The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #26
dmjlambert

Re: Slow Crank when Hot

Yes, true if you have a plain wire supplying full 12V to the distributor, to replace the original resistor wire. What do both sides of your positive battery cable look like, and both sides of the negative battery cable? Can you post pictures? I misdiagnosed a starter problem because of a bad battery cable on my truck last year. Other people on the thread have talked about their headers, but didn't ask you if you have headers.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:05 AM   #27
71rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Good old heat soak...

1/ Wrap the headers in heat wrap tape at least a foot in front of the starter and six inches behind the starter. Make it a double wrap thickness and secure it with hose clamps or wire.
2/ Replace the primary starter cable with a #2 cable, making sure it has totally clean connection ends.
3/ Replace the ground cable between engine block and battery ground, again, make sure contact surfaces are really clean.
4/ Check and clean all other ground cables making sure all connections are really clean.
5/ Double check battery charge rate is at least 14.2 volts at the battery itself with the engine running around 1500 rpm.
6/ Check static timing and set at 8 degrees at idle,,,idle being 650 to 700 rpm.
7/ If above fails, replace starter with small format reduction gear style starter that also has a heat shield built into its design.

Above all...have FUN !!!!

Hmmm my battery grounds to the alternator body. Then I have one more (very old and beat up) ground from the valve cover to the body. I have no frame to fender grounds.

And thanks for the recommendations!
71rehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #28
CC69Rat

Does the truck have headers on it?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #29
71rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Does the truck have headers on it?
No headers.

Also noticed that the starter has a NAPA sticker on it. So assume its a reman and that is probably the culprit? In any case, just ordered 5 new ground straps.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #30
71rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Yes, true if you have a plain wire supplying full 12V to the distributor, to replace the original resistor wire. What do both sides of your positive battery cable look like, and both sides of the negative battery cable? Can you post pictures? I misdiagnosed a starter problem because of a bad battery cable on my truck last year. Other people on the thread have talked about their headers, but didn't ask you if you have headers.
Thanks. Cables are in great shape. Cleaned up the ends last night and still a tired starter after a drive.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #31
AussieinNC

Yep, not needed when HEI equipped...but make sure its not able to short out anywhere...tape off the end with electrical tape and secure it away from heat sources like headers etc.

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #32
AussieinNC

Would suggest you replace the starter with a small format reduction style unit...new...not reman...

Grab a heat shield for it while you are ordering it...

Even without headers, the exhaust pipe will likely be putting too much heat onto older fat style starter...

Also...make sure there is a starter end support strap fitted and correctly in place...

GM part number is GM 23502557...most wholesalers carry them...even Amazon...

I have witnessed so many engine block damage scenarios with bolt holes stripped or broken out due to missing brackets...

Old 02-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #33
71rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Would suggest you replace the starter with a small format reduction style unit...new...not reman...

Grab a heat shield for it while you are ordering it...

Even without headers, the exhaust pipe will likely be putting too much heat onto older fat style starter...

Also...make sure there is a starter end support strap fitted and correctly in place...

GM part number is GM 23502557...most wholesalers carry them...even Amazon...

I have witnessed so many engine block damage scenarios with bolt holes stripped or broken out due to missing brackets...

Something like this? http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...2/-1#reviewTab
Old 02-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #34
CC69Rat

Just a little different perspective on it. If the truck is cold, it has a good battery charge / New battery and you drive it for a while.. It's hot, obviously and you shut it off. This is when you experience the sluggish starts. .. If the truck is hot when you try to start it back up.

If the truck sits for a few hours and cools completely off, will it start back up normally? .. or are you saying at that point, even cold it won't start back up until you charge / replace the battery?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #35
AussieinNC

Yes Sir, that one will do fine...

on that Jegs page, also grab the heat wrap and the shim kit to correctly space pinion teeth from ring gear teeth.

Also...make sure you use the correct knurled shank bolts to attach the starter to the engine.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #36
dave`12

Here is a link to my fight with this issue. I tried everything - long story short, nothing fixed it until I got a high torque mini starter.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=729029
dave`12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #37
landarts
landarts

Had exactly the same problem you are having and did this to correct it. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363603
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #38
richards72chevy

My truck had the same issue ended up putting a thicker gasket in between the carb and manifold and the problem went away.This is a common problem just on the edelbrocks.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #39
Grumpy old man

Post a pic of your engine ,

Does it look like this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=509243

or this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=457938

It all makes a difference , next time you have a hard to crank issue use a set of jumper cables and hook them directly to the starter + post and a solid ground - next to the starter , get in turn the key and if it starts fine its your battery cables/ connections , If it still starts hard it's your starter is suffering heat sink . you can't ground your system to a valve cover . why jump to parts suppliers like jegs when anyone of your local auto parts stores carry exactly what you need just down the street ? personally I'd just go buy a new mini starter and a new set of good battery cables and be done with it ,

So many get hooked on setting up their 50 year old truck by the numbers the book say 8 degrees timing BUT it just may run better at 6 or 10 . these aren't computer driven systems . It's called tuning for a reason ...

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 02-18-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #40
franken

I'd put the big ground cable directly on the block, not the alternator bracket.
What exactly is the voltage across the battery with the engine off and running?
How many CCA is the battery rated at?
I'd also be looking at the positive and negative cables and make sure they're in good shape. Grumpy's suggestion with the jumper cables is good, but the wording is a little funny. Connect from the + battery terminal to the big cable connector on the starter, then crank. Similarly, connect to the - terminal and to the starter body, then crank.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #41
71rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Post a pic of your engine ,

Does it look like this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=509243

or this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=457938

It all makes a difference , next time you have a hard to crank issue use a set of jumper cables and hook them directly to the starter + post and a solid ground - next to the starter , get in turn the key and if it starts fine its your battery cables/ connections , If it still starts hard it's your starter is suffering heat sink . you can't ground your system to a valve cover . why jump to parts suppliers like jegs when anyone of your local auto parts stores carry exactly what you need just down the street ? personally I'd just go buy a new mini starter and a new set of good battery cables and be done with it ,

So many get hooked on setting up their 50 year old truck by the numbers the book say 8 degrees timing BUT it just may run better at 6 or 10 . these aren't computer driven systems . It's called tuning for a reason ...

1. Engine bay is dirty and original aside from HEI..

2. Battery cables are like new.

3. Starter is a reman from Napa.

4. After replacing all of the ground straps and adding some more, I still have the same issue. Easy crank when cold. SLow crank when warm. I will try the jumper cable test.

5. Your point on timing is noted. In the past, I've noticed when it is advanced too much it doesn't turn as freely.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #42
57Suburb

You've already had several tell you the same thing already, but I had exactly the same problem, went through all the same steps to make sure it wasn't something simple, and ended up purchasing and installing one of these. Starter from a 98 Tahoe. Problem solved.
Attached Images

57Suburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #43
71rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Suburb View Post
You've already had several tell you the same thing already, but I had exactly the same problem, went through all the same steps to make sure it wasn't something simple, and ended up purchasing and installing one of these. Starter from a 98 Tahoe. Problem solved.
thanks. ive seen at least a dozen starter recommendations from reman to mini to Corvette.