The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2018, 02:54 AM   #1
Orig AZ Burb

Newbie Looking for some guidance :-)

Hello fellow Burb owners,
I just purchased a 1972 Chevrolet C-10 Burb and was looking for some feedback and advice if anyone is able to assist it would be greatly appreciated.

My Burb was purchased new in Phoenix, Arizona and I am the third owner.It was stored in a garage up until about 8 years ago when it was then transferred outside once the prior owner passed. It has all original copper metallic paint that now has a patina from the AZ sun but I think it looks awesome being all original so I would like to preserve it by either waking it or clear coating the old paint. I have to recover the front seat due to the sun cracking the original parchment seat.

I am not wanting to invest a ton of money in my new rig as it is an extremely bare bones, low option truck. I was just going to cruise it for a while and see how it goes. I dont seem to keep my stuff all that long with the exception of my 33 Ford 3W coupes LOL. It has the 250 6cyl i think. It was originally a three speed on the colum but when the oriignal owner purchased a larger travel trailer in 1973 he converted the truck to a 4 speed on the floor with granny low. The original owner did not order any of the rear seats, front bench only. The only options that I can tell appear to be the soft ray tinted glass, a cigarette lighter, dome light, and heavy duty front of and rear springs. So so so few options.

One of my questions is to see if you guys feel that investing much in the truck is a losing proposition since most people would want a V8 of LS swap etc. I originally got it with the intentions of an LS swap however, it is so original and basic that I dont have the heart to do that. I feel like there are fewer and fewer basic original trucks left as they are always pretty modified from what I have seen. I really like how “Anolog” for lack of a better word that this truck is, when I drive it, it feels like a total escape/decompression time as it is so basic, that part is pretty cool, I enjoy it.

I have seen guys modify the rear cargo area with the truck style bed rails and chrome strips and I really think that look is really sharp, do you guys think that would add any value to the truck or would I be better off just leaving it alone.

Thx,
Steve
Orig AZ Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:57 AM   #2
BozBrosRods&Mods

Re: Newbie Looking for some guidance :-)

In my opinion ....its up to you ....in the end its still a classic...anything you do to improve the rig is a good thing with the exception of hacking it up. Truly one of a kind rigs are extreamly rare and sounds like yours is basic and not one in a hundred so have fun and express yourself. You may suprise yourself. That is the beauty of being a truck owner we dont have to worry about it being an SS or an RS or a super bird or some other ticket definition......Just my opinion....
sorry for my spelling....
BozBrosRods&Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
Orig AZ Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozBrosRods&Mods View Post
In my opinion ....its up to you ....in the end its still a classic...anything you do to improve the rig is a good thing with the exception of hacking it up. Truly one of a kind rigs are extreamly rare and sounds like yours is basic and not one in a hundred so have fun and express yourself. You may suprise yourself. That is the beauty of being a truck owner we dont have to worry about it being an SS or an RS or a super bird or some other ticket definition......Just my opinion....
sorry for my spelling....
Thank you very much for your response! I agree with you in regards to expression and putting your own individual touch on it. All I was thinking of was doing a wood three spoke deluxe style steering wheel since my wheel is shot from the AZ sun, doing the front seat, I was really liking the thought of doing the pickup bed style wood and rails in the cargo area (but I don’t want to devalue the rig), and then maybe some different style 16 inch tires. I am not opposed to leaving the stock ones with the dog dish hupcaps on there. I added beauty rings do they look nice as is, I just need new tires. So other than that I was wanting to keep it as stock and original as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Orig AZ Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
LuckyScott

Re: Newbie Looking for some guidance :-)

I have had my 72 suburban for over 25 years and love it. Don't worry so much about value, as they always go up. If you like the six cylinder you can always rebuild it and add some performance products from Clifford research to hop it up.
Or swap in a LS and a 700R trans, its all up to you.
I left mine original because it just ran so nice. 350 engine with a 350 trans. It has about 233,000 miles and the motor has never been out of the truck.
For a long time it looked a little rough, but now is painted and has a nice three seat interior.
Its your truck, do whatever you like.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote