The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
YaoGuaiChevy

"Lifting" a 2wd 68 C20

Hey all, I have a 1968 Chevy C20. It sits at "stock" height and I wanted to raise it in sense to make it look cooler. My girlfriends dad said he had the same truck and put Air Shocks on all sides to lift it up and make it look more like a 4x4. I'm not mudding with mine or anything of the sort I just like High trucks. My concern is that I have Trailing arms instead of a leaf spring set-up and I was wondering if that would affect the "lift" of the Air Shocks? These Shocks are the kind where you can air them up with a garage compressor if that gives any more info.

Please don't just say "Better off with a 4x4" I don't care about your opinion.
YaoGuaiChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Re: "Lifting" a 2wd 68 C20

I would avoid the air shocks, they do not ride good, and tend to leak down regularly.

You would be better off swapping to one ton coils up front, they should give a slight lift over your 3/4 ton coils, maybe 1-2"

If you really wanted to do it right, you can swap out to the correct ball joints and run lift spindles for an 88-98 model 2wd truck, and while you are at it swap to discs up front. This will give you 3-4" and ride better than the one ton coils, you could add the coils as well though for 4-5". The back is another issue, you could either run taller lift coils or even airbags out back for lift, but as you lift the rear, it will move in an arc towards the front of the truck, causing your rear axle to not be centered in the wheel arch, though if you only go a couple inches it shouldn't be noticeable. You also would need to shim the axle for proper pinion angle.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: "Lifting" a 2wd 68 C20

Air shocks to help carry an occasional heavy load are ok at best. Air shocks to lift a truck is a horrible idea. They will extend your suspension and eliminate most of its travel.

Take a look in our FAQ forum for threads on this topic.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote