The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
ArthurD

OBS Chevy 1500 DIY lift? Been done?

So here is my idea. I can't find it anywhere but I may just been blind and cant find it online. I got a 1995 k1500, its a nice clean truck and all and I love it. But she isn't tall enough. I am looking for about 5-6 inches of lift, but the $1200 price tag hurts a lot. I have been looking at all the kits and the installation pictures and it all seems like a bunch of plasma cut steel that is put together and welded. just to drop the front suspension.
now before everyone goes crazy on this here also, I am a machinist and have a full speed shop with every machine and tool I could need to make a kit. this cant be harder than a strait axle swap, I am looking for someone who has maybe done this before.
Thanks!

I am a Machinist.
ArthurD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: OBS Chevy 1500 DIY lift? Been done?

You would be better off in the long run stepping up to a straight axle if you want to gain that much lift. Dropping the front cradle on an IFS just creates a whole new set of problems
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:52 AM   #3
andrewmp6

I wouldn't waste my time on making a lift for a ifs truck.You can't even get any kind of locker for the front diff.A solid axle swap with leaf springs would be a way better off road then the ifs with a open diff.Take a look at http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/88-...Conversion.htm you could copy the brackets and it gives you all the info on what axle to run and t case.Besides the leaf spring brackets you need to make shock hoops and a panhard bar which should be easy for you.If its a daily driver look in to making a torison sway bar from the front also.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
b454rat

It would be a huge waste of time to design and build a lift for an IFS truck, when it's so much cheaper and easier to do a SAS. Really shouldn't say cheaper, but in the long run it will be. You can buy a it from Sky for about $400, or there are many others out there. I plan on doing mine, all with homemade stuff. DIY4X makes a universal spring mount for up front to locate the springs, then 73-87 2wd rear spring front hanger to hang the shackle.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
86454k30

Here is my 2 cents since I have had a lifted IFS and now a solid axle converted truck.

1) Are you going to wheel the truck...I mean hard? if so solid axle the truck
2) If you are going to just drive the truck and lightly play put an IFS lift kit in it. Rough Country has a decent 6" lift for $995.00 for everything.

After many years of research I solid axled my 98 K3500 I bought. For a couple reasons, 1) the entire front suspension was worn out, 2) I wanted to run 20" wheels on 37's and IFS components don't like that kind of weight and they drive terrible.

I am crazy picky so with that in mind here is my next statement, SAS is expensive to do correctly and keep it driving like it is "suppose" to drive. Caster is important to keep in mind when setting brackets up, if you want it to drive good put a track bar in it whether it is leaf spring swap or not. I fought mine for 3 months before I finally did it. My truck has a ford 60, offroad unlimited brackets and a offshelf/custom track bar. My truck looks factory IMO and from what I have been told.

If you are going to solid axle here are my thoughts:
1) Brackets: Off road design of fabworx offroad
2) Steering: any cross over is fine
3) Ruff stuff industries track bar kit

Sorry for the long winded but, I did this after much research. Would I do it again, probably not for a driver. My truck NEVER goes off road. Lots of people do it but I wouldn't call it easy or cheap if you are picky and want it to drive perfect.
86454k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
86454k30

Here is a pic from the passenger side wheel well.
Attached Images

86454k30 is offline   Reply With Quote