The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
jmon1123

my new bonanza

Hey thanks for stopping by, finally got a squarebody, a 76 bonanza. Got it for $800 and drove it home. Needs some love but me and my buddies have been having a blast fixing her up. When I find out how, I’ll put up some pictures for anyone who’s curious. Very straight and little surface rust! I’d say it’s about 85% original, the one thing I need would have to be the interior trim peice for it. It’s got a scottsdale emblem right now but bringing it back to the original to make it match the outside fenders would top it off. If anyone knows where I can order one, please let me know. Thank you

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 10-19-2018 at 01:56 PM.
jmon1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
RedBed

Re: my new bonanza

Classic Parts, Classic Industries, LMC, etc etc.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #3
jocko

If your dash says Scottsdale and your fenders say Bonanza - I think you're good to go in a 76. The Bonanza "Package" is only available on a Scottsdale "trim level" truck. Most, if not all 76 Bonanzas I've seen had a Scottsdale dash emblem - so if yours looks original, it probably is. I have seen dedicated Bonanza dash emblems on 77 and above only.

Pictured below - three 76's, then a 77, then a 79.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 10-21-2018 at 12:03 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:29 AM   #4
LT7A

Well, I guess our OP hasn't checked back in. Hope he does. Wouldn't want him waiting on that repro dash badge only to find out he's replaced the original with it. Good info Jocko. Invaluable and detailed help. I'll say thanks just in case he doesn't make it back to do so.

My impression is that the Bonanza package was essentially an assemblage of Silverado-like parts that were offered in a package to nice-up a Scottsdale without going full Silverado. Maybe based on what was available surplus-wise? Is that somewhere close to the truth?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
OutlawDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Well, I guess our OP hasn't checked back in. Hope he does. Wouldn't want him waiting on that repro dash badge only to find out he's replaced the original with it. Good info Jocko. Invaluable and detailed help. I'll say thanks just in case he doesn't make it back to do so.

My impression is that the Bonanza package was essentially an assemblage of Silverado-like parts that were offered in a package to nice-up a Scottsdale without going full Silverado. Maybe based on what was available surplus-wise? Is that somewhere close to the truth?
I've always looked at it as a "Foreman's Pickup". Vinyl floor and nice bright work outside. I had also heard it was a way to get rid of extra units as the new year's models were coming in.

I had a 79 my dad bought new, it had the Scottsdale emblem on the dash. Vinyl floor, full Silverado trim, 350/350/NP203 and 3.42 gears. Had the HD front springs for a plow package. Wish I still had it! It was the most surefooted pickup I've ever owned, ice, snow, mud, didn't matter.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #6
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post

Bonanza was essentially a re-vamp of the 72 Special Promotional Packages (YG6,7,8), which included the famous 72-only plaid seats. These sort of things have traditionally been offered on trim levels that are just one above the basement... i.e. Custom Deluxe (one step up from the base "Custom" in 72), and Scottsdale in the squares (one step up from the base level "Custom Deluxe" once Scottsdale was introduced). So, you're right, it was a way of offering a buyer a nice group of upgrade options for a reasonable cost, just like the special promo packages did in 72. Bonanza, was also somewhat of a head nod to the Chevrolet-associated marketing in the popular Bonanza series, which stretched back into the 60s. Hoss would be proud! I've always liked the promotional and special edition stuff like the Highlanders, Bonanzas, mod bods, etc etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyKg7nzQFmo
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote