The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2019, 11:57 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Registration

I was out at my aunt, and uncle's today to visit. They got a 73+ snub nose box truck for storage on there property. They have a couple acres in the high desert, and they can move it around the property if needed.

Well quite a few years ago I saw a 72 snub nose turned into a hot rod of sorts with a 10 foot custom flat bed. Well one day I would like to build my own for heavy hauling, and Home Depot runs.

How is the registration/insurance on these trucks? I know the mpg is going to suck, but I don't want $200 insurance just to put around town with it.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Pvmt-Pndr

Re: Registration

It's going to be different for everyone. How old are you, good driving record, full coverage, where you live etc etc. The best thing you can do is get a vin from a truck as close to one that you see yourself buying and calling your insurance company.
For me with my 69 C60 it's just under $120 for basic, just enough to be on the road a month... others are like that for the whole year. I also live in Michigan where rates are astronomical anyways.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
Airdirect

Insurance is relative cheap, check into collector car insurance. Depending on your state, you may have multiple options for license. In Texas mine is licensed as a Antique Truck. You cannot use the Antique as a daily driver, but you are allowed to exercise it, drive it for maintenance, and exhibition.
Airdirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Do you use it as a work truck for your business or for personal needs.

As bad as california is insurance is decent compared to many places.

I have heard you can de-rate trucks to lower insurance/registration, but have never done it before. Guys have converted 3/4 to 1/2 tons to save, but when I looked in to it. It was not that much, but maybe 2 ton to 1 ton could be worth it.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
Airdirect

I use it to haul my tractor collection (hobby) to shows.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=721374
Airdirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
Bimus

All states being different
I first went with a company I was using at the time for my regular stuff and when I got vehicle card and the limit was 10.000 pounds my truck was over 22.000 pounds the agent said I was good I was planning to add trailers and wanted to be covered for the weight what the agent said over the phone I did not trust.
I ended up with Progressive commercial with two trucks two trailers and good for 80,000 pounds in writing for right at $90 a month
Bimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #7
Pvmt-Pndr

Like Airdirect I also have the option to plate it as a historic vehicle but am limited to only being able to drive it basically to and from car shows and I think it was July or August of unlimited miles. Only one month a year. Since I plan to hook a trailer to it and drive all around that was out of the question. If I recall correctly to register it for 5 years was around $100. My insurance company didn't give me an exact number but said it would be "dirt cheap, compared to basic insurance".
Old 07-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

Thanks,

They bought it for the box since it was stupid cheap. If they have it in a couple years I may try to pick it up. I have to get my Willy's and Camaro on the road here soon first.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #9
txagincali

Since you're in Cali, just be sure that when you go to get it registered, that you have it weighed in its most stripped down form (Ie no box, frame cut down, running on fumes, etc) so when you get it weighed and pay the weight fees, its manageable and not outrageous (over 7k lbs or so).
1972 GMC K5 Blazer 4x4 (sporadically being worked on, accumulating parts)
txagincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
Pvmt-Pndr

8k pounds here. I'd definitely look at your local laws. That's the difference between $71 a year or over $1000 here anyways.