The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #51
cyclefreak207

Re: New member from DFW, first truck build not starting where I thought!

I have learned, that a hot bath can be your best friend in times of body pain!

That and some advil and your choice of alcohol :p

I don't always downshift when I want to change lanes... But when I do, I make sure it's next to a prius so they know I'm hurting the environment!
cyclefreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #52
77ChevySharkBite

Oh yeah, I won't argue with you there man.

Haha, I don't worry about the advil, I just worry about the alcohol I'm very stubborn that I can be in the worse pain and I won't take medicine, unless I feel like I'm dying

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #53
cyclefreak207

It soothes the pain! you just can't ever tell anyone else you did it! or then they'll start thinkin you shave your legs or some other ****! hahah

I don't always downshift when I want to change lanes... But when I do, I make sure it's next to a prius so they know I'm hurting the environment!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #54
77ChevySharkBite

Yeah it's definitely that stays on the down low no doubt about that man. Then if they do find out you have to take a bigger risk to make them believe you haven't lost your balls. vicious cycle in the man world.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #55
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Yeah it's definitely that stays on the down low no doubt about that man. Then if they do find out you have to take a bigger risk to make them believe you haven't lost your balls. vicious cycle in the man world.
Damn right! and that can be detrimental to your health.

^how ever you spell it :p

Old 06-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #56
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclefreak207 View Post
Damn right! and that can be detrimental to your health.

^how ever you spell it :p
Yeah, I remember when I was younger more in my teens I was concerned about it, but once I hit about junior year I was like screw it who cares, I'm not going ti kill myself trying to make sure guys know I still have my balls.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #57
cyclefreak207

It's easier to just whip em out so they know you got em!! :P HAHAHA

Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #58
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

sexy ass eg!!!!! I had a friend (girl) that had a type r turbo powerd eg hatch...first time I ever road in a turbo car an I almost needed new underwear! lol
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #59
bigwheel15

Looks like a solid start on a fun project. And at least you get the motor work out of the way first lol.
bigwheel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #60
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
sexy ass eg!!!!! I had a friend (girl) that had a type r turbo powerd eg hatch...first time I ever road in a turbo car an I almost needed new underwear! lol
Did she build it!? First turbo setup I built, I realized it's more work than most people think or originally anticipate. I miss my turbo Si, it was a 00 shell, electron blue that I got for free from a good friend of mine, poor mans type R, GSP 57 trim turbo, lot of time/money went in it... and then I sold it and bought my foxbody... Should have kept it, but such is life.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #61
cyclefreak207

Well, motor is back in the truck, running now! Muchhhh stronger.

So we pulled the motor, cleaned all the rust/stop leak out, stripped it down, rebuild the heads with new seats springs etc. lapped valves. Put the bearings in the block put the crank in, went to put the new rings on the pistons... and pictured below is the broken piston that 'crumbled' in my hand when I picked it up...
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #62
cyclefreak207

So after the head work, and ridge reeming the cylinders, and then honing... found this ****... Back to square one. Order pistons online? or find another motor... hmm....

Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #63
cyclefreak207

Attached Images

Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #64
77ChevySharkBite

Well your probably going to end up replacing all the pistons right? Well I know that isn't exactly cheap. So I would say heck man try to find a good deal on a newer motor or go buy a crate motor from Jegs or Summit, or some place similar to it.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #65
cyclefreak207

So now it's order piston kit, wait. or find another motor... Got on facebook with a quickness and posted looking for another 305. Within 10 minutes I had a message from an old friend in irving saying he'd bring me a whole motor for $200.

Rock. Hard place.

so I bit the bullet and threw down the 2 bills and we immediately tore it apart. It was a fuel injected 305 from a 92 RS camaro though, So we had to do a little wallowing on the intake mani bolts to make the holley manifold fit, but everything else was straight on it. So we repeated the process.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #66
cyclefreak207

Only problems we ran into (besides manifold) was flywheel and starter. So overall, pretty satisfied with the build.

Ended up having to spend more than I wanted, but it runs damn good. Now I'll focus on the drop, thinkin 6/8 overall, and then paint.

and since my motor is green:
Paint it either GLOSSSSSSY black, or FLATTTTT black, and put one green pinstripe down the body line. Maybe run a grill that has the bowtie still and do that green?
Shave my tailgate of the GMC embossing? or just swap tailgates.

thoughts?

Old 06-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #67
cyclefreak207

And thought I'd take a break to show a quick picture i took of the 'HARDLY' we built last year. 1986 CB600, CHOPPPPPPPED up, with a 04 GSXR 750 motor, with GSXR 1000 hot cams. it was a completely stock non running bike when we got it. took about 4-5 months.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #68
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Only problems we ran into (besides manifold) was flywheel and starter. So overall, pretty satisfied with the build.

Ended up having to spend more than I wanted, but it runs damn good. Now I'll focus on the drop, thinkin 6/8 overall, and then paint.

and since my motor is green:
Paint it either GLOSSSSSSY black, or FLATTTTT black, and put one green pinstripe down the body line. Maybe run a grill that has the bowtie still and do that green?
Shave my tailgate of the GMC embossing? or just swap tailgates.

thoughts?
As far as paint I've heard if you do a flat black and accidentally get oil on it, it wont come of so I've been suggested to do a semi gloss black to help prevent that. I like the idea of doing the green bowtie, and do like pinstripe green as well.

As far as tailgates I would say just swap them. Unless your set on using your tail gate then just go for it!

Quote:
And thought I'd take a break to show a quick picture i took of the 'HARDLY' we built last year. 1986 CB600, CHOPPPPPPPED up, with a 04 GSXR 750 motor, with GSXR 1000 hot cams. it was a completely stock non running bike when we got it. took about 4-5 months.
That bike looks siiiiick!!!!!!!!!!!! Is it just a cruiser or what's it purpose?

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #69
cyclefreak207

good point on the flat, probably a Semi gloss then. my (rattle can) flat black is all nasty now from getting oil/coolant/tranny fluid on it from all the work that it's undergone in the last week or so.

And the bike was just a for fun thing lol. an old man had that bike in his garage foreverrrrr, and told my brother if we wanted it come and get it. So we chopped the frame up real nice and had the gixxer motor layin in the garage so we decided to use that :p

I've got a +13 sprocket in the rear on my stuntbike, so my acceleration is stupid quick, and we left the gas station I took off to like 80mph and he flew by me doing probably 120...

My stuntpiece weighs probably 300-400 lbs. and I think we figured the bobber weighed in at like 280-300. With 150cc's more. but it's just a cruiser.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #70
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

her ex bf built it...he builds some good motors... an I bet it ran good!!!! I got a chance to get an eg coupe for a grand but dnt knw if I want to
Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #71
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

did u see the pics of my truck wotht he drop?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #72
cyclefreak207

Quote:
her ex bf built it...he builds some good motors... an I bet it ran good!!!! I got a chance to get an eg coupe for a grand but dnt knw if I want to
Shell or running? or Non running w/motor? any mods?
You can build those damn things cheapppp.

Quote:
did u see the pics of my truck wotht he drop?
Hell yea, looks real good! But I'm set back a little on the suspension since the motor issue. but that's definitely next on the list!

Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #73
Can't kech me

when you do your drop, are you gonna run a bolt in notch, make your own? goin that low you run into more issues like shocks, and your front inner fenders not clearing. the pumpkin may even hit the bed floor. a 4/6 drop is much more streetable to do on a budget, and you'll be able to fit a little more tire so your ride is better.

for the tailgate, if it were me, i would try to find a suburban/blazer tailgate band, they're super clean, and different!

sounds like you're pretty set on black, but everyone does black! why not try something different that would be easier to keep clean, like a semi gloss white? not done very often and would be easier to keep clean! just an idea though, trucks gonna be cool!

Can't kech me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #74
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't kech me View Post
when you do your drop, are you gonna run a bolt in notch, make your own? goin that low you run into more issues like shocks, and your front inner fenders not clearing. the pumpkin may even hit the bed floor. a 4/6 drop is much more streetable to do on a budget, and you'll be able to fit a little more tire so your ride is better.

for the tailgate, if it were me, i would try to find a suburban/blazer tailgate band, they're super clean, and different!

sounds like you're pretty set on black, but everyone does black! why not try something different that would be easier to keep clean, like a semi gloss white? not done very often and would be easier to keep clean! just an idea though, trucks gonna be cool!
I had seen another member on here named Jewbacca ran a 3 inch lowering leaf with 4" shackles/hangers, says he has no notch and doesn't bottom out. If I do though I'll run front shocks on all four corners, and probably do 3" spindles with 2" springs, and maybe trim a little of the coil if any.

And anything can be 'streetable' and have a good ride, just depends how you set it up and if you know how to drive a lowered vehicle. Both of my 93 hatchbacks, my 94 coupe, and my 91 crx were slammed. You just can't haul booooty everywhere, know your roads, if you see a big dip or bump coming up slow down ahead of time so you don't get rear ended and take the obstruction easy.

And I'm not gonna run huge wheels either, just 15x8 rallys, no monster mud tire either lol so I shouldn't run into any clearance issues.

And everyone tells me not to go black since everyone and their dog has a black c10. But I love the way they look black. Muscle cars/old trucks always look super classy dressed up in a glossy black paint. But I think the older cars (chevelle, nova, cuda, chargers, etc.) Do look good with bright popping colors. I've just always wanted a black C10. Truck I've wanted since I was a little boy, and now I'm makin it :p lol

Last edited by cyclefreak207; 06-19-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Left out information
Old 06-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #75
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

running wth sohc wth exhaust coilovers n wheels that's all I knw