The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
56hotrodred

Auto body shop recommendations in Apache Junction/Mesa, Arizona area

Hey I accidentally posted one of these in the Projects and Builds forum but thought it should be in the general forum.

I am down in Arizona escaping the cold Canadian prairie winter and a guy I met here in the RV Park has a 72 chev pickup he wants to get painted while he is down here. He is escaping a Canadian Yukon winter!

Any local Arizona forum members recommend a good body shop in the neighbor hood?

Thanks in advance.

Barry
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #2
e015475

Re: Auto body shop recommendations in Apache Junction/Mesa, Arizona area

I'm in the Phoenix area, and there's not a simple answer to your question.

It all depends on what the owner's expectation is and the condition of the vehicle.

It the truck requires a lot of metal work and rust repair it is quite a different answer than if it just needs paint.

If the owner wants a $3000 paint job, the answer is quite different than if he's willing to spend $15,000. I imagine you could find someone to scuff it and shoot it with enamel for $1000 too, if that's what they want.

The only constant about paint jobs is the fact that people think it should cost a lot less than it actually does. This is only aggravated by the exchange rate, as the Canadian dollar doesn't go quite as far as it used to in the US.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
56hotrodred

Really very good points all!

It is indeed very complicated and at this point I do not know what his expectations are!

You don't have to tell us how far the Canadian dollar goes, or doesn't go, these days...

I am pretty sure he has thought about the exchange rate but he definitely is going to have way more options...period...down here than what he would have in the Yukon.

I will talk to him some more and try to get a clearer picture of what he wants.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:53 AM   #4
mr48chev

I'd say this is where the "how much you thinkin about spendin comes into play. That way E015457 or one of the others in the area can steer him in the right direction.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
e015475

A few years ago the Canadians helped support the revival of the housing market here after it'd crashed in 2008 and prices were low and the exchange rate favorable. A fair amount of realtors catered to the Canadian buyers. But not so much anymore, at least not that I've seen.

The classic car market here is kind of the same way. Was talking to a dealer a few months ago and he said the exchange rate was really a drag on the classic car market here.

I'll have to say though, Canadians make for nice neighbors and visitors in AZ
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
Indian113

I have found that Canadians are great people except when they make Fun of Our Kiddy Beer! What ever you do don't offer them a Lite Beer it is almost a Insult.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
56hotrodred

Ya we seriously thought about buying a house down here in 2009 or so but resisted, especially when talk of a new Capitol Gains tax for foreign buyers was circulating. We were actually looking at small acreages and there was some really good deals. Maybe if we spent more than 2 or 3 months and had a bit more cash in hand!

In hindsight it probably would have been a good financial move.

We pulled down a large 4 slide fifth wheel several years ago and leave it on a lot. Then when we do come we pull a small trailer with a side by side and play out on the desert. Many of our friends down here own Park Models but we are not sure if we will go that route.

It sure is nice to get away for some of our winter though and the last couple of years I have been bringing back a lot of parts for my 56. Even with the unfavourable exchange it is still well worth it.

Ya it is a real shame about American beer!!! Funny both your neighbours can make a good beer!!!
Old 01-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'd say this is where the "how much you thinkin about spendin comes into play. That way E015457 or one of the others in the area can steer him in the right direction.
I am going to talk to him some more about his expectations and budget!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #9
robroller

Unfortunately most of the canadians drive slow as hell that i see, of course most are elderly that move here instead of florida. But good point made on paint jobs you need to find out what kind of job he wants done, complete tear down or quicky looks good from 50 feet job.
robroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
I have found that Canadians are great people except when they make Fun of Our Kiddy Beer! What ever you do don't offer them a Lite Beer it is almost a Insult.
On this, I have to side with the Canadians. I too won’t stoop to drinking unleaded beer. No flavor, no body, and barely any hops.

I would rather drink one good ale or lager a day than the 15 bud lights my neighbor drinks. If “light beer” was all you could get, I’d quit drinking!
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote