The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
regan56

I6 TO V8 motor mount loaction

Hey...I'm ready for the most part to drop my 327 into my 56 frame. Truck came with the I6 so I bought the Trans Dapt motor mount conversion kit. It's the bolt on one but I don't know where to locate it on the frame?

Can anybody give me an idea as to where to locate the motor mounts. I dont have the cab or the rad supports mounted..so a measurement from the end of the frame would be helpful.
regan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: I6 TO V8 motor mount loaction

i suggest you throw the cab on and located it right
someone's measurements may get you close but you need to set the height and distance to firewall to look right

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
regan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i suggest you throw the cab on and located it right
someone's measurements may get you close but you need to set the height and distance to firewall to look right
ya, thats what i figured would be the BEST way..i was delaying teh cab until later because its such a ***** to move and work around. its in storage right now and im working in a "2 car" attached garage...so space is limited, but i guess its time to bite the bullet and get in in.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
mikebte

Yes, for sure put the cab on an check fitment. I used the same mounts. Ended up removing stock brake lines and using the brake hose frame hole as a bolt hole.
I have yet to see two V8's in the exact same location. I looked at many before doing my V8 swap, and sure enough all the reference marks I had from other swaps did not work for my swap.
I used someone else's measurements on my first set in and my pulley was hitting the front cross-member, come to find out that "someone else" had under drive pulleys and was able to clear.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
mr48chev

Mikebte pretty well nailed it on those trucks. A lot of the V8 engines sit back with the cast iron bellhousing sitting on the stock crossember which can make things a bit tight to the firewall if you run Hei or tall cast valve covers some times.

Guys running an automatic often fudge the engine and trans forward a bit for clearance around the firewall but still have plenty of clearance up front.

Least trouble for you might be to look at someone else's truck with a V8 with tape measure in hand. Or maybe get measurements from one of the TF guys.

Years ago I saw one that some guy had set in the engine compartment placing it way forward of what you normally would as he wanted to get the fan up close to the radiator where it was in the six cylinder position rather than move the radiator and that looked a bit Odd with all the space behind it but it sure would have been easy to work on.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
Clarance J

Hello reagon 56. You can locate the front mount if you are using the stock bellhousing and rear mounts in the frame before the cab goes on. I did that on my 55.2 with my 327.

This will only work with a standard bellhousing. Automatics are a different story. Sorry no help there. You will figure it out. Theres a lot of good advice on here. Good luck with your project.

Earl
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
regan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarance J View Post
Hello reagon 56. You can locate the front mount if you are using the stock bellhousing and rear mounts in the frame before the cab goes on. I did that on my 55.2 with my 327.

This will only work with a standard bellhousing. Automatics are a different story. Sorry no help there. You will figure it out. Theres a lot of good advice on here. Good luck with your project.

Earl
Thx..I an using a 700r4 auto so...
Old 09-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
mikebte

About to weld my mounts in place, got a photo for you, I removed the E brake parts from the frame.
Attached Images

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote