The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2018, 01:38 AM   #1
vetnat

brake booster question

Hi, normally post over in 60-66 section. I have installed a booster from a 97 full size truck into my 1961. Pulled it off a truck at the junk yard. Chose this particular booster because master cylinder was already off, making my job easier. I have a weird question, I am wondering if anyone has removed/adjusted the booster push rod, and if so, how it is done. I have a sinking feeling that the push rod was actually missing off the one I grabbed, but since my truck originally had manual brakes, I had nothing to compare to. To be clear, I'm not talking about the rod that goes to the brake pedal, but the rod between the booster and the master cylinder. Of course, I already have the master cylinder installed and the lines filled and bled, but I am in the process of adapting the linkage to the brake pedal. I used a vacuum bleeder since I don't have the pedal hooked up yet. So, I am planning to go back to the junk yard after work tomorrow, and see if I can get just the booster push rod, in case my suspicions are correct, and mine is actually missing. I actually pulled this booster last summer, and would like to use it if at all possible, since I already have it installed , and I remember how unpleasant removing the nuts from inside the cab under the dash was. Yes, fools rush in. Has anybody done anything with the booster push rod? I found one video online, where the pushrod appeared to fall out when the guy was removing the master cylinder. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by vetnat; 09-13-2018 at 01:40 AM. Reason: clarity
vetnat is offline   Reply With Quote