The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #176
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Re: Driver on a budget.

What year Escalade is the gauge cluster from? Are the gauges controlled by the ECU or separately?

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #177
TchncnDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
The truck turned out really nice.
I'm very interested in the 5.3L Vortec swap because I'm getting ready to do the same thing to my truck.
What did you do about engine perches/mounts and did you use the stock exhaust manifolds, also did you have any clearance problems with the frame and if so what did you do to resolve it?
I bought the CPP LS tubular perches with 3" forward adapter kit, I haven't tried to stab the 5.3L Vortec into the truck yet but I'm hoping there wont be any issues.
I assume by 3" forward you mean it moves the mount forward which would move the engine back. That is the same setup I have and it leaves the engine very close to the stock smallblock location. I used the stock Suburban manifolds and had to make a small notch in the frame to get them to clear. The driver side is very tight and will hit sometimes under acceleration so I plan to trim 1/4" from the top rail one of these days. This is a very easy swap that I highly recommend and definitely get the overdrive tranny to go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwright View Post
What year Escalade is the gauge cluster from? Are the gauges controlled by the ECU or separately?
This cluster is from an 02. The oil pressure and fuel level are supplied by sending units and everything else is from the ECU. Turn signals are also wired separate and you get a nice check engine light. I'm sure you can use the cluster from 99-06, but the oil switch is different between 99-02 and 03-06. Get the switch to match the cluster and all will work, the later years may still work but I have not researched.
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #178
TchncnDen

I sold my 4x4 on Saturday making the 71 my only vehicle, now we have a foot of snow predicted for tomorrow. Should be interesting.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #179
TchncnDen

1000 words
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #180
ta2ed

Damn the bad luck, how much snow did y'all get? 80° here today!
Posted via Mobile Device
ta2ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #181
TchncnDen

We didn't get nearly as much snow as they predicted so it wasn't too bad. I like that picture though.

I wasn't going to keep posting after I turned my truck into a daily, but I made possibly the best mod after fuel injection today. Last week I cut the metal part of the bump stops off so I wouldn't bottom and did the caster mod. It rode better but still drove like a 40 year old truck with worn out steering. Today I put on a remanufactured steering box from a 73, new pitman arm and rebuilt the rag joint. Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow! It drives like a sports car now. Don't even think about putting the original box back on your truck.

DO use a rebuilt box from 73 up. Better ratio, fresh and only 125 from most parts stores.
DO rebuild the rag joint. Cheap and easy
DO replace the pitman arm. Yours is 40 years old and new ones are cheap.
DO the caster mod. You probably have the arms torn off anyway.

I can't say what made the biggest difference, but together they are HUGE!!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #182
TchncnDen

I finally got my ac hooked up and working today. After some ridiculous quotes from ac shops along with many, "it can't be done," responses I did some reading, bought a pump and gauges, had some hoses made and easy peasy - it's done. The problem I'm having is the hot side is very hot and mixes too much with the cold side.

Can someone with a factory airbox that is removed from the truck please post a picture of the hot/cold diverter and how it works?