The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #301
MacQuigley

Re: The Super Duper Haggis Hauler

Cheers guys. It's my youngest daughters 22nd birthday tomorrow as well. And my youngest son's 17th on Friday. He thinks he's getting the C10 when he passes his driving test. Fat chance. It will cost about £8000 for insurance.

Front are 18 x 7 fitted with 235/60. Rear are 18 x 8 with 265/60. The rears do fit but only just. I'll need to roll the lip of the fenders in a bit.

Off this week and trying to make progress on the truck. Getting there but it's slow going now.
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:00 AM   #302
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Happy Birthday Bill
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:20 AM   #303
MacQuigley

Cheers John. Just about to head out to the garage to doe yet more filling, sanding........
Old 09-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #304
MacQuigley

Best way to spend your birthday, in the garage.

So I managed to get the firewall just about complete. Noticed a couple of small bits that need a little work after spraying it but its close.

And started filling the inside of the passenger door following the repairs

Also spent a lot of time trying to get the drivers door to hang correctly. Nearly there I hope

Its really tight on that leading edge but it doesn't make contact - buy a whisker!
Old 09-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #305
MacQuigley

Well its taken most of the week but Ive finally got the door fitting reasonably well. Just filling it a bit to get it perfect.

Also got the firewall finished and in primer (well almost finished. I managed to get a run in the primer so that will need to be flattened and another coat applied)

And the insider of the passenger door is close to being sorted. Still a bit of sanding to do.

Sadly back to work next week but Ive still the weekend to get some more done.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #306
forestb

The fire wall always look so good in primer. It almost makes me wish I had not painted mine
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #307
MacQuigley

Can I take it from that I can expect less when I paint it???
Old 09-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #308
forestb

I sorry I don't know what you mean. I was only saying how much I like the way things look in primer. It was no reflection on your work. You should definitely paint it.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #309
ibrown50

Not been on here much recently so doing a bit of catching up. Looking good Bill your making great progress
Old 10-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #310
MacQuigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I sorry I don't know what you mean. I was only saying how much I like the way things look in primer. It was no reflection on your work. You should definitely paint it.
Sorry Forestb, I thought that like me your priming always looks better than your top coat. I always seem to screw things up when I start adding colour!
Old 10-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #311
MacQuigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrown50 View Post
Not been on here much recently so doing a bit of catching up. Looking good Bill your making great progress
Cheers Ian. I see your getting back into things as well.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #312
MacQuigley

Progress over the weekend was a little slow basically because of what I'm doing. However, the drivers door looks much better now. Still not finished but getting there.

The other door is now hung

And is a better initial fit than the drivers side but its very close at the bottom with little scope to raise it much

I'm thinking I may have to take it off open out the skin at the bottom and then trim the lip on the door bottom. This skin wasn't a very good fit in the first place.

As for the window frame it only needs a little tweaking at the top.

So I needed a brake form body work and decided to clear some space and fit the Wilwood Callipers now Ive got my wheels

One of the reasons for going with an open spoke wheel!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:12 AM   #313
MacQuigley

Question guy's how far out beyond the rocker should the bottom edge of the door be? Should it be flush or should it protrude a but?

I ask as Ive dropped a clanger with my drivers door. After filling it and getting it almost perfect I realised the lit that retains the door rubber is not uniform in its distance from the inside of the door and its far too close to the lower rear edge. The end result is when I it the door now protrudes not just beyond the rocker but the rear body as well.

To be fail its not necessarily a major issue in as much as I can sand down the door a bit and fill the body if necessary but it is again very tight at the bottom. I guess I can also bend the lip round the opening in a little at the bottom (I should say its all fine at to top above the level of the bottom of the window).

I'm also going to see if I can find a better rubber seal. The glue on original rubbers I bought are terrible. I tried a spare I have for a Land Rover and its much better but a but thick, compounding the above problem.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #314
65sub

Hi Bill. I think the bottom of the door should be flush with rocker. Or as close as you can get it. For the door seals check out this thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617703 for honda weatherstripping. I have them on my 65 and they fit perfect. You would have to add an extra piece for the knee knocker cab. Also I think Precision is now making better seals but I haven"t read anything about them
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #315
MacQuigley

Hi Dale, Thanks for the reply.

Not sure about knee knocker! Its my head I keep hitting off it when I'm working on the floor thinking Ive a great big opening above me.

Found a company over here that can sell me seals. They are sending some samples. May have to do a wee bit of work but I'll get there.

Bill
Old 10-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #316
MacQuigley

No photographs to update this week but there was some progress over the weekend. Most notably by dad and I spend Saturday stripping out the 454 from his Cobra getting the Cobra ready for the 509 and the 454 ready for the C10.

They are both BIG motors!

Sunday saw me back in the garage filling and sanding again. Also got some base coat on the heads for the motor.

I got some samples of door rubbers in on Saturday and I have one that should do the job but I will need to work the retaining lip round the frame a bit at the bottom of the rear pillar. If not that I will need to change the size of the rubber about the position if the door lock. Not sure that will look great but it will at least work. I'll work the lip a bit first.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:28 AM   #317
MacQuigley

Not posted an update in a few days. I'm guessing you goys are as sick of reading about filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding..... as I am of doing it, but at the weekend I had the chance to go and collect the engine from my dad and although only temporarily, I was able to set it into the frame.

The good news is it looks like I can use the engine mounts that came with the truck rather than the crappy POL perches I bought that don't fit and although I don't have the heads yet (my dad wants to take the springs off his ali heads and put them straight onto the steel heads that will be fitted to my engine) I was able to very roughly hold up the headers and subject to final positioning of the engine it does look like I should have enough clearance for them.

So the engine is now in the workshop getting ready for a little work and some paint. Sadly its back to filling, sanding, filling, sanding............
Old 10-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #318
ibrown50

Great progress Bill, it will be a killer truck with 454! What box are you going to use?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #319
MacQuigley

Thanks Ian.

I'm going manual even though I do have a TH400 for it. Got the chance to fit a BW T10 4 speed and I thought better to swap from auto to manual at this point than after its all built up. I can go manual to auto later if I really wanted as it should be an easier swap, but I'm not sure I'll do that.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #320
Chevy Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuigley View Post
Thanks Ian.

I'm going manual even though I do have a TH400 for it. Got the chance to fit a BW T10 4 speed and I thought better to swap from auto to manual at this point than after its all built up. I can go manual to auto later if I really wanted as it should be an easier swap, but I'm not sure I'll do that.

Love mine being manual means you can give it some extra beans when they think that's a slow old thing lol that's if it's not wet of course,
Then it might stick to the road lol
Chevy Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #321
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Nice build.
Subscribed

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #322
MacQuigley

Appreciate that.

Can wait to have it on the road!
Old 10-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #323
MacQuigley

Well that's the heads back with springs and rockers fitted

Just draining the last of the oil out the engine before masking and painting it. Going to paint the inlet manifold black but its needing a really good clean and I'm wondering if it would be OK to give it a blast with the sand blaster. That would give a good surface to key the paint to.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:25 AM   #324
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That looks to be a factory aluminum rectangle port intake manifold that has been polished. Personally I would blast it and leave it. But if you wish to paint it, yes blasting would be the best way to produce a surface for the paint to adhere to. Just be sure to blow out all the bolt holes, nooks and crannys with compressed air to remove all of the abrasive. Don't want any of that inside the engine.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:25 AM   #325
MacQuigley

I think I'll mask off some of the nooks and crannys John just to try and keep out the sand. I definitely don't want any of that inside the engine.

I do have a second manifold which only has a single chamber beneath the carb. I had been told the double chamber is better but this is a bit outside my current experience.