re: Lifter Noise Do additives work?

I used marvel mystery oil once with good results for a short while. but i have decided that all the additives in the world wont FIX a problem, just conceal it for a little while.

its a 5.3. lifters are fairly simple to replace in the truck. not easy but not the most difficult thing in the world to do. I think i am going to have to do lifters on the Z-71 i recently purchased too. I feel your pain.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
69gmcc10

Re: Lifter Noise Do additives work?

I have. lifter noise is often caused by a varish build up in the lifer. I have used Marvel Mystery Oil, sea foam (1/2 can to existing oil), and a quart of ATF in place of a quart of oil. All work well, I feel the most important part of getting it unstuck is the combo of said products and heat cycles, take the truck on a few long drives and get it good and warm. I would drive the Marvel and the ATF (both high detergent oils) for 1-2k miles and change the oil back to normal. if that didn't work I would run 1/3 to 1/2 a can of sea foam in the oil for a few hundred miles and change the oil again. If that didn't fix it I would replace the lifter, and since its me I would change them all out, change the springs and get an angry cam for that engine...this is how my projects get out of hand (While I am at it I may as well insert awesomeness... )

Yes they can work, but all you are doing is cleaning out build up. If that doesn't work, you need to replace lifter.

To prevent gunk and build up in my truck, before every oil change I add 1/3 of a can of sea foam to the oil 100 miles before I change it with excellent results.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote