The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #26
rechinca

Re: OEM Plug wire stands/supports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
You may also have better luck coming up from the bottom!!! Get it started with your fingers as cross threading the threads would be a impossibile task to repair

I like studs in all the locations, just easier to hang the brackets and spark plug covers and then put a nut on, I'll post up a pic as soon as my camera is charged
Jaros do you remember what size on the studs for the rear supports? It’s going to be a few weeks before I get around to it just wanted to have the parts on hand ahead of time.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:33 AM   #27
rechinca

Iron I did see your comment about the air cleaner. Yes that looked like a bad idea! I changed it out soon after I took that photo when I first picked up the truck. I had taken it off as I had seen them in all their 80’s-90’s glory but never up close. What a go-fast looking pile of unsafe crap! It was totally clogged with dirt, WREAKED of gas fumes and had a couple of melt holes in the foam from some backfires...talk about begging for a burndown of your truck! Looks like half the boats we’d inspect on the water during safety checks.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #28
Ironhorse

Just checking with you, did you receive the email pics I sent of the assorted original SBC GM wire loom stands? Did not get a reply, had to send twice. First time came back to me as being unable to deliver? Sent it again, no return, so thinking it went thru okay?
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #29
rechinca

Iron no I didn’t. Just checked and I mistyped the email. I’ll resend the email address in a new PM
Old 02-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #30
S_Gibson

Weather was great this weekend so installed new plugs, wires and put on heat shields and all the correct retainers for the wires. Took longer than I though, but it is a job done right.

Since I'm resurrecting this thread form the dead let me first say Thank You to everyone that contributed to this thread. The information here was spot on for me to finally get the wires routed away from the exhaust a ties to the motor. Previously I had them zip tied to a heater hose and brake line to hold them away from the manifold. The previous own just let them hang and the boots and wires were causing it to miss terribly because of the holes burnt in them.

I used the rear, oil pan and front retainers as well as the heat shields from LMC. Since I have an HEI distributor I bought ACDelco wires and plugs for a 75 Corvette from Rockauto.

The Corvette wires turned out to be the perfect length. The plugs were gapped to .045. Took a little effort to get the wire to seat in the retainers, but I'm guessing since the original wires were less than 8MM for the HEI wires that may have been the reason.

Pushing the wires between the block and motor mount was a challenge. The number 1 and 3 wire I did from the bottom and it had more space making it easier, but the 2 and 4 wires took considerable effort. I ended up getting a dowel rod I had laying around and pushed the distributor end through from the top. That was much easier.

The one item I have not been able to find is the wire stands attached to the intake manifold (ex. FirstOwner69's photos). Not sure that I even need it, but I do not like the way the wires are next to the throttle rod. Any suggestions to what stands would be best for the HEI distributor and where to buy them? If found similar like the Amazon link below shows, but they are made to bolt at the valve covers not to the manifold.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Wire-Looms-...oom/B000COO1CM
Old 02-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #31
rechinca

Mine will be a little easier to install now, I have the radiator, water pump and exhaust manifolds off currently and this weekend I will be pulling the cheap aftermarket power brake booster to install the correct OEM one. Wile it’s out of the way I should be able to reach the back side on the LH side easier. Plus I have the heater box and both inner fenders out which gives a TON of extra access. Al of which allowed me to degrease the motor and repaint it in the truck.