The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
vroomy

Caltracs?

Anyone here use caltracs arms? I know they mostly for drag racing but do they make any difference for street use? Also can you run only 2 leafs with caltracs for a softer ride or will the truck bottom out too easy?
vroomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #2
homemade87

Re: Caltracs?

I run caltracs on my 82 . I have 5 leaf set up ( stock ) . It eliminates any wheel hop . Of cource I have some pretty good power in the front of mine . I do also take it to the track when its time to play hard . But even on the street you will benefit . Stops the axle wrap which causes wheel hop when it breaks traction . Not good for the drive train at all . Could break something pretty easy . Yours being only 2 leafs your problem is going to be worse ( easier to wrap the axle . But they will help you on the street . Dont expect them to do wonders on a street tire if you have the power but they do help some . It will just be a smoother ride with no wheel hop under power .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
HAULIN' IT

Will try to help answer your questions, but you will have to pick through the info since I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "make a difference".

Cal-trac's & other similar devices when installed properly are "just along for the ride" anytime there is not sharp forces being applied from the rotation of the axle...simply as the axle rotates (pinion upward) as the tires start to rotate forward. The lever on the bottom bracket turns this motion into pushing. The push on the front pivot plate turns that motion into holding down on the spring where it will buckle up as power is applied.

So do they work on the street? The question then is? What are you trying to "fix"? If you have 400+ RWP, steep gears, hard as a rock tires, a light backend & slippery roads...are they going to make you not spin? I highly doubt it. If when you "put some boots to it" on the back road & you get wheel hop & shake from the spring wrapping up, then yes they should work fine. There is NO magic...simply levers & fulcrum

As to the question about the 2 leaves. I use 3 & if I put much weight in the bed without air in the helper bags, in goes to the snubbers REAL easy. I think 3 would be minimum. Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
vroomy

I run 3 leafs and its not too hard certainly wouldnt want any harder. But my rear feels like it wobbles alot especially going over small bumps, just curious if the caltracs make any difference in that area?
Old 05-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
HAULIN' IT

Nope! Under power...holds the front of the leaf spring from wrapping. That's it.
Not really sure about "wobbles"...maybe a shock situation if it does it going over bumps? Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
vroomy

Got brand new belltech shocks on there