The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
gordyzx9r

Dash pad that covers the entire dash?

So, we plan on doing a resto on the C10 once a couple of other projects finish up...but in the meantime I'd like to figure out something for the dash.

When we bought it, it came with a grey fabric glued to the glove box door and the entire dash (from the window to the leading edge).

I took the fabric off the glove box door and was happy to find that it cleaned up perfect and the paint on the glove box door was in excellent shape after a liberal helping of goo-b-gone.

But the dash...they put a blue painters tape down on the entire dash so they could adhere the backing and grey fiber sheet to the dash. And the paint is trashed...so, a stock dash pad isn't going to work. I want something that covers the entire dash from the leading edge to the window. Vents aren't an issue right now since someone apparently decided at some point that heat and defrosted windows are for wussies.

So, before I just go to an upholstery shop and ask them to make a cheap custom dash pad does anyone sell one? Not the stock kind, but one that covers the entire dash from window to leading edge.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
gordyzx9r

Re: Dash pad that covers the entire dash?

And while I'm at it...

The bed has a cargo door, what options are there to replace the lock assembly?

All the vendors laugh when I ask them about it...
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Grumpy old man

Just dashes had one that went all the way to the windshield with gauge pods built in .Call them and ask . They also restore any type or model of dash for just about any car or truck

http://www.justdashes.com/

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/dash-covers
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
Crappie Hog

Dashmat or Covercraft forgot which one I purchased from.
Attached Images

Crappie Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyzx9r View Post
And while I'm at it...

The bed has a cargo door, what options are there to replace the lock assembly?

All the vendors laugh when I ask them about it...
You’ll have to find that one on the Parts board here. It took me 6 months to find a nice one.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
tdangle

Not to hijack this thread, but the locks for the under bed tool box aren't available??? I was hoping to update mine, but it looks like I will just take the lock to a locksmith for cleanup and re-key

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
jocko

Toolbox door locks are available. LMC and others carry them. However, my first stop would be to member LockDoc and see about getting a key-matched set that includes the toolbox.

As for the dash, well, my answer will not be popular, but I'd take the time to fix the problem and not cover it up. There's just no way around it being goofy looking if you're doing a resto. Or, perhaps, rather than a full dash pad - how about a stock dash pad and some sort of thin veneer you can place in there in the correct color that at least looks correct? (it'd need speaker grille emulated somehow...) A dash cover, like Crappie Hog posted, is fine if this is what the final owner (is that you or are you building it for someone?) wants - I think it is preferable to something as semi-permanent as a stock-ish dash pad that just happens to stretch to the windshield.

I know I'm biased, but to me, unless you're going Custom all around (and you did say "restore") then non-stock cover up items usually end up being the things one wishes one had done fully/correctly in the first place when the project is done. I speak from experience in that regard... Ha
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:03 AM   #8
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Toolbox door locks are available. LMC and others carry them. However, my first stop would be to member LockDoc and see about getting a key-matched set that includes the toolbox.

As for the dash, well, my answer will not be popular, but I'd take the time to fix the problem and not cover it up. There's just no way around it being goofy looking if you're doing a resto. Or, perhaps, rather than a full dash pad - how about a stock dash pad and some sort of thin veneer you can place in there in the correct color that at least looks correct? (it'd need speaker grille emulated somehow...) A dash cover, like Crappie Hog posted, is fine if this is what the final owner (is that you or are you building it for someone?) wants - I think it is preferable to something as semi-permanent as a stock-ish dash pad that just happens to stretch to the windshield.

I know I'm biased, but to me, unless you're going Custom all around (and you did say "restore") then non-stock cover up items usually end up being the things one wishes one had done fully/correctly in the first place when the project is done. I speak from experience in that regard... Ha
Forgive me if I missed something but when searching for the tool box door lock I could not find one at any of the usual aftermarket suspects. Granted I needed the mounting hardware as well. Please post up a link if you can I’d love to get an extra for the future.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #9
gordyzx9r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Forgive me if I missed something but when searching for the tool box door lock I could not find one at any of the usual aftermarket suspects. Granted I needed the mounting hardware as well. Please post up a link if you can I’d love to get an extra for the future.
Ditto...I tried LMC and Manes and both told me I'd have better luck finding it at a swap meet.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
gordyzx9r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
As for the dash, well, my answer will not be popular, but I'd take the time to fix the problem and not cover it up...
Resto might not be the right word then, lol. The plan is to get the body work done, fill in the holes for the trim, move the gas tank to the frame/bed, lose the antenna mast and fill in the hole, etc. Have it repainted. Someone painted it a candy-apple years ago over the stock white. Redo the interior...spartan though, I don't need carpet and stuff. Until we do that, I just want to cover it up.

And continue to drive it for errands...I use it to run for parts and other stuff, I'm not looking for a show truck but I do want it to be presentable.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #11
jocko

Ah, ok, gotcha then, completely understand. I pictured a frame off resto with a patch panel in place of the dash beyond the pad ha.

Guys I’ll Look for a link when i get home. But if you’ve looked there recently, I must be mistaken. I know i went thru this with the toolbox for my custom camper but that was some time ago, gotta shake out the cob webs. Might pm LockDoc in the meantime, if anyone knows where to find one, he will.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyzx9r View Post
Ditto...I tried LMC and Manes and both told me I'd have better luck finding it at a swap meet.
I will see what I can come up with. It won't be until the first of the week though. Pizza and a movie tonight and we will be leaving first thing in the morning for a 2 day car cruise.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #13
Aus69c20

TMI do a dash pad that may suit.
http://www.tmiproducts.com/products/...-dash-pad.html

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #14
gordyzx9r

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I will see what I can come up with. It won't be until the first of the week though. Pizza and a movie tonight and we will be leaving first thing in the morning for a 2 day car cruise.....

LockDoc
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #15
Raleighswb

I have the tmi pad,bought mine from them.I think I saw that lmc carries the tmi line and it was cheaper than buying direct,go figure.
Attached Images

Raleighswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #16
'68OrangeSunshine

My '68 C/10 Stepside is factory 516 Orange, and the trim contrast was grey/Fawn. The original dash pad was a dark grey. That became brittle, and I flaked off the plastic chips until I got down to the bare foam. I had some saddle vinyl I was having my seat upholstered with and I wrapped that around the pad, securing it with 77 spray glue on both sides. I did this in the early '80s, before specialty vendors made parts for this series of trucks, and dash pads became available. Still holding up. You can see where I tucked the material in at the ends, but IDGAF. It matches the seat.
On another truck I put in a dash pad from Brothers, and had to send the first one back -- the threading on the stud was not chased properly and it wouldn't take a nut. They got me a fresh one w/o defects, but the OEM pad is a lot better fitting. (Still a b!tch on the ends though.)
The top deck of the dash is sheet metal, and I sanded it down, masked off the area below and the glass on the windshield and shot it with a couple of coats of flat black spraypaint to kill reflected glare. [I live in Southern Arizona.] Over the years I've had to touch up with more flat black spraypaint, but no big deal.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote