The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
thedudeabides86

Advice on split rims

Hey everybody.

I need a little advice. I've got 6 split rims for my 72 C20 and I'm hoping to get off them and onto steelies with some new 235/85/16's. The reason I have 6 rims is because the tread pattern on the back is heavier and the spares are 1 tire for the front, 1 for the back, hence the six rims. Would anyone want to keep all six split rims for future use for any reason or would you just scrap them? No one works on split rims frequently anymore, unless they have a cage? Is it worth holding onto them if you get onto some steelies? I'd love to hear some advice. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Re: Advice on split rims

Most people I know scrap them....

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I got rid of mine a looooong time ago. You *might* find a purist who wants 'em, but otherwise I would scrap them.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #4
70cst

I agree to scrap them.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:18 PM   #5
truckster

Since you're a premium member, you could post them on the parts board and see if anyone wants them. The only reason I could imagine is if someone was building a 100% pure restoration...
Old 10-20-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
weim55

I say not so fast on ruling out the split rims completely. That was my first thought on the split rims on my 1950 3600 three-quarter ton. I found it was impossible to find a one piece wheel that would accept the stock hubcaps and were eight lug. I refused to put an aftermarket wheel on such an original truck so I searched high and low until I found A set of stock size ( tall and narrow) 15 inch radials to use on the stock wheels. Restored the original wheels and mounted the tires myself. I love the original look. It was very time consuming to go through all the hoops but very worth it I think. Yes, There are some downsides, you must run tubes and liners. If you ever have a flat you have to break down the tire to repair or replace the tube. Balancing can be a *****. It wasn’t a concern on my 50 because the truck only sees 55 miles an hour tops.

I haven’t decided if I want to replace the split rims on my 69C 20. That truck will be a work horse driver. I love the original look of the restored wheel on my 50 and think the same treatment would be great on the 69. You NEVER see restored original splits on these trucks ever........

The bad rap for split rims being dangerous is just silly. They are like anything else with proper inspection and education on how to properly mount and dismount they are easy to work with. Any good commercial industrial truck tire outlet will still do split rims.

Steve weim55 Colorado
Attached Images

Last edited by weim55; 10-21-2019 at 09:08 AM.
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I always try to find a home for good original parts. Scrapping is foolish. I know some people can't be having anything unused laying around. I know free space can be a rare commodity. I don't have that problem so I 'preserve' what I remove for the one who will need that part. There's plenty of junk products out there failing everyday to feed the scrap machine.

People scrap 250s, 3spds, manual steering boxes, HO52s, 12-bolts, stock spindles, drum brakes, doors with rust in the corner, cracked steering wheels, and on and on. Some things people have been tossing for years are now sought after parts worth good money. Some people do stock restorations.

At Carlisle a couple weeks ago my friend I set up with brought a complete 3spd set up. I looked at a complete 3spd column I had in the shed, thought "Who would want this?", then figured it isn't getting gone sitting in the shed and brought it along. When I saw the 3spd set up I figured just toss the column in to sweeten the deal. So a guy came up and bought it all. I asked for $20. Not much money but I knew he'd take it. I got more than at the scrap yard and a guy got just what he needed. If he didn't want to pay $20 I would have given it to him. I just like to see parts used rather than wasted

My same friend posted some OEM C/30 dual rear split rims on FB Marketplace for cheap to get rid of them. All he gets are all these safety scouts harping on how dangerous they are like he's a criminal for even trying to sell them. Gotta love FB. Well, next thing you know he's posting "SOLD" because some local guy had been looking for just those wheels for his restoration.

That's two examples right there in the last month that I know of where parts that are typically scrapped found a new home and will live on keeping one of these old trucks going. Just because you don't want something doesn't mean someone else won't

And most people harping on how dangerous these wheels are only know what they have heard. They have no idea what is involved, don't know the difference between split rim and locking ring wheels, and they don't know if you know what you are doing these wheels are not unsafe to deal with

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
2 Stovebolts

I got a real education on split rims...when I had the same dilemma buying tires for my C30.... Long story short... I was unable to find budd type wheels that were lug or hub centric that would be tubeless,,,I bought 1/2 dozen of 'Test' wheels with no success.. So I had no choice but to use the original split rim w/tubes.....Now the typical 'split rim' is not really the 'Widow Maker' that is a 3 piece wheel where you really need the cage....The secret is finding a commercial heavy duty tire dealer that does tractor trailer & farm tractor tires. which I had one locally...I took my wheels there, bought the tires from them 'Uniroyal Commercial' USA....they dismounted the old tires, sent the wheels out to be sandblasted & powder coated & mounted the new tires on the split rim by hand on the floor no cage.....You gotta know what your doing & they did.....Chain store tire dealers (the home depot of tire stores) do not have the knowledge, experience or personnel to do truck or commercial vehicles...They can barely do car tires....My new tires on my C30 will outlast me.....I recently bought a 67 K20 where the PO removed the original split rims & installed A/M wheels, as he said no one would even attempt to change the tires....So he bought the A/M wheels from the chain store & they discarded the original wheels....Now I'm left with the burden to find the correct wheels for my truck & get rid of the circus wheels that are on it.....Good thing they didn't carve out the dash for an A/M radio!....KEEP THE ORIGINAL WHEELS - whether you use them or not.....
2 Stovebolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I always try to find a home for good original parts..... I know free space can be a rare commodity..... I don't have that problem.....
Agreed, and you're lucky to have the space. Unfortunately I do not, but I have held onto my original outside mirrors, front bumper, front springs, and a handful of small parts. I am too far away from any swap meets and big heavy items are generally too expensive to ship. I gave my split rims (OK, locking ring wheels) to a guy here in town.

Quote:
And most people harping on how dangerous these wheels are only know what they have heard. They have no idea what is involved, don't know the difference between split rim and locking ring wheels, and they don't know if you know what you are doing these wheels are not unsafe to deal with
Yep. The problem is finding a shop that will work on them. As noted above, truck tire shops don't have a problem.

Years ago I posted about getting a new set of 7.50-16 traction tires for my K20. One of them could not be balanced. The guy broke it down and found he had left the new liner folded inside the tire. He thanked me for my business and asked me to never come back as long as I owned those wheels.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
preciador6

I have a set of 15" split rims if someone's looking.
Attached Images

preciador6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:07 PM   #11
Seanext

I started out my career working for Coca-Cola as a mechanic in the 70's. Being the junior mechanic in the shop, I had to run the tire truck in the mornings. At that time all the delevery trucks had split rims. Changing a tire on the side of the interstate was alway a sphincter tighening event. Split rims can be very dangreous if not handled correctly. But with that being said, if you are careful and follow the safety rules they are fine. Doing roadside changes we did not have a cage available. So we would wrap a chain around the tire and rim so that if it did not hold the chain would keep the ring from flying off. I never had one come loose not saying that I am that good just very careful.
Seanext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:29 PM   #12
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

I scrapped mine after buying a one piece set from a board member. They can be considered dangerous after becoming old and rusty.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #13
71gmcC15

Split rims are like the gas tank behinde the seat argument. It bean there for 50 year and hasn't had a problem. Like 16th gauge sheet metal will save you when and if it explodes.
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #14
68Gold/white

I worked for a truck dealer, parts manger for 14 years. We sold a truck, went to North Carolina.

DOT regulations state that split rims MUST be deflated before dismounting, and inflated on vehicle, fully installed......

This truck was being worked on, months later. The mechanic was taking a front tire/wheel off. The ring came off, struck the mechanic and killed him....obviously the tire had NOT been deflated...My former company was in litigation over this deal for like 3 years.

Split ring wheels might be able to be used safely, no way in HELL I'd use them, or work on them.
I also vote to scrap them, to keep someone else from being hurt, or worse!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:11 AM   #15
factorystock

Reading this thread, I knew it would spiral out of control again. Again we start to generalize with no specifics. " A truck " or " split rim" I used to do the same discussing the type of wheel. But, I learned since then. C 20's came with 2 piece wheels, a lock ring and a wheel, a design that has never been recalled and used successfully for millions of miles. Changing them out requires a skill set, just like jumping batteries requires a skill set. Problems could arise if parts are damaged or rings are missed matched from other rims. 1 1/2 ton - 2 ton trucks back in the 50's thru 70's came with the notorious " split rim " a design where 2 piece wheel connects together in the center. This design wheel was bad and was responsible for almost all mishaps. Back to the C 20 wheels, some people don't mind the extra cost and expense to deal with them because the like the look and want to preserve history. Swap meets or local ads would be the best place to sell them since shipping costs usually kill the deal.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #16
72c20customcamper

I'm keeping mine on my 68 . I see everyone talking about 16 inchers on their trucks. Mine look a lot different and they are 17 inch. I think it looks right on the truck. Had to put the truck on hold . Blew up my chevelle engine so that takes priority
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote